Print Story The Drama Llama Lives In My Home!
By atreides (Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 10:23:01 AM EST) (all tags)
I think now is a good time for a refresher on my in-laws. I think they will be featuring more prominently than before in the next few months to a year...

Welsh Girl has two younger sisters. The older of the two is Party Girl. This is a bit of a misnomer because when I first met her, she used to party all the time but since that time she has settled down quite a bit and become more responsible. I am not changing her moniker, though. This should be a reminder to you all that first impressions are very important. She has a fiancee, Bass Guy, who is a former credit analyst who ditched it to tour with his band and now works as a cook while he and Party Girl attempt to grow a catering business. Great guy. We all like him a lot. The younger of the two sisters is Dredlock Girl. Guess why I call her that. She is actually the one more likely to party a bit and the impromptu get-togethers that happen in her home are testament to that. She wants to apprentice to be a tattoo artist but has become a professional in the restaurant industry in the meantime. Her fiancee, Zombie Guy, is also a professional server but is socking away money for movie makeup schooling so he can enter the movie industry. He's also terribly considerate and has the patience of a saint. Great guy. We all like him a lot.

As many of you know, Welsh Girl and I are cohabitating with Dredlock girl and Zombie Guy. They had a house they were starting to have trouble making rent on which is larger than they need (the room we're in has been empty since they moved in) and we needed a place to move after the City started condemning parts of the house we were renting.

So, in the last four days since we've moved in, Dredlock Girl has had a mini-wigout because there were boxes all over her dining room (the day after we moved in), drunk herself to sleep twice that I'm aware of, woken the baby at midnight with her loud drunken laughing and made it clear (to Party Girl) that we're living in her house and it's going to be her rules. Ok... I mean, we're only paying half the bills, taking better care of the house than she does and taking care of a child at the same time. Please dictate your instructions and desires so that we may fulfill them forthwith! Last night, however, took some of the cake. She started an argument over the relativity of fame and by "started an argument" I mean "made a blanket statement and then began to vehemently and loudly attempt to defend her position when everyone in the room disagreed with her". My favorite exchange from the argument went as follows:

DG: Patricia Arquette is much more famous than Rosanna Arquette.
Everyone else: No she's not!
DG: Kids know Patricia better than Rosanna.
WG: Rosanna has done far more than Patricia!
DG: What's Rosanna done lately?
Atreides: What's Humphrey Bogart done lately? Is Patricia more famous than him?
Feeling that everyone was ganging up on her, she stormed out of the room and when someone accused her of being self-righteous all the time, she burst into tears and left for a while. When she finally did get back, she locked herself in her bedroom and refused to talk to anyone. This was a problem because when Zombie Guy called to get a ride back home from work, she wouldn't answer the call or take the phone. So I went and got him and when he got home, he talked her down a little. So I think the crisis will be defused by the end of today but I get the feeling that this is not the last one of these we're going to see. I do understand feeling set upon in your own home so on a certain level I understand why she might feel this way. However, we're talking about who's more famous not who kicked someone's cat or vomited in their bed or something like that. And she's the one who escalated the discussion to the level of it getting heated. I guess I should get her measurements so I can order her a thicker skin to wear around the house.

Otherwise, we're moved into our room. It's strange having the Despoina sleeping five feet away again. On the other hand, I can't lose a marble in the the cracks in the walls either. Life's little tradeoffs, I guess.

For now, that is all.

< Fly Away Home | What do we really need in our kitchen? >
The Drama Llama Lives In My Home! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Not so! You live in the drama llama's house by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 10:45:20 AM EST
Glad to hear you found a place.

Any chance you could set up an adult-style meeting for all four of you, to agree on the ground rules, rights and responsibilities for each couple? Last thing you need is arbitrary rules at the whim of someone whose stability appears less than stellar. Or sniping over whose house it is, especially when you're paying half the costs.

The thicker skin for her won't work. You and WG need a better "ignore" switch.

Keep the long run in mind - one day, the Despoina might have cousins who are the fruit of this woman's loins, and cousins are a ton of fun.

DO THIS!!! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 05, 2009 at 09:23:46 AM EST
Definitely have a talk, know the rules, set them out. Otherwise it will be a an escalating whirlwind of annoyance - it is troublesome to have a sharing situation where one person feels they are the in charge of all decisions. I would certainly try and nip that in the bud. There is no need for anyone to be on top if you guys are paying half. There are no "favours" being done here. They needed help with rent (so you're PAYING!), you needed a place to live, it's a win win, but certainly not a case of free handouts where you need to be grovelling around the house doing someones bidding. If you're paying, you're a renter and should be treated as such (as much as can be, knowing it's always gonna be a bit different when it's family). Anyway, that's my two cents.

Now I have to go wash a six year old girl who got dressed up in her nicest close then went out and played in the mud covering her  body and fresh clean clothes with it. Wiener kids.

*twinkle*twinkle*

It's a business arrangement by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 01:17:39 PM EST
...even if they're related.

I third this sentiment. Have a business meeting, and do your best to manage expectations.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I have to be nice wrt the in-laws by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 11:15:20 AM EST
Yeah, MiL drives me up a fucking wall every 5 minutes. Yeah, FiL does some weird shit, too. But they're the only living grandparents MildlyNaughtyPuppy has, and she's much more likely to spend time with them and Uncle Terracentric than he is with my siblings, Aunt Poodle and Uncle Bulldog. Lassie's parents dote and doting is good. For her.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Rosanna has a sister? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 06:22:40 PM EST

Click
WIPO: David Arquette by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 07:35:46 PM EST
if you do what marvin (i think - i'm buzzed and don't remember 5 seconds ago) says, then get it in writing!

That reminds me of some fun times by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 08:13:31 PM EST
For the past two years, our nuclear family has lived pretty much all by itself. In the 17 years I've been married, that's probably the longest we've gone with sharing a house, putting up somebody in a spare bedroom, hosting a long term couch surfer, or some combination thereof

Man, we've have some odd people pass through our house. Fun times. Fun times.

Or at least interesting.

I hope it works out for you. It is a situation that can certainly put relationships to the test.

Cicero, The Republic
Concerned over the Arquette sisters? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #6 Sat Sep 05, 2009 at 02:12:40 AM EST
Are you sure you're black?

As we used to say to a friend of mine by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 08:20:46 AM EST
"Dude, I don't care what your skin color is, you're the whitest guy I know." Usually said after he tried to be "ghetto." While wearing Dockers, Izod polo shirt (collar popped, of course), and boat shoes.

Really, he was a preppy as Ted Kennedy. Except Ted probably didn't play AD&D.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I expect more updates... by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Sep 06, 2009 at 11:14:53 AM EST