Print Story Brain on Fire/Cloxco
By johnny (Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:04:48 PM EST) (all tags)
I try to make my living as a writer.

I'm not especially good at it but I'm not dead or homeless (yet), so I guess I do it well enough in this cold cold world. I think this writerly profession will soon disappear. But it's the only salable skill I have other than managing groups of technical writers at computer or software companies, another profession fast disappearing. I'm a better manager of technical writers than I am writer (technical writer or novelist or blogger/diarist), but I much prefer being a writer to being a manager of writers.

I'm actually a very good manager of technical writers. I don't think there's anybody on earth who's done that job better than I have. But the last time I earned a paycheck doing that was in 2003, and I expect I'll never have a job doing that again. The world has changed, is changing, and I'm old and ancient and basically look like Skeletor to any hiring manager these days. A pretty overweight Sleletor. Plus there ain't no fucking jobs anyway.

When I write novels or whatnot, sometimes the words come easily, and sometimes they don't. When they're coming easily, I'm generally listening to music through earphones. And when they're coming really really easily, I say to any person who might interrupt me, "Please, my brain is on fire."

Tonight for the first time in a long, long, long, long while, I feel like my brain is on fire.

I started when I sat down to write something and by pure whim put on the Cloxco recording which I downloaded long ago.

Y'all HuSites who don't know what I'm talking about can find out easily enough.

So. Thanks, Blixco & Clock. That was really cool. I appreciate it. And tonight it actually helped me.

< So what am I supposed to do with this blood I brought? | Bits and pieces >
Brain on Fire/Cloxco | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
but I'm not dead or homeless (yet) by duxup (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:33:28 PM EST
That sounds like run away success to me when it comes to that craft.

____
Sweet. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:34:42 PM EST
I like their music, too. But I can't write with music that has lyrics in my ears. To each his own.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

For what it's worth, by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:29:04 PM EST
I totally love your books.

Also, I totally love the cloxco album.

--top hat--

You're quite welcome. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:34:37 PM EST
And thank you for the books. And the stories. And etc.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
glad to be of service... by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:57:33 PM EST
and thanks for YOUR work.  keep it up!  it ain't over yet.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

who but cloxco by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:08:43 PM EST
sets johnny's head aflame with smoke?

Glad/jealous am I of your conflagration. And call me a dreamer, but I don't think either profession is going away any time soon. Humans have a profound need for stories, which means the world will always need storytellers, like yourself. And until software becomes so intuitive that it needs no explanation, they'll need writers for that too. I believe both of these things, partly because I have to, but mostly because they're true. It is damn hard to stand out among the masses of others trying to make their way in this game, though. That is not just something I believe, it's a fact.

Meanwhile, enjoy the fire when it comes.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician

Brain on Fire/Cloxco | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback