Print Story Contracting fail!
Working life
By squigs (Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 06:25:37 AM EST) (all tags)
So, I quit my job and became a contractor.

Looked great!  9 month contract !  I could even give a month's notice.   So I give my one month notice, leave.

Then I call up the agent and ask what the working hours are. Get called back.  Apparently they don't want me any more.  Internal reorganisation.  Gee thanks a bundle.  At least I get paid for this week.

Still, finding another contract is pretty hard.  Companies keep advertising and then deciding they don't want to offer so much.
Also seems that I need security clearance or UML experience, or some obscure banking systems.  Hell, I could probably do most of the jobs that need C#, Forms, Embedded C, or SQL, and maybe half the PHP/Python/Perl jobs out there too.  I just don't know for sure.

I suck at contracting.

So, anyone want to hire a C++ coder?
< How fast of an internet connection do I want? | Where do you go from here? >
Contracting fail! | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Whoops by hulver (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:11:44 AM EST
No chance of getting your old job back?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
No by squigs (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:58:13 AM EST
No, I they were having enough trouble finding work for me as it was.

Contracting sucks by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:29:07 AM EST
Unfortunately most companies these days, at least in NoVa, hire contractors and then, after a few months, offer them permanent jobs.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

that's how i got my job. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 12:42:36 PM EST
I will hire you if ... by me0w (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:15:39 AM EST
You will rub my back and tell me it will all be ok.

Also, you have to work for $1.34.

$1.34? by squigs (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:57:35 AM EST
I'll do that for free!

Just lie. by technician (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:15:51 AM EST
Our contractors...probably 80 percent of them...have no idea how to construct code. But they have google, and manuals, and momentum; once we take them on, it is easier to keep them than to let them go, even if they are a contractor. You have to fail in a spectacular way (read: leak state secrets, pee on the boss, show up to work naked and drunk with a camera crew on the tail of a high speed pursuit, etc) to get walked.

So, gloss over the bits you don't know.  You now program in C and C-like languages. And you know Java. Because even the people who know Java, they don't know Java. Push the ways that you program, like the methodologies you use, and invent new ones.  You're a master of the Burrison Moles Bitney optimization management method. You can do anything Just In Time or Just Nearly Close Enough, Thanks.

Mostly, push your ability to solve logic problems. Mention that you interviewed at Google but decided that the move wasn't worth it.

Just, lie like a rug.

Everybody knows Java! by gpig (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:47:27 AM EST
It turns out that even my dog knows Java. I wasn't surprised.
(,   ,') -- eep
hey by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 06:05:43 AM EST
I know BMB-optimaization management method. In fact I used it on a project I nearly worked on for about a gazillion years ago. Can I get a cookie now?

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Does this site give cookies? by technician (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:28:32 AM EST

anyone want to hire a C++ coder by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:40:41 AM EST
Willing to work in Portsmouth?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Contract or permie? by squigs (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:37:37 AM EST
Probably not. Not willing to relocate anyway and don't want a 90 min commute.

Unless this is a contractor position in which case,  YES!

We do use contractors by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:38:31 AM EST
But not ones with 0 games industry experience.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
That's not a big problem by squigs (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:51:54 AM EST
5 published games + 3 unpublished.   6 if you count a game that I didn't actually contribute any release code to.  Experience on PC, PSP, XBox 360 and Wii.

send in a CV by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:21:36 AM EST
To jobs (at) climaxgroup.com

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Which banking systems by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:28:31 AM EST
And are you willing to work in Londinium Citeh for the greedy banker capitalist pig dogs who started in America?

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash. by squigs (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:48:34 AM EST
Actually the skilsets seem to require knowledge of credit risk and market risk type stuff.

No problem working for greedy capitalist pig dogs as long as they pay other greedy mercenary pig dogs like me enough money.

VaR and the like, yes. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:29:08 AM EST
You're stuffed without experience then, sorry.

Not surprising. by squigs (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:40:01 AM EST
I figure there's a reason some jobs pay up to £550 a day.

Still, looking at this, it looks like they aren't all about that.

The high paying ones are. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:55:31 AM EST
For most of the C++ stuff it's front office - realtime data feeds, basket pricing and P&L calcs.

Which again, as a contractor, they'd want you to have oodles of experience.

Keep digging though; you might find something that isn't too market specific in the Citeh.  A lot of banks have now realised that slashing their IT departments in the last 9 months means that they have no new development capacity; some of that does not need banking specific experience.

The answer to the last question is by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:59:24 AM EST
yes, provided large capitalist bonuses are on offer still

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
How about java? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:17:27 AM EST

You have mastered the most important by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:50:53 AM EST
part of contracting: paying no tax.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Tax avoidance by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:26:06 AM EST
For fun and profit.

How would that fit with Socialist ideals I wonder?

Notably, Mr Blair seems to have spent less than 90 days in the UK per year...

Contracting fail! | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback