Print Story How fast of an internet connection do I want?
Gadgets
By gzt (Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 04:14:31 PM EST) gzt, moving couches (all tags)
So I'm setting things up here at my new place, and I wonder, how fast of an internet connection do I really want? It would be silly to say need because I do not need an internet connection.

I typically do things like e-mail at home, but we would occasionally watch streamed videos over the internet and want decently high quality for that, so I'm thinking the basic 768 DSL wouldn't be good enough. But could it be? Budgets are tight, but not that tight, but every expenditure still makes one think whether something can be done to avoid it. So one ponders just how fast one wants the internet to be and whether the cost is justified by the benefit. One could simply say, "Forget it, it's just $10 or $15 more," but if one says that about every recurring expense, it adds up quickly.

In other news, I'm trying to automate something that will save hours of terribly silly manual labor. I know, in pseudo-code, what the algorithm has to do, I just don't know how to turn that into either a macro or VBA or whatever. Basically, the idea is that we have this little Access database. It has information about stuff. There are, say, ten divisions, and they want to have an Excel spreadsheet for each division containing, say, 5 or so reports. So the obvious solution is to just have the 5 queries that take the division name as a parameter and have the thing go through the list of divisions, making a spreadsheet for each division containing the results of all 5 reports. The problem is I really don't know my way around these functions and I have Other Things To Do and this, while interesting, is possibly not really my responsibility. It's just something that's going to be helpful to other members of the team and reduce general workload - but not mine, directly. Still, I think it would get kudos from the boss, which is what really matters.

I have a cold. It's terribly annoying.

We need to find a way to move this couch. We need to find a guy with a few hours free, coordinate with the landlord of the place the couch is in, and rent a van. Perhaps a second woman would be sufficient, but having two people on one end is not very good on a stairway. However, the person on top does not bear much load, IIRC, so one woman in that instance might be sufficient... I'll have to draw some diagrams. I don't want to end up in a Dirk Gently situation.

< He didn't seem particularly good at knitting | Contracting fail! >
How fast of an internet connection do I want? | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
DSL by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 05:33:01 PM EST
if you don't have to sign a contract, it doesn't hurt to try the cheap and see if you need more. If you aren't streaming hulu or netflix or other sources commonly it may not be necessary.

we stream hulu by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 05:49:25 PM EST
on DSL. Its not the best thing, but it works.
---------
can you get the 480p, or only the 320? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 06:04:23 PM EST

low res only by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:35:12 AM EST
unfortunately. but it's enough.
---------
benefits by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 06:18:47 PM EST
To get the cheapest rate, you have to sign a contract for a year. We stream  hulu and such, yeah, that's the video stuff.

Get the cheapie by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 08:52:08 PM EST
I've never heard of a company that wasn't willing to overlook the current contract if you want to give them more money.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
but the more expensive one... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 10:33:51 PM EST
...will give a rebate for the modem. Only to new customers.

I have 1.5M DSL by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 06:03:46 PM EST
and it's okay for most things. I'm boosting it to 3M, though. I'd like to get 6M (for a mere $10 more than 3M), but my line won't support it.

Netflix (Silverlight) is acceptable at 1.5M. Hulu (Flash) and some others have trouble. MLB.tv (Flash) really wants a lot. At least the "premium" package does.

AT&T, I assume? by lolwhat (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 06:00:23 AM EST
Here's the game to play, which only works if you're not currently under contract: Call Customer Service and go through the prompts for cancelling service. When a rep answers the phone, tell them that you'd like to cancel, because your service is too expensive. They'll give you the typical customer-retention spiel; persist with the "it's expensive, I need to cut back" line. It shouldn't take too long for them to offer you some good deals; they can do this to try to save a customer if the scripted retention arguments fail.

I've gone through this exact process a couple of times with AT&T. Last time I did it (earlier this year), I was able to go from 1.5 to 3.0 for $5/mo. less! So it doesn't hurt to try. Again, however, this doesn't work if you're under contract; you can try for a same-price upgrade in that case, but you obviously don't have as much leverage as you do if you're free to walk.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.

Well, here's the thing: by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:17:49 AM EST
I currently don't have any sort of service whatsoever. I don't think the game works, then. However, I may try that in a few months once I have the rebate for my modem in hand and have gotten the 3 $20 credits to my account.

Oh. by lolwhat (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 03:02:05 PM EST
Uh, oops.
You want fiber optic by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 06:02:36 AM EST
At least 15 mb/s!

unless you can't get FIOS.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 08:03:26 AM EST
I guess AT&T U-verse speeds are pretty crappy in comparison.

-1: Verizon by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:19:05 AM EST

Well, by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:25:57 AM EST
Well, FIOS is handled by a whole other corporate division from DSL/copper.

My understanding is that they want to get rid of copper entirely.

It's still Verizon by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 10:30:39 AM EST
but Boston will not see FIOS within the measurable future, so the point is moot.

And, while I realize I'm not typical, the nature of the work I do means I violate their ToS, so I couldn't get it anyway without paying for vastly inflated business class service.

Yeah, go with the 768 dsl. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 07:19:57 AM EST
It won't BUFFERINGhamper your BUFFERINGvideoBUFFERING experiBUFFERINGence at BUFFERINGall.

so my empirical evidence by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 10:14:25 AM EST
you tipped me over the edge, after legally free-loading of a wifi*  for the last couple of years. So after mulling your post over, I plunged into the depths of our employee information pages and found out that my employer has a deal with a xDSL company, which effectively gets me cheap(er) internet. I went for the 4500/1000 kbps package, mostly because the three lower packages (1000/1000, 3500 and 4500) had the same price (which sort of befuddles me). The next few, is as expected, a few $localdollars more expensive per increment.

That's my couple of $inflatedlocalcents worth of information...

*(with access provided by work credentials which seems to dip in strength every now and then (the upside being that the access-point as 100mbit ethernet to the internet, so it's q-uick when it works, then again when it doesn't work all the speed in the world couldn't matter)

-- The revolution will not be televised.