Print Story Concord Grapes
Food
By wiredog (Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 09:23:00 PM EST) (all tags)
So every year, about this time of year, for a few weeks, we get Concord Grapes in the local stores.

DC is about as far south as I've seen them, and never west of the Appalachians. Fresh concord grapes (as opposed to juice or jelly) are a norhteastern thing.

They're my favorite grape. Much better than the seedless varieties. I will eat them with lunch and dinner for a week or two, and then I'll have to wait a year to get them again. There's something nice and old fashioned about that.

< Blogging Recorded LIVE! | We might make new human beings. >
Concord Grapes | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeahup, it's grape pie time by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 06:00:26 AM EST
I grew up near an abandoned greenhouse, with lots of concorad grapes growing semiwild.

and the grape pie is good! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 09:16:41 AM EST
I bought a small one for Mrs. Ha and I, it was $5.50, but darn tasty.

Muscadines are my favorite. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 06:06:16 AM EST
I grew up eating them straight from my grandfather's vines. I can occasionally find them here, but concords are a good substitute. Like you, I don't much like the seedless varieties.
West of the Appalachians by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 08:32:04 AM EST
You can get them anywhere along the great lakes. We had several vines in our back yard when I lived in Ahia.

And one of the biggest sources is the Welches vineyards near Jamestown, NY

i've gotten concord grapes by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 11:10:47 AM EST
in my local chain hippie food store.
Cannot recall every having seen them by johnny (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 11:51:55 AM EST
in stores, but they grew all over the farm where I grew up in New Jersey. I would eat those babies by the ton.

You see them once in a while by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:58:28 PM EST
in farm stands and hippy stores, but they have seeds, so people don't seem to like them for table grapes. Their loss.
Them grapes by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 12:06:48 PM EST
The only think I've ever known about them is in some advert for juice.

____
And by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:56:50 PM EST
jelly
Yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 02:25:37 PM EST
Otherwise I would have never heard of them.

____
We had an old Austrian man by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 02:27:06 PM EST
Who used to sell fresh grape juice at the farmer's market.

What I didn't realize was that his truck was full of grapes, and he was actually making the juice on a per-purchase basis.

It was really delicious, but you had to drink it within 48 hours or it would start to build up a lot of yeast in the jug.

One of the things I really miss about being a kid by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 07:45:16 PM EST
. . . is way back then, we only had most fruits fresh when they were in season.

Cicero, The Republic
And, since they were local by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 25, 2009 at 07:16:39 AM EST
They tended to actually be ripe when in the store. I got nice ripe peaches here for about a week. On either end of that week they were hard enough to hammer nails with.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Not only were they ripe in the store by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Sep 25, 2009 at 07:18:43 AM EST
But they were not selectively bred to be resistant to bruising during transit and, consequently, didn't taste like cardboard even if ripe.

I really should try to find a convenient CSA program.

Cicero, The Republic