Print Story We might make new human beings.
Drugs
By gzt (Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 12:12:28 PM EST) deadlift, gzt, ynab, sketchy roommate (all tags)
It's a distinct possibility that, in the future, we might make new human beings. Ain't that wild?

My job exists at the moment.

I got my car out of the shop last night. I'll drive it around a bit this evening and get the emissions tested tomorrow, I think. Driving home on Lake Shore Drive last night probably got most things ready, but I want to be sure.

Marriage license Saturday. Keys to new place, with some moving of stuff on Saturday. A friend of ours is giving us her old couch if we want it. The only question is moving it. It would take some coordination, since I need to get a truck/van and another male, as well as make sure I have both at a time when we could get into the place. I will also need a truck/van to move some of my stuff, but would we do both at once? Again, difficult to coordinate. Of course, we may have all the time in the world to move the couch, so, whatevs. But this does bring up the question: how and when am I going to move my desk and bookshelf? I just need a cargo van. I may as well throw all my stuff in if I get one - but then the question of time comes up.

I got crowns taken care of last night - there were some questions about the order. And they assured me I would get them by the 18th.

Roommate I pay rent through thought he may have lost one of my rent checks. Sketchy. So today I printed off the canceled checks from my bank web site. I'll show them to him. If he didn't cash them, somebody did with his signature. Perhaps he thought one of them was for the deposit, which I would get back next week when I move out if it were, and which I thought we wouldn't bother with because I'm only here three months. If so, we'll be cool. If not, he's boned.

Should I be worried that I do not have any meetings on my calendar past Tuesday? I heard rumors...

I really like YNAB.

My back is killing me. It's screaming, "DEADLIFTS. I NEED DEADLIFTS." I'm running around too much these days to get to the gym and that's bad.

< Concord Grapes | So why don't old women catch the references to the songs of my youth? >
We might make new human beings. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Don't do it by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 12:40:27 PM EST
The Economist says that birth control is the most cost-effective method of reducing emissions and climate change.

I wonder when they'll adopt 'breeders' by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:16:16 PM EST

That's what childless cow-irkers used to call me by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:23:00 PM EST
Until they had kids of their own, anyways.

Not much risk of that with gzt - he was worried about what books to take and discuss on the honeymoon. A very platonic fellow indeed.

pfffff by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:42:33 PM EST
I misread "books" as "boobs".

Too early for a threesome by marvin (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:47:54 PM EST
Wait until at least after your first anniversary.

I'm lost. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:51:27 PM EST
I think I'll go back to my books.

For the developing world. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:24:22 PM EST
Don't worry, white westerners are cool.

Air conditioning helps with that by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:33:00 PM EST
The current situation is unjust, and while I favour moving towards a flat per-capita carbon allocation, I have one concern with that which is based on equity instead of greed. I live at 50 degrees north, and we can get snow from late October through late March. Anyone who lives in a northern climate needs to use more energy for heating than someone in Africa or much of southeast Asia, and flat allocations need to consider that.

Apart from that geographic difference, my kids will use more energy and produce more CO2 in their lifetimes than a small African village. It isn't really fair to expect that African village to cut back from almost nothing to even less, especially when G8 energy consumption could stand to be trimmed so much.

African village by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:48:59 PM EST
Probably true. The question becomes more difficult when we discuss Indian and Chinese villages, however.

Some of the rich in cities perhaps by marvin (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:57:28 PM EST
Villages, and the typical poor person, no. When you don't own a car, live in a dwelling without central heating or AC, live in a house with maybe 50 square feet of dwelling space per person, and will never ride in an airplane, there is no way you can even come close to western consumption levels.

My non-renewable CO2 production, while less than most people who live on my street (I drive very little, heat with wood, etc), is probably still in the 90th percentile on a global basis.

And this is why the white birthrate is so high. by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 05:39:21 PM EST
Oh, wait...

It probably is by gpig (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:26:50 PM EST
Unfortunately, some people don't react well to that idea, even in its mildest reasonable form.

I mean, I'm not the Economist's biggest fan (see my last diary) .... but some of the commenters talk like the article is suggesting a one-child policy or mandatory sterilisation, when in fact all they're suggesting is that women who want contraception should get it.
(,   ,') -- eep

Shout "Eugenics" in a crowded theatre by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:37:15 PM EST
As soon as you start talking about state sponsorship of anything that could reduce childbirth rates, the spectre of eugenics arises. There are a bunch of nutters out there who believe in vast, shadowy UN conspiracies that include forced reductions in population through mass executions by the One World Government.

I think that Malthus and the Club of Rome got a lot of things right, but they couldn't forecast the temporary boost that fossil fuels, fertilizer, and the green revolution would give us.

Perpetuation of the species by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:27:44 PM EST
and locking down property rights are really the only valid rationales for the institution of marriage.

Yeah, sex on tap is the biggest lie about marriage by marvin (4.00 / 6) #9 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:39:17 PM EST
If you want anything on tap, buy a keg instead. It's cheaper, more reliable, and guaranteed to be willing and able every time you want some.

Have you met my friend Second Trimester? [entea] by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 02:39:42 PM EST

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Results not typical by marvin (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 03:09:58 PM EST
That fatigue you're feeling right now? You'll forget that there was a second trimester after around 5 years of that.

Before you make that decision by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:44:21 PM EST
How about stopping by the DogHouse for a visit? You can sort of take one of them new humans out* for a test spin, kick the tires, check out what these babies have to offer. Financing options may be limited; you may qualify for some tax breaks. No dealer stock available. You must take delivery +/- three months of expected production date. Delivery, taxes, tags, title and insurance extra.

* by "out" we mean "in", allowing mum and dad to have a much-needed three-hour break

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

It gets easier.... by marvin (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 02:06:08 PM EST
Yeah, I'm totally lying about that. Sorry for raising your hopes and then crushing them like that.

Ob by Herring (4.00 / 5) #19 Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 05:04:29 PM EST