Print Story Things that kind of blow:
Art
By gzt (Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 03:58:23 PM EST) gzt, gym, open bar, apartment (all tags)
1. Searching for apartments.

Saw a 2BR garden apartment yesterday. It was very cheap and well-located (heat and cooling included), but the ceilings were six inches above my head (2 inches in some places) and the yard and exterior were not kept up well. The place got little natural light, so that was a dealbreaker.

R looked at a place the other day which seemed pretty nice, but she kept mentioning that it was small. I was going to have a look at it last night, but couldn't agree on a time. She became increasingly concerned at the apartment's size over time. We were going to go see it together on Thursday evening, but, after a night of fretting, she decided against finding the place, since there are plenty of larger apartments available at reasonable prices.

Okay, this isn't too painful for me, since she's doing most of it, as she has a much more flexible schedule and lives near the places we're looking at.

2. Wedding registries.

Mostly angst, mostly my problem. Angst about not really having one yet.

3. Death.

Death blows. It's coming soon for some people.

4. Addressing invitations.

It's a lot of work. And the bastards don't always give us their addresses. And maybe we should've had a smaller guest list. But, whatevs, it'll be fine.

5. Cash bars at weddings.

I think the entire concept is appalling. Yes, I would earnestly suggest a dry wedding as opposed to a cash bar. Yes, I do love booze as much as the next man. If you have issues with the expense, I recommend throwing a wedding that you can afford without a cash bar, perhaps locating it at a time of day when alcohol is not socially expected or with a smaller guest list. Anyway, so I voiced my opinion loudly in public (not at a wedding with a cash bar, don't worry). Apparently some people do not like it when I am that opinionated. Okay.

7. Not making it to the gym.

I couldn't find my gym pass. When I found it, it was later in the day and I was all like, meh, forget it. I'm busy tonight. I have slipped back into going to the gym in the evenings instead of the mornings with the attendant scheduling problems. I'll be busy with R tomorrow evening. Okay. Fine. I'll have to try to get out in the mornings again, I guess, since it just won't work otherwise.

< First they came for the smokers... | Canadian healthcare >
Things that kind of blow: | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
bar .. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 04:11:01 PM EST
One notable wedding we went to was in Seattle, 10 AM. Now, being from the east coast, that made me feel like it was really 1.. So I hit the open bar for gin/tonics, long island ice tea, boy that was a fun one. Now, being that drunk by noon, that was a new experience. Caused me to miss out on much after-wedding fun activities..

But our wedding itself was dry. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, I'm stumped thinking of a time by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 05:43:18 PM EST
when alcohol isn't appropriate. Now, it's probably been since my college days that I started drinking at 8:30, though I wouldn't turn down a bloody Mary on a nice weekend morning.

cash bar by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 06:09:36 PM EST
we did one...kinda. We had free beer and soda, but anything other than that was cash. Most of our guests drank one or the other, and around here that's such a common way to do it that nobody was surprised by it.
---------
Item 6 is missing by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 09:47:26 PM EST
Mine was at 2pm, no alcohol, no problem. Of course, half of the guest list would have been shocked had alcohol been served, and the other half didn't worry that it was missing.

It's your wedding. If some people are more worried about getting plastered for free than they are about being there to celebrate you ending your life, resigning your manhood, and handing over your testicles and your beloved beginning a new life together, then f*** 'em. Your wedding will be better without that type of people.

Go dry, and separate the wheat from the chaff.

My wedding is open bar. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 11:22:35 PM EST
But, yeah, that's essentially what I think. If you don't want to pay for an open bar, have it in the afternoon and do it dry. If somebody thinks you need to give them booze at 3pm in order to be happy, they have a problem.

There would have been no issues at all if we decided to have a dry reception. We decided to have a wet reception because we wanted one.

Minor edit by marvin (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 02, 2009 at 11:40:03 PM EST

Alcohol... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 03, 2009 at 12:48:19 AM EST
A few friends of ours took it upon themselves to pick up a bottle of wine each month until our wedding. With their contributions and a case of wine and a couple cases of beer we picked up the week before, we had more than enough and we had around 100 people...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

What's wrong with by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 03, 2009 at 10:23:13 AM EST
limiting the selection? Why not just wine and beer. I don't see the need to provide liquor.
Having a limited selection is fine. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 03, 2009 at 12:26:12 PM EST
"Open" really referred to whether people had to pay anything or not, though I suppose that really has the connotation of, "Everything at the bar is available!" The real issue is that you can't host a large party and expect the guests you invited and are entertaining to purchase their own refreshments and that it is better to provide refreshments that are within your means than it is to tell them they must purchase refreshments. If that means a dry reception, okay. If that means beer and wine, okay. If that means the finest alcohols in the land, sure.

That's just my opinion.