Print Story The Economist magazine
By gpig (Sat Sep 19, 2009 at 08:08:44 AM EST) (all tags)
So after Alan2009's recent diary entry (http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2009/9/16/125214/540), I decided to read it again for the first time in a while ....

I was mainly thinking, well, they definitely had a bit of a slant, mixed up editorialising with their news articles (a desperately annoying trait in a newspaper), and didn't name their columnists -- but it wasn't that bad, was it?

And I felt justified, until I got to the introduction of the new column Schumpeter. Which is, as near as I can tell, a full-on apology for Ayn Rand.

Ah well. I'll still buy it occasionally, I imagine, as even the next best thing (the BBC website) doesn't do in-depth international coverage quite as well. I'll just have to stay on alert for the free-market propaganda ....

< This is when I'm supposed to say | Yeah, I guess I know. I just hate how it sounds. >
The Economist magazine | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
stay on alert for the free-market propaganda by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 10:43:19 AM EST
Free market propaganda? In a center-left newspaper called The Economist? Who knew!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

There's nothing left-wing about the Economist by gpig (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 10:51:38 AM EST
Not so far as I can tell, anyway.
(,   ,') -- eep
Anti-prohibitionism? by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 11:00:04 AM EST
One could understand

Let the God damned hippies smoke their pot. Its no worse than whiskey and cigars.

as a blunt, honest right-wing reaction against modern left-wing utopian visions of the perfectibility of man through collective action including legislation. Or not :-)

True by gpig (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 12:20:14 PM EST
On the social liberal-conservative scale, they're liberal. But in the economic sense (where I would judge them, given their name) I would call them right-wing.
(,   ,') -- eep
Remember, wiredog is talking from an American by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 02:12:45 PM EST
perspective, where Barack Obama is considered an incredible leftist.

Not by actual American leftists. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 03:30:31 PM EST
But good point. The American scale is definitely skewed rightward compared to those on the other side of the Atlantic.
Except by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 06:38:37 PM EST
From an American perspective, they are massively left wing on health care and gun control.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That's because the USian rightwing by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Sep 22, 2009 at 11:01:55 AM EST
Is batshit insane.

No, the UK has simply given up by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 08:42:13 AM EST
and won't fight when the descendants of King George III come to take over their country.

The Economist magazine | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback