Print Story Attempting to stay young and relevant,
Books
By georgeha (Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 09:14:47 AM EST) Facebook, PTO, MC Lars, dementia, hair -cutting and washing man out of (all tags)
I fail it!

Plus Tales of the South Pacific, Blind Man's Bluff, Victory at Sea, big day, Lego, Mighty Taco! Facebook is boring, first flannel and less.

Poll: Friending your children's friend's on FB?

It was a weekend, I'll grant that. Saturday eight year old wanted a playdate, and wanted a playdate with preschool_girl, which is a rare thing, so she came over, as did preschool_mom, boy and toddler. Preschool_boy loves Lego, and his dad doesn't play it with him, so heck, I was game, and spent a long time building a flying boat, using a wooden rowboat for the boat part. I ended up giving him a few pieces, too. He'll get more out of them than I will.

In depressing news, we visited my mother_in_law in the dementia ward on Sunday, she seemed foggier than usual, did not repeatedly ask when we were moving to Buffalo, and did not go on and on about her ex and her kids. She just kind of was.

Mrs. Ha's brother also stopped by, and we had a short chat. Later, on the way back to Rochester we stopped at Mighty Taco for a quick bite, it wasn't very relaxing since there seemed to be a pee-wee football team running around. My taco was okay, but still not as good as their radio ads.

On Tuesday We let out oldest walk to the bus stop alone, first time ever. It really isn't as big a deal as it seems, she's been walking home from the bus stop most afternoons, and there's more sketchy people out at 3 pm than 7:30 am. It does let me get to work by 8:30, I'm usually here by 9.

It was also payday, the first half of September was rough, due to back to school and my wife having smaller than usual paychecks (due to vacations and Labor Day). We still need to get a backpack and sneakers for our youngest.

Since I was able to put money in my pocket, I got a haircut that day too. The barber is a younger woman, and as we talked about our respective summers and festivals we attended, I mentioned biking to the Lilac Festival to see MC Lars. "Who?" Apparently keeping up with the younger kids is harder than just listening to alternative radio.

On to media news.

After reading Zero, and got to thinking about Coast Watchers, and what was that musical about Coast Watchers, ohyeah, South Pacific, which turned out to be based on a book of Michener's short stories called Tales of the South Pacific, which I soon found an old copy at the library close to my job. I think it was printed in 1961.

In other nautical books, while browsing the non-fiction at the library, I found Blind Man's Bluff, about US submarine based espionage, mostly against Russia. It was more personal and less technical than the similar Silent War, though Craven is mentioned in both, and much of it deals with the finding of K-129.

In a similar vein, years ago I bought a copy of Victory at Sea, and I started going through them when Mrs. Ha went to bed early. The Japanese movies of the attack on Pearl Harbor made you really appreciate the balls of carrier pilots, those carriers are darn small to fly off and land on.

"I don't get Facebook, it's boring"  said thirteen, until yesterday. Newspaper_girl got an FB account last week, and yesterday she called me asking for permission to get one too. Now I'm faced with the question of the appropriateness of friending her friends (the ones I know at least). I'm thinking no.

I'm going to call summer over, despite the equinox not yet here. My parent's pool is closed, the kids are in school, and I wore a soft comfy flannel today instead of a Hawaiian shirt.

< To The Emperor! | on vacating >
Attempting to stay young and relevant, | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Kid's FB friends by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 09:24:31 AM EST
Only if the kid's friend me. My daughter's boyfriend (a very sweet boy) isn't my FB friend, but my daughter's best friends are. I'm not going to step in were I'm not wanted.

My parent's were FB friends with my niece's boyfriend. When he dumped her, Grandpa couldn't help but write something snarky on his wall. Probably not a good thing, but it made my dad feel better.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I agree by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 06:47:20 PM EST
with only if the kids friends me.

I may not be a great class mom, but I am twitter mom.

Which is amusing as I get to say such classic things to LO as "hey, you know so and so already read the book and wrote her book report, what about you?"

But seriously, you would be shocked at the number of kids whose parents are scared of or don't understand technology, even as simple as twitter or fb.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 09:33:12 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Tales of the South Pacific by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 09:53:29 AM EST
First Michener book I read, back when I was 12 or so. And very different from his later ones it is, too.

I've got Blind Man's Bluff in hardcover. Pretty good book.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I meant to add more by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:00:19 AM EST
I liked it, the short stories were related, characters were continued from one to another, and many of them died.

I've read a other Michener, Hawaii at least, maybe Space, and they're different, much longer.

I need to find my copy of Silent War and reread it.

Michener writes long. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:01:37 AM EST
Space is decent, The Covenant (which has been really OTBE'd) is pretty good. Never made it through Hawaii or The Source.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Friends across the generation gap by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:03:47 AM EST
I have happy memories of when the father of a school friend showed me a proof that the square root of two was irrational. I cannot remember how old I was, but it was definitely too young, perhaps ten years old.

Indeed it might be more accurate to say that a friend whose son went to school with me showed me a proof that the square root of two was irrational. There can be genuine and wholesome friendships between adults and weird children.

Yeah, the internet can facilitate that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:06:59 AM EST
and what does friend on FB really mean, other than someone I acknowledge to exist and I will let look at my pictures.

And can use to stalk my children? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 01:45:05 PM EST
I mean, now you can see what your kids post on their walls.

that would be the by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 01:50:48 PM EST
Yes, to keep track of them option

the onion has covered this... by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 06:48:56 PM EST
a grey box, with rounded corners? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 08:00:40 PM EST
Recall I'm a slow Ubuntu, as the desktop and laptop are being used for FB and webkinz, respectively.

XP firefox for the win by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 08:46:04 PM EST

actually by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 11:17:48 PM EST
my mac running the latest version of firefox had problems with it too.
Farmville? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 03:01:10 PM EST
Silly kid, doesn't realize FB is for political rants.