Print Story Thinking about [redacted]
Puzzles & Riddles
By gzt (Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 12:40:57 PM EST) gzt, book, honeymoon (all tags)
I think it is, in the end, advisable that I stay on pay-as-you-go, possibly with a texting package, and use Skype for long calls instead of R and I getting a shared plan. I simply don't use the phone enough to make it worthwhile - and I will use it less when married. It's like a total of $20-25/month.

I didn't get up early enough to take my car in to the shop before work like I had planned, but I was up early enough to come in to work early. So I came in to work early and will leave early enough to take my car in.

I wrote a diary yesterday, hit the preview button, then ran off. Oops. I thought I had submitted, but didn't. I discussed in depth about how it is definitely best to ditch the car and how it may - but may not - need enough work to get rid of it even for $0.

I ordered crowns for the wedding on Saturday, but now I'm not sure the order went through. The only e-mail I got from them was a confirmation that I had created an account at the site, nothing about the order. Further investigation reveals my card has not been charged, but that doesn't mean much: they may charge only when the order is shipped. I'll call them today, I suppose. But... if the order went in today, would it have enough time to get through? Well, probably. I'll call today to see what is up.

This project may turn into a "cluster of fun". I need to draft my thoughts so I can tell whether it's going to turn into something I can do or something that will be outside my capabilities by tomorrow's meeting. And whether we can actually get the data we need and get something rigorous turned around by October. I don't like it. I'm not a statistician. I don't even play one on TV.

We need to come up with some good books to read and discuss on the honeymoon. I will finish Don Quixote, I think, but we thought we'd pick a book to read and discuss together. Perhaps a novel, perhaps a play, something not too heavy, but not light, enough weight that you can discuss it for a few days, but light enough that it's appropriate for a honeymoon. Some Kundera might do nicely, but I've read most of his oeuvre. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I think I have read most of the stuff that would be appropriate. But they have the right feel to my mind. She has a degree in English and, right before we started dating, I made it a point to read The Tempest and The Sea and the Mirror so we could discuss them, just so you have an idea of what sort of stuff we're into. I could revisit Kundera or Garcia Marquez, I suppose, it's been a while. But why not look at somebody new?

SO: BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS?

If any of you recommend that one McEwan book, though, I'll beat you senseless.

< Shake It All About | To The Emperor! >
Thinking about [redacted] | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
crowns for the wedding ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:01:52 PM EST
I mean, I guess dentistry is good for the soul.. I think Mr. Ha would appreciate some dentistry-loving sent his was as well..

I'm good by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:13:30 PM EST
at least until I remember the password to my dental benefits site to see how much those black licorice scotty dogs cost me.

a shared plan might be cheaper by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:13:24 PM EST
You get more minutes and calling each other doesn't count. Most shared plans also have either a free 2nd line or $10/month for it.

Nope. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:53:30 PM EST
Looked at the prices. On the sort of plan she's on, it's like 30 more to add somebody. If it were 20 or 25, I'd go for it, because there's enough error in the calculation of my own expenses, but it's 30. Actually, I could see if she might want to use my Skype as well and therefore require fewer minutes or something...

hmm.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:16:35 PM EST
I checked Shared plans from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, with unlimited messaging, all had a 2nd line free or $10.

Let's look at an example. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:40:45 PM EST
Sprint, Everything Messaging:
cheapest individual plan: 49.99
cheapest shared plan: 99.99

Of course, the shared has more than twice as many minutes.

Rundowns of AT&T and such seem to indicate similar spreads, based on the number of minutes, messages, etc needed.

From Dawn To Decadence by Barzun by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:23:50 PM EST
Written in short sections it's easy to pick up, read for a few minutes, and then put down to pick up a week later.

Why are you reading on your honeymoon? Don't you have better things to do?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

A cabin in the woods. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:40:43 PM EST
8 hours sleeping. 2 hours canoeing. 3 hours eating, making food. 2 hours reading. Maybe one hour playing Chinese checkers. I suppose we could cut back on reading or eating if we have to, but I'm not that young anymore and I'm quite serious about canoes and board games.

Where are you going? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:34:36 PM EST
I like to read books related to where I am, Lovecraft was much better in New England.

A cabin in the woods. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:41:22 PM EST
On a lake in Wisconsin.

Hemingway? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:04:14 PM EST
Little House in the Big Woods?

I think she hates Hemingway by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:14:15 PM EST
She's read all the Wilder books, though I haven't, so she may be down with it.

Are you bringing a DVD player? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:19:54 PM EST
IIRC, Evil Dead takes place in an isolated cabin in the woods.

up nort? by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 09:26:39 PM EST
we've got cabins in abundance, come on up.
---------
That one McEwan book by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 01:39:38 PM EST
took me a while to work out which one. Any other of his books would be better than completing Don Quixote, which just goes on and on, though.

U R doing it wrong. Srsly. by marvin (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:21:53 PM EST
Books to discuss on a honeymoon......wtf?

Honeymoons are for SEXXORS. The real questions you should be asking are what flavour(s) of lubricant(s) you wish to buy, and ribbed or non-ribbed condoms.

Of course the classic book for a honeymoon is by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 02:45:26 PM EST
The Kama Sutra of Vatsayana.

Or, for a lake in Wisconsin, the Prairie Home Companion books by Keillor. Or Walden by Thoreau.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

YA SRSLY. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 01:03:55 AM EST
Dude - she'll be your wife at that point. You should try to penis her.

early kings of norway, carlyle by nathan (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 01:19:39 PM EST
You can be all like "Look at me, I'm St. Olaf, and the Great Schism hasn't happened yet, so I'm the Orthodox King of Norway. YA RLY."

Thinking about [redacted] | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback