Print Story swine
By webwench (Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:13:09 PM EST) (all tags)
click

My boy woke up Monday morning with a sore throat but no fever. Monday afternoon he developed a fever, went to the pediatrician, and was diagnosed with H1N1, which I didn't realize is widespread among the kids around here. (Yes, I live under a rock.)

I've been a freaking wreck about it, because Monday morning, when this was just a sore throat, I handed the boy off to my ex-husband because I had to go to a training session at the hospital. I went to the training session because I'm a designated caregiver for my stepdad, who has had a few good rounds of chemo and is about to go through a bone marrow transplant. In the waiting room before the transplant, several people who are at various stages of their own transplants came in and out wearing facemasks, etc., and I'm worried as fuck I've brought H1N1 into an office full of immunosuppressed people. Because I'm a fucking moron.

Pediatrician says if I wasn't showing symptoms (I wasn't and I'm not), I probably am not a carrier or contagious myself, and it's probably ok. Still, everyone has been notified and is checking with the doctors involved, etc.

This morning, the boy (who is in seclusion at his dad's house) woke up having trouble breathing, and got to visit the emergency room. H1N1 is especially bad on the lungs, I guess/read. He's now on antibiotics, prednisone, an inhaler, etc, and is relegated to his room. I worry about him.

Rough week.

< The Economist Magazine | logistics and other stories >
swine | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dang, hang in there by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:21:41 PM EST
I doubt I would have thought of swine flu with just a sore throat.

Yikes. by technician (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:36:21 PM EST
Yeah, I'd not have even guessed at H1N1 from the early symptoms. Don't worry about what you can't control.

Hope the boy feels better soon.

Trust your doctor. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:37:18 PM EST
You probably aren't contagious now. Although I'd be careful for the next week or so.

Folks that were spreading the virus at PAX were showing symptoms. Luckily I didn't bump into any of them or stuff they'd touched.

The boy will be fine, but in your heart you know that.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

remember H1N1 is still the flu by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 03:48:54 PM EST
and should be treated as such.

you reported your exposure to all the right people, so you're not a bad person.

hang in there.

Dunno what to say. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 07:28:39 PM EST
Usually it's "Oh STFU" when someone mentions HxNy and especially so when it's this particular strain. Except that as not-dangerous as it is, anyone immunosupressed is at risk. I have to wonder why they're giving your father Prednisone but not Tamiflu and I boggled when I read that your pediatrician thinks that your not showing signs would negate the chances of your being a carrier which, by definition, is someone who infects without showing signs of a disease.

Best wishes and here's hoping it gets better this week. And next week. And even better in October.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

flu infections do not work like bacterial by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 09:01:44 AM EST

Oink, oink by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 07:32:44 PM EST
Remember, it's still just the flu.  In the vast majority of cases the flu is passed off as a bad cold.  As for being worried about it, why?  You didn't intentionally wander around blowing your nose on their johnnies.  If the doctor's were worried about the potential of flu or common colds being passed with these patients they would require you to wear gloves, a gown and a mask.  If they didn't, then the doctor's aren't particularly concerned.

---------------
Hmm by MrMole (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 04:16:36 AM EST
I think my cousin had it.
Vomiting due to a flu isn't common enough.

Great I'm due to be on a plane tomorrow.

I had a sore throat a few days ago. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 17, 2009 at 09:32:15 PM EST
Not feeling ill now.  But no fever at all.

Click
antibiotics? by Nigga (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Nov 14, 2009 at 09:00:44 PM EST
so he had a bacterial infection in addition to a viral infection? (H1N1)

swine | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback