Print Story Thoughts on stuff.
Money
By gzt (Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 02:14:40 PM EST) gzt, car, snatch, wedding, apartment (all tags)
1. I'm falling behind on studying for that exam. @#$@#. I'd really hate to delay again. I really want to get out of this job and this really is the path out. Can I hold on until next July? NO. So I need to take the exam in November.

1. I have been thinking about the numbers and, it's true, it just doesn't make sense to have a car once we're settled down. Zipcar or igocar - I'll have to make a comparison - are perfectly adequate for our needs. Especially since every place we go is right off the Brown Line once we move into the new place (which is on top of a Brown Line stop). So I think we'll sell it once we get our holiday travel taken care of.
  2. I need to figure out where to go, gym-wise, when I move to the north side. Someplace that lets me do olympic lifting. The crossfit facility is too expensive, unfortunately. I don't know if Quads has oly lifting capabilities, but it would be a logical choice if it did.
  3. Speaking of which, and this isn't financial, I haven't gone to the gym in a while. My back is protesting EVEN MORE than before. I can't go tonight. I will, perhaps, go in the morning.
  4. Going to get the new apartment today. Still haven't gotten the deposit back from the last one, which would be nice to have. Sent a note off about that. Will pay deposit for new one. I suppose I should inquire about whether it's possible to move in on the weekend before instead of waiting until the 1st - the apartment is unoccupied and I want to be out of the place I'm in before the first.
  5. 37 days until the wedding. There are a few invitations that have not been sent because they still have not responded or whatever to our requests for addresses. A couple don't, at the moment, have addresses, and we're fine with that. And I have enough cash on hand to pay for all the rest of the wedding expenses, so we're all cool.
  6. I really need to take care of these car repairs so I can get my car registered. I do not need my car any time in the next week or two - I was reticent to leave it in the shop when I might need it at a moment's notice to travel to $HOMESTATE - so I have no reason not to.
  7. Personal finance software? I need some.
< Attention Bostonian Infidels | My Intar-webbery... >
Thoughts on stuff. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I was warned about you Chicago types by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 02:19:24 PM EST
when I was considering voting for Obama, and it's true. You're going to save the UAW by making people give up their own 2.3 cars per household and all using Commie zipcars.

finance software by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 02:32:37 PM EST
what OS are you running, and what do you want to do with your software?

if it's just tracking spending there's Quicken (NOT the Mac version!), Moneydance, and some others.  If you want to track spending and budget, you can't beat YNAB (You Need A Budget).

I use Mac Quicken (blows goats) and the YNAB spreadsheet.  When they come out with a Mac version of YNAB Pro I will upgrade.  I'm waiting to see what to do about Quicken - I did some of the beta testing on the new Mac version they were coming out with and it sucked HARD.  It seems I'm not the only one who thought that, so they scrapped it and started over yet again.  I keep seeing rumors about Apple coming out with finance software, so maybe I'll wait for that.  IF Quicken Mac were the same as Quicken for Windows, I'd be a happy little girl.

Windows. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 02:59:29 PM EST
But considering Lunix.

Something that tracks spending could be sufficient, but budgets are also a good thing. I certainly think and operate in terms of budget, so, yeah, software that does that is probably good. YNAB looks like it does exactly what I want software to do. I suppose I'll consider purchasing it.

After looking at more demos... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 04:28:24 PM EST
...instead of working, I have decided that this does exactly what I want it to do and more. I now cannot conceive of functioning properly without it. It will definitely be $49.99 well spent.

i love the spreadsheet version by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 06:08:18 PM EST
and can't wait for the full version.

Try using Numbers on the Mac by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 03:02:47 PM EST
It's pretty cool that you can put 2 or more spreadsheets on the same page.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i am too dumb by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 06:08:59 PM EST
to use a spreadsheet well.  i hate GUIs, and hate using them.

You sound like my Dad. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Sep 13, 2009 at 02:19:07 PM EST
He learned compuiter programming using Fortran. In the 50's. With punched cards. He liked command lines fine, and never found GUIs to be intuitive. But he did adjust. To WinXP.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

back in my day... by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Sep 13, 2009 at 02:29:02 PM EST
i'm doing mostly OK with my Mac.  clock may disagree.  iTerm is my safety net.  sweet, sweet command line!  although they made all the config files binary in 10.6  :(

moneydance is great by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 05:56:27 PM EST
And it's cross platform.

Depends on frequencies of trips by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 09:23:00 AM EST
my cousin in Ukrainian village has found that it's cheaper for her to rent cars from an agency instead of from zipcar or igocar because she typically only needs the ride when she's leaving the city, and the car rates / frequencies of her trips end up that way.

rental cars by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 09:43:03 AM EST
Yeah, we may be able to get by with just car rentals instead of even car sharing, but the rates on zipcar and igocar are actually getting pretty competitive for full-day use. But, yeah, we'll have to sit down and analyze our usage to see whether we even need to consider using one of the services at all. Though, really, apart from a small annual fee, you don't pay unless you use it, so it's worth considering.

I think her issue by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 10:24:16 AM EST
must have been that the use it rates were higher than typical rental car rates. I'll have to track her down and ask her again.

When I last checked a while ago... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 10:27:26 AM EST
...they were. But things seem a little better now, especially if you have some bulk usage discount of sorts that they offer and consider all the associated expenses of car rental (viz: gas, taxes, other fees) that are covered by, at least, zipcar. It's still something to investigate.

Thoughts on stuff. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback