Print Story Attention Bostonian Infidels
Travel
By Gedvondur (Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:04:41 AM EST) (all tags)
I will be arriving in your fabulous city on the 21st of September.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to get dinner/drinks that evening?

I don't have my flights set, so things might go kittywumpus, but I don't think it should be that big a deal.

So the questions really are:

1.  Are you available?

2.  Where should we go?  A good craft beer joint would be cool, but I am prepared to be flexible.

Let me know!
< Attention Muchagecko Infidel! | Thoughts on stuff. >
Attention Bostonian Infidels | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The Bostonians by ni (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:09:19 AM EST
often meet at Jacob Wirth, which has some pretty decent beer options. Recommended if nothing better presents itself.

Uh... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:15:28 AM EST
I have a conference here in town that week; could to Mon or Tues after 6 (Monday) or 6:30 (Tues).

ad hoc is good with the venue thing, but we could do worse than Boston Beer Works, one outlet of which is near North Station.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Yes by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:19:54 AM EST
The 22d is a client day, so it can't be too late of a night, but I should be available.

Craft beer. Hmm. The are two I can think of right now.

One is Boston Beer Works. There are two: one near North Station and one near Fenway Park.

Red Sox are away, so the Fenway one is safe.

Celtics and Bruins don't start until October, so North Station should be safe, too. I don't know if if anything else is going on at the Garden, but it's a Monday, so it's not very likely.

The other is Commonweath Brewery in Cambridge. It's a wee bit difficult to explain how to get there if you're not familiar with Kendall Square, but it's good.

There's supposed to be another place called Roadhouse in Brookline, but I've never been there. It looks dangerously close to BC.

CBC by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:30:54 AM EST
Sorry, I mean Cambridge Brewing, not Commonwealth. Commonwealth Brewery is dead.
IAWad hoc re: CBC by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 12:39:57 PM EST
Boston Beer Works is good, too, and a little less pricy, I think. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be available. I usually have a yoga class on Mondays, but between beer and yoga, it's not much of a contest....
Okay by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 01:58:20 PM EST
So I'm thinking Boston Beer Works near North Station seems to be the consensus pick.

Let me get my flights straight, and I'll confirm here.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Okay by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 04:04:27 PM EST
Confirmed I am getting in at like 4:30.

So what time do we want to get together?  Like 7:00?

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Some of us... by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 04:16:23 PM EST
may be earlier than that, coming from work. If Kellnerin is coming, for example, it makes zero sense for her to ride the train home and then return. I'll be not-that-far-away at a conference which I think lets out around 6 or a bit after. I might be there as early as 6:30-ish.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

No Problem by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 08:36:51 PM EST
I'll get there as soon as I can, I gotta get my bags, get to the rental car, drive downtown, check in, and then get to the bar where you guys will be at.

Just so you know, that may make me somewhat later than 6:00.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Where are you staying? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 07:18:27 PM EST

Downtown somewhere. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 08:35:41 PM EST
I'm not sure yet, haven't made the reservation.

Doesn't matter, I gots me a rental car.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Rental car. by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 08:40:17 PM EST
Hahahahahahahahaha

You don't be wantin no rental car.

Not for the city.

listen to the man by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 08:59:19 PM EST
You start driving in Boston and you'll end up on a one way street 5 miles from where you wanted to be with no way back.

I by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Sep 12, 2009 at 12:24:31 AM EST
Gots me a GPS.  Or I gots me a cab ride.  Either way.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
seriously by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Sep 12, 2009 at 01:13:04 PM EST
If you are staying anywhere that can be called "downtown" then either walking or taking the T will be by far the better way to get to BBW than traveling by car, whether you drive yourself or not. (Do not drive yourself; aside from the navigational challenges there is also the issue of parking.)

In fact depending on what you're doing in the area (or where), you may not want a car at all during your stay -- and if all you are doing on Monday is having a beer with Husi folks, then you probably don't need to pick it up til the day after, unless your plans don't allow time to get it in the morning.

Oh, and as ana hinted, it's about a 20-minute walk from my office, but a longish train ride home, so I can be there starting almost any time but I can't stay too late.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

I don't think you're taking us seriously by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Sep 13, 2009 at 09:46:44 PM EST
and that would be a mistake.

This is not the midwest.

Worry not by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Sep 13, 2009 at 11:22:20 PM EST
I am taking you seriously.  I have been to Boston several times, and honestly I travel to big cities on both coasts with a fair amount of regularity.

I just can't do anything about it until tomorrow (Monday).  For long and involved stupid company reasons, I don't have a hotel booked yet.  I actually have to have a goddammed *meeting* about it, if you can beleive that.  There is an off-chance that they will send me outside of Boston for my hotel stay and that changes how I have to approach things.  It doesn't mean I can't make it, but will change how I approach the problem.

I should have more concrete information and then solicit specific advice tomorrow night.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
I do like driving in the midwest by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 11:35:20 AM EST
Grids, street signs.. wide roads. They're really spoiled.

Definite by johnny (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Sep 12, 2009 at 08:11:03 AM EST
Maybe.

Come on by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 02:45:53 PM EST
How many times do you have the opportunity to meet fat midwesterners?

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Where I am staying and directional advice by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Sep 14, 2009 at 03:11:56 PM EST
Okay, I will be staying at:

Westin Copley Place

10 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Please advise on what the best way to get to our meet-up would be.  Bus-train-subway-rickshaw-cab-car, any advice welcomed.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Subway. by ana (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Sep 14, 2009 at 03:31:01 PM EST
There doesn't seem to be a way to link to the search itself, but here is the search engine.

If you put in the addy of the hotel, and 112 canal st, boston, ma, it'll direct you to the Orange Line Back Bay Station. From there you get a train bound for Oak Grove (at the north end of the line) to North Station. Up to the street, and, depending on which exit you take, Boston Beer Works might be across the street from the entrance. Canal St. runs parallel to the subway tracks, and if you exit at the end of the platform that's where the train came from, you'll be very close to the bar.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Oh, and... by ana (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Sep 14, 2009 at 03:39:36 PM EST
the train you'll want (both coming and going) is called "inbound". Go figure.

It's basically because you go past the Hub Of The Universe on the way.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

two inbounds is really not so bad by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 11:40:48 AM EST
Compared to 2 East, 3 South, and 16 West on the same stretch of road..

Whilst driving by ana (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 11:45:14 AM EST
from Madison to Minneapolis (or the other way; I forget), due to some road construction and a detour, I once found myself travelling both east and west on US-14 (I think it was) for a few miles.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Somewhat belated... by aethucyn (4.00 / 2) #27 Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 06:46:34 PM EST
but I am hereby announcing my intent to appear.

I regret by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #28 Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 12:36:08 PM EST
that I won't be attending tonight. Working from home today does not make the logistical math work in my favor. I hope that your travels take you Boston-ward again, and that our beer (and company) is good enough to tempt you to go out with Husites another time, when I will do my best to be there.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
Was fun. by ana (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Sep 22, 2009 at 08:58:55 AM EST

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Indeed by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 11:23:14 AM EST
I hope we can do it again some time.

Gedvondur