Print Story Software
By jayhawk88 (Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 09:02:47 AM EST) (all tags)
In a nutshell

So I've been running Windows 7 RTM for a month or so. Very impressed so far, nice and solid, a lot of little "hey that's cool" things. Today Windows Update shows up, and I notice that it says I need new drivers for my video and network cards.

No surprise I suppose, and being a self respecting Windows geek, I of course ignore the downloads WU has to offer and go to nVidia and Intel. Download the drivers, install the video card...no reboot required. Threw me for a bit of a loop actually, I double checked to make sure the drivers installed. OK, so I install the network drivers, surely this will...No! No reboot here either.

This is almost monumentous in the Windows world if you're not familiar. Installing video card AND network card drivers without a reboot? Unheard of!

So giddy  with success, I launch iTunes, remembering that version 9 was released yesterday and seemed to be somewhat interesting. Download...download....install...install...configure....You Must Reboot To Complete The Process.

Just kind of funny to me. Not even going to blame Apple, but still; it's 2009, I can install two core hardware drivers in an OS without a reboot, but my glorified WinAmp needs one. Oh and scrolling through the music store in iTunes 9 is dog slow for some reason as well. I know, I know, iTunes sucks, but I haven't found it too bad for what I want to do with digital music so far. I was kind of excited to hear they'd done away with the web-browser like interface of the store, but even just scrolling with the slide bar is like watching a slide show for some reason. Confirmed it's not the video drivers either, WoW is fine. Oh well.

Life plods along otherwise though. Girls are approaching 1 year come this Oct 9. They're able to walk across rooms now, getting better at it literally every day. Work is the same as it ever is, not much new there. Football season is here, thank goodness. If you're an (American) FF geek, check out this team I drafted in my pay league:

Jay Cutler
MIchael Turner (protected)
Steve Slaton
Reggie Wayne
Dwaye Bowe

I also have Thomas Jones, Felix Jones, Matt Cassel, and Percy Harvin on my bench. I drafted T. Jones in the <i>5th round</i>, because he and his 1300 yds/13 TD's was still just sitting there for some stupid reason, after getting Turner/Slaton/Wayne/Bowe, and still got Cutler coming back up with my 6th pick. Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about my team.
< I'll take books that end in O for $200 | And this too >
Software | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
iTunes by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 11:41:38 AM EST
Ugh on my PCs iTunes always seems to be so clunky.  Oh and would I like to install 8 other pieces of apple software!?!?!?!
____
On the plus side by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 12:34:09 PM EST

you didn't have to pay anything for it. You're welcome.

Die in a fire by duxup (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 12:51:41 PM EST
n/t

____
No can do. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 01:46:33 PM EST

Everything I wear is fireproof, owed to the copious wealth I personally take from each and every iTunes customer's credit card accounts.

but how many of your clothes items have... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 03:01:30 PM EST
...built-in tourniquets? I submit that, whatever the answer is, it's almost guaranteed not to be high enough.

Currently, none. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 03:04:52 PM EST

But I do have a tourniquet in my bag, so I should be set, even if I've only got one hand to tighten it with.

crikey! by gzt (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 04:28:23 PM EST
what are you waiting for? if a tourniquet in your bag were always sufficient, why would they have bothered to make ITS shirts and pants?! next time somebody lops off your arm at the elbow, don't come whining to me that you nearly died of blood loss instead of being merely inconvenienced by blood loss because your shirt didn't have a tourniquet built in. the life you save could be your own.

What you say is true. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 04:30:29 PM EST

But I'm not afraid to die, myself. I carry the tourniquet mainly to have a valid excuse to "be around" when other people pass.

Yeahbut by technician (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 10:30:09 AM EST
I'd almost rather pay for it. Then when I plug my iPod into my machine, it might not bring the machine to its knees, and I'd also only got the bits I paid for.

In fact, can we pay for a "premium" version that has, say, less annoyances?  Or should we just buy Macs?  I'm all for the latter, actually.  In fact, as more people high up here at work buy iPhones and complain incessantly to iT about their iTunes, I may have finally found the ultimate argument to get us into iMacs: if we buy Mac instead of Dell, your iPhone will not cripple your computer.

So...yeah.  I get it. Its a sales ploy! You get the software for free, but to have it work well, you have to pay $2k for it + a machine that runs it well, vs $700 bux for a machine that runs nothing well.

Genius!

I thought it had been settled by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 08:25:04 PM EST
that QuickTime was the cause.

Chill out, snowflake.

Who what for me? by duxup (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 08:33:26 PM EST
Heck if I know.

____
I meant in general. by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 11:56:04 PM EST
Maybe you're out of the loop, or there's a problem on my end. Consider, though: QuickTime is a bit of a hog, to understate it.

Chill out, snowflake.

I like iTunes just fine by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 06:41:59 AM EST
I think the reboot thing is just Apple playing on an old Windows joke.

Reboot by duxup (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 02:08:36 PM EST
I can take reboots, it is just the slow and clunky nature of it I don't like.  Oh and yeah the other software it wants to install.

____
My team: by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 12:10:16 PM EST
We have some similarities:

QB     P. Manning (IND), McNabb (PHI)
RB     Turner (ATL), C. Johnson (TEN), McCLain (BAL)
WR     Colston (NO), Bowe (KC), Evans (BUF), Morgan (SF)
TE     Boss (NYG), Scaife (TEN)
PK     Vinatieri (IND), Lindell (BUF)
DF     Arizona CARDINALS, Carolina PANTHERS

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Pretty good by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 08:40:44 PM EST
Although I have to say, from personal experience I hate Lee Evans with a passion. 4 points, 5 points, 8 points, 3 points, you finally break down and bench him because he's playing the Steelers, 32 points. Though maybe having TO on the other side will help.

Boss is going to have a huge year for the Giants though. Missed the chance to score him myself.

I agree by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 08:50:09 AM EST
Especially on Evans.  The idea for me is that he will get more open with TO on the other side.  We will see.  The league I am in doesn't use yardage, we are a score-only league.  That makes choosing these guys harder.

You can take a look at the league site if you want, its at www.sffl.biz.  My team is the Preble Predators.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Wow really by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 10:32:07 AM EST
So someone like Lendale White or Leron McClain goes in like the first round in that kind of draft?

Usually by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 10:58:02 AM EST
QB is the prime position.  Nobody but the QB makes as many touchdowns.

Second is usually RB, they usually have the next highest TD totals.

Then WR, PK, TE, and DEF.  We run two tight ends and one RB.

TDs are six points. Extra point is 1, FG is 3.  Defensive takeaways are 1 point.

We do have one odd rule, that our commish calls the "Dynasty Rule".  If you have the QB and receiver of the same teams on the same fantasy team, there is a penalty.  For instance, if your fantasy team had QB Tom Brady (NE) and WR Randy Moss (NE).  If Brady throws to Moss, its only 3 points each instead of the six each it would be worth if those players were on different fantasy teams.

That rule was introduced when the NFL still had some big-assed dynasties where getting Young-Rice won the league nearly every year.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Thomas Jones is always unappreciated by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 11:36:47 PM EST
I'm usually the one to pick him in my leagues.

Pretty solid later in the season when you have to deal with byes and injuries - even from when he was in Chi, as he's had a few good years in terms of rushing.

The Jets as a team, I've wanted to like them (ok I grew up near the Meadowlands too) as they have a few good players (lavernaues coles is another former Jet I like) but as a team they just can't ever bring it together.

Here's my reasoning by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 06:32:26 AM EST
Unlikely that he'll repeat the numbers he did last year, but still, he's the starting RB on a team that's starting a rookie QB. He's going to get carries. And heck, for a backup RB, I couldn't resist. Of course he'll probably start the year with 3 straight hundred yard/TD games and I'll be tempted to swap him and Slaton...

Jets could be interesting this year. That's not too bad of a team overall, but I think Sanchez is going to have a rough go of it. Rookie QB's for the next 10 years are going to curse the names Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. Those two landed in near perfect situations, low expectation teams that had artificially deflated records, with solid to outstanding running games/defenses/receivers. Now all of the sudden everyone wants to start their rookies again, when the norm is usually Peyton or Aikmen's rookie years.

QB's by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 11:17:56 AM EST
In the pay league I help run, QB's used to get a point for every 10 yards passing, plus 6 for TD's. Yeah. My brother in law won the league two years in a row I think in '03 and '04 because he had Peyton Manning. He'd get an almost guaranteed 35 points from him every week, and occasionally sniff 50 or 60. I think I did the math one year and found that, on average, QB's in the league were getting about (maybe even over) 50% of the points for teams on any given week. Back then you'd see QB's go in the first 8 or 9 picks in the draft.

Couple years ago we changed it to a point for every 20 yards but QB's are arguably still over powered. I kind of like it though, because getting an elite guy can make up for average RB's or WR's, but conversely you can still do OK getting a mid tier guy like Roethlisberger or Delohme.

Software | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback