Print Story Bacon
Husi Stock
By hulver (Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 11:50:57 AM EST) (all tags)
The Bacon has landed.

Bacon

Total cost for all the meat.

£230 for the previous lot.
£130 for the bacon.

£360 all together.

Amount donated by piggy sponsors. £320.

Update [2009-8-9 17:36:30 by hulver]: I don't need any more money! I'm sure that there'll be quite a bit of pig left over after the weekend, which I'll end up eating. So please. Don't donate any more unless you're coming, and haven't donated anything at all.

Nearly a third of that was from a single person, who's not coming, and I'm not sure he visits the site very often anymore. We will raise a glass (or several glasses) to you. If you want to see if komet will drop some of the meat off on his way back down south, then get in touch.

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to be cooking some of the bacon tonight, in a bacon and chicken risoto.

Could still do with more ideas for dishs.

At the moment I've got.

Slow roast pork.
Sausages.
Pork and apple burgers.
Sausage meat stuffing.
Sweat and Sour pork.

Need to make some apple sauce. Are Bramleys best for this? We made some cracking grave yard apple sauce last year, but it's a bit early. Will have to check them next week.

Side dishes.

Goose fat roast potatoes.
Potato salad.
Daal.
Green salad of some sort.
Bread.

Could do with some help on what to do with the ribs, I've not cooked ribs before. Although the smoking is a good idea, I don't have the equipment for it. I've only got two rather small, lidless BBQ thingys. Not really suitable for smoking.

< Why I Gave Up Journalism | Security: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow >
Bacon | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
holy crapz, bacons! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 12:10:11 PM EST
this makes me sad that i'm not coming...but does make me want to go out and partake of the pigs my parents got back from the butcher...
---------
Slow oven roasting should do for ribs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 12:11:40 PM EST
though I have yet to try that, I buy precooked presauced ribs.

Bacon sandwiches (n/t) by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 01:08:38 PM EST

Fair idea by komet (4.00 / 4) #4 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 01:12:51 PM EST
but I feel the bread fills you up with too much non-meat, so I'd suggest replacing the bread with bacon.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
God smiles upon your endeavor. by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 01:23:27 PM EST
Not Yahweh, mind you, but the christian God who delights in the smell of all things meat...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

That bacon looks tasty by R343L (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 01:33:37 PM EST
Good ratio of meat to fatty bits.

Dish suggestions:

* Bacon wrapped sausage on buns with lots of mustard and sauerkraut.

Okay I'm useless with meat dishes. But perhaps sides:

Would you mind if I arrived with fixin's for a side dish even if I had to make it there? Probably just need a knife and cutting board for something like tomato salad ... Collards a pot or big saute pan.

Sauerkraut by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 03:10:58 PM EST
Genius. It'll have to be bought though. I'll see if the local shop has any.

Tomatos. We have some that are starting to go from Green to Yellow, but I don't know if they'll be ready or not.

You're welcome to prepare anything you want when you get here. We've got pans and things. Hopefully some of them will be clean.

If you've got a bean recipe I can always do it the day before.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

The only real bean by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 03:32:36 PM EST
recipes by R343L (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 04:00:19 PM EST
That is just the problem .. I don't really cook from recipes.

ad hoc's recipe looks fine, aside from the bizarre cooking of beans in baking soda water.

As for tomatoes, presumably the shops are openn Saturdays and maybe I can find decent ones. Or a farmers market

Farmers market by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 04:30:10 PM EST
Not locally.

Most tomatos around here are rubbish.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

snacky foods by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 02:18:30 PM EST
Dates wrapped in bacon.

as well as pineapple by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 17, 2009 at 12:49:47 PM EST

Potato Salad by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 06:06:46 PM EST
Your making the side dish I suggested!  It's like I'll be there in spirit! :D

You guys have fun!

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

I know it's boring by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 06:17:08 PM EST
But bacon sarnies are fucking unbeatable

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I like my Dad's recipe for Bacon & Shrubbery. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 06:32:13 PM EST
1. Fry up 117% of your bacon-ingestion capacity.
2. Eat it.
3. Lay on couch and stare at the shrubbery outside the window until you fall into a bacon-induced coma.

This is not my favorite rib recipe by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 10, 2009 at 12:58:19 AM EST
But it is relatively uncomplicated and should be doable even if you haven't done ribs before. The key is not to cook the ribs too fast - or too slow. ;) The simplest way to go is to sear the meat to start, then move it to a cooler part of the grill and cook it slowly until it's done.

Damn copy/paste buffer by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 10, 2009 at 12:58:43 AM EST
FYI by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 10, 2009 at 12:05:55 PM EST
I'll be there. sorry about that late-ish notice.

No worries by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 10, 2009 at 01:46:21 PM EST

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Dear Hulver, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 05:35:11 PM EST
despite the fact that I have left it terribly, terribly late to write to you, and very rudely half expressed interest in coming up despite never having donated towards the pig in the first place (a fact I will of course remedy should you be so gracious as to permit me to partake),

would it be possible for me to come up for your Husi Hogstock and join in and perhaps find somewhere to kip over for the night? If that is possible that would be great.

Less obsequiously, that all sounds like great fun.

You're welcome to come by hulver (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Aug 15, 2009 at 10:03:30 AM EST
I can't give you anywhere to sleep though.

gazbo might be able to offer you somewhere to sleep.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Thanks. I'll make it somehow. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Aug 15, 2009 at 11:13:23 AM EST
And yes, gazbo, if you do read this before the pm/facebook mail I'm about to send, I'd love it if I could borrow a bit of your floor, and perhaps enough water to brush my teeth with. If not, I'll research staying somewhere. Cheers

Well by Herring (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Aug 17, 2009 at 03:04:51 PM EST
I am not sure if my room at the hotel is a twin or not. I'll be too pissed to try anything on. Probably.

Also, if you can get anywhere near Epsom/Guildford/Bracknell/Reading on Saturday morning, I am driving up via Reading (complicated) and can pick you up.

And happy birthday for yesterday.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

mmm, bacon by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 05:09:40 PM EST
wish i could have made it. enjoy, and cheers.

Bacon | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback