Print Story Is it? Could it be? Really?
By Merekat (Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 06:14:06 AM EST) (all tags)
Friday!

There were some days this week where I was pretty sure I would only be meeting Friday in some kind of delirium, exhausted, burned out, broken. And now that it is here, it is almost an anticlimax. Only one thing overhangs on the list I should have gotten done and the right people are not around anyway. I feel kinda floaty and wierd.

So, if you had a work trip to Detroit, and figured on staying an extra week in the US as flying over and back for a 3 day meeting when you've a bundle of leave left to take would be masochistic, what would you do with that week?

My desktop weather app shows thunderstorms for the next six days. Looking at the sky and feeling the atmosphere, I reckon the first won't hit until later so there may be time for a quick bbq. Hurrah. Shame that if I want to invite someone, there's a week of neglected housework first.

< I love the taste of peaches in the morning. It tastes like victory. | Anxiety level: Clonezapam >
Is it? Could it be? Really? | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Things to do in Detroit by Herring (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 06:59:12 AM EST
Save the US car industry
Punch Michael Moore
Make a soul record

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
visit henry ford museum by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:01:01 AM EST
quick trip to canada
buy property cheap.

visit the great lakes and do waterry stuff. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:01:50 AM EST

Detroit by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:07:16 AM EST
Are you planning on staying in the Detroit Metro Area, driving somewhere or flying somewhere?

I grew up in the area, so if you give me an idea of what you're interested in, or around where you'll be I'm sure I can give you some ideas.

Off the top of my head,

If your into cars, and other bits of US industrial history, the Henry Ford Museum is pretty cool.

If you prefer your history a bit older, Green Field Village is another good place to spend a day.

The Detroit Zoo is pretty cool, too. Particularly the Polar bear and Penguin exhibits.

The Detroit Institute of Arts is a good, more traditional museum.

If you're looking to get a way for a few days by car Cleveland (visit your best pal Bob and see an city more depressed than Detroit) or Chicago are within driving distance. If you like Roller Coasters you can always go to Cedar Point.

Or if you'd like something a little more laid back you can head up north and stay somewhere around Lake Charlevoix or Petoskey.

From there, you can either hang out on the beach, or the lake, wander through the town shopping, go golfinga, go to Mackinac Island for a day (be sure to get some fudge), or the Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Ann Arbor by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:08:48 AM EST
That's the business part. The holiday, I can be a bit more mobile as long as I am based out of Detroit for the return flight.

Ann Arbor by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:20:44 AM EST
A bit west of my main stomping grounds.

But if you like good deli sandwiches, I definately recommend this place.

When I was younger The Real Sea Food Restraunt was a really good restraunt. I recall it being a bit pricy, we would normally only go there on someone's birthday where you would get that meal free. I'd be suprised if it's not still very good, though.

For a taste of Detroit I'd go to Leo's Coney Island. Barring you like the idea of a hot dog with chili. Leo's is usually one of the things that's always on my list of things to eat when I go home.

As for night life, Ann Arbor is probably one of the best cities in Michigan, but depending on when you get there, the crowd will definately skew young towards college students.

om nom nom by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:51:33 AM EST
Just reading that deli menu makes me drool.

Go to Holland, Michigan by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 08:22:27 AM EST
and infiltrate the Slashdot compound.

then by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 10:09:30 AM EST
I'd recommend getting yourself to some dunes on lake michigan, whether it be sleeping bear, or indiana state dunes on your way to chicago. The lakes, dunes, and forests are probably Michigan's best thing to visit, from detroit to mackinac to holland to the UP.

travel by car is probably the most convenient and cheapest, but the distance between detroit and chicago is near 5 hours by car. probably 4 between chicago and ann arbor. I believe a train option is available, if you're going to chicago, but probably not to many other spots.

I spent 8 years in Ann Arbor. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Aug 08, 2009 at 03:46:17 PM EST
You have to go to Zingerman's Deli. It's always amazing. If you become addicted, they've got all sorts of stuff they can sent you via mail order.

One of my favorite places in Ann Arbor is Matthei Botanical Gardens.

My daughter just painted a mural at The Neutral Zone - a teen hangout in Ann Arbor.

My best friend is still there. Attorney by day/punk rocker at night. Should I see if he's got time to show you around?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Yay, Cedar Point! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 11:21:53 AM EST
I used to work there.

It's also the (unspoken) setting for Edge of Seventeen starring the lovely and talented Lea DeLaria.

If you go, ask them how many light bulbs are on the Giant Wheel. They'll love that.

Yes! TFSMIF! by prestidigitizer (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 10:07:15 AM EST
Neglected housework: always there to interfere with a swift kickoff to a weekend :-/

fly to Philly and by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 06:26:14 PM EST
meet the Philly Husi contingent...

Click