Print Story I bought a house.
By codemonkey uk (Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 01:00:32 PM EST) (all tags)
Now I own two.

If I was an MP I'd claim for the 2nd on one my expenses.

But I'm not, so I can't.

< Narcissism | Ask Husi: Speedos - are they EVER acceptable? >
I bought a house. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
On the bright side by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 01:04:45 PM EST
You probably handed over a wedge of cash in Stamp Duty.

Kerching!

Still, congrats!

Stamp Duty by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 01:30:17 PM EST
That's that thing that those idiots who pay more than £175k for a house have to pay, right?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
So by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 02:48:20 PM EST
I guess you paid £170k for the house and a billion pounds for the fixtures and fittings

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Something like that by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 04:15:44 AM EST
Or maybe I just watched the market for 9 months, found a bargain and got my offer in and accepted the same day it went up for sale...

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Hehe. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 03:11:42 PM EST
Those idiots that want a small flat inside zone 2 of Londinium, yes!

I am in the process by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 04:44:34 PM EST
Of buying a 3 bedroom house for £83k.  Within walking distance of my office in the city centre.

£83k.

Bah! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 04:47:53 PM EST
But I bet you don't have the added bonus of shootings and stabbings at the end of your road!

Ha, ha, ha. by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 06:46:08 PM EST
Do you believe the Daily Mail hype?

Coming from places that are actually violent I can say, London in particular, and the UK in general are paradise, even the "bad" areas.

I believe my own eyes. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 05:30:42 AM EST
In the last year alone, 2 shootings, a fatal beating, a couple of rapes and more stabbings than I could keep track of.  All on the main road by my house, or close by in the estates near my house.

Whether or not that's more or less violent than other cities I can't say; doubtless there are other places where more crime happens.

Bit different when it's on your doorstep though.

Woah by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 04:17:35 AM EST
That is amazing.  Much work needs doing?  There has to be some downside with a price tag like that!

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
The downside by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 05:14:12 AM EST
Is that it's in Sheffield, I guess.  And location-wise it's in a fairly industrial area rather than the more residential villages around the city centre, which may put some people off.

Other than that, it looks pretty solid, and has brand new (2 year old) kitchen, double glazing and central heating.  So looking like a good place to buy.

I reserve the right to withdraw that opinion once I get the results of the structural survey.

Where's the place you've bought?  I forget where you're actually living now, what with jetting off to a different country a few years back.

my new place by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 06:27:48 AM EST
4 bed corner terrace in a cul-de-sac, Spring Hills area of Harlow, which is 15min walk from the train station (direct lines to London, Cambridge, and Stansted), about the same walk to the town center, 2 min to nearest shops, 4 min to the kids school, has decent garden, new kitchen, etc.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
The last laugh is all ours. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 06:43:09 PM EST
As one of those idiots that did as you say, I was 15 to 20 minutes from my office, bed to desk, literally.

You don't understand how valuable that is in London unless you can afford it :-P

I bought a house. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback