Print Story Content (stress on the 1st syllable)
By toxicfur (Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 09:32:31 PM EST) (all tags)
All these OMGHuSiisdying!!!111one diaries have inspired me.

I shall provide content1.

1Quality of content not guaranteed.

Work

I've been working a lot recently. Like, a lot, by the standards of my job. I used to be part time, but I've been getting a full-time paycheck (hooray for being hourly!), and still I have 100 comp time hours.

The work has been pretty good, though. Like academic institutions across the US, my university jumped on the OMGFreeGovtMoney!!!111one bandwagon as soon as the Stimulus BillTM was passed. We've (so far) put in 3 (I think) construction grants, with 2 to go. I've worked on 2 of them, along with a lot of other proposals that get shoehorned around these gigantic construction grants. It's tough work -- mentally demanding, stressful, etc. -- but it's something I actually believe in. I believe the construction grants could effect a small change in our local economy, but more than that, it's changed the attitudes of some of our faculty and administration. People get excited about this stuff! They want to see new science getting done! They want to collaborate! The cynicism knob has been dialed down just a touch, but it's enough that it makes it a pleasure to work on these things, even when I'm tired.

It also turns out I have some small aptitude for management. Please don't hate me. I like that part of my job, too.

Pets

I have pets. Sometimes they do funny things. Sometimes they puke on the floor. Sometimes they destroy my furniture. It's nice to have them around, nevertheless.

A few weeks ago, ana and I wandered into this high-priced hippie dog store by mistake. I found a leash I wanted, though, and a squeaky toy or something, and ana tossed in a deer antler. Okay, sure. Turned out the damn thing was like $20 or something, but whatever. Support the economy, one overpriced pet toy at a time. We brought it home, and the dogs seemed to like it okay, but not as much as the pig ears or the other chew bones we have.

Fast-forward to, like 5 days ago, and it's the BestToyEVAR!!!111one. They steal it from one another. Rocky sits by Rusti and whiiiines for the fucking antler (usually while I'm trying to work). Rusti ends up growling at Rocky and making him sad.

We're going to have to buy another overpriced goddamned deer antler. Too bad it isn't deer season. Maybe I could get my brother to snap one off of whatever carcass he hauls home.

House Upgrades Needed

This may or may not be related to the previous section. We need a new sofa. One that is dog-resistant. Any suggestions on fabrics?

I'd sort of intended to renovate my kitchen by now, but what with that first work-related section, my attention has been elsewhere. It's getting to the point, though, that we really need new appliances, most especially a stove top and hood. I'd also like a new refrigerator and a new dishwasher, and pretty soon, there's going to be a Cash for Clunker Appliances program, apparently. Maybe we'll do the kitchen in a more piecemeal approach than what I'd first thought....

Family

I have a new niece. My brother J and his wife JC have just had their first daughter (the second kid on that side of the family). She's lovely. LoRezProof:

She was born August 20, 8 days prior to the Official Due Date. My sister-in-law developed high blood pressure last weekend, and it didn't go back down, so her OB decided to induce. Like, almost immediately. Jaymie was 6lbs 8 oz, and 19 inches long, about, and as you can see, she was born with a full head of hair. "She's got my cowlick," my brother said. "Poor kid." I've got that cowlick, too. It runs in the family.

We're going to visit my family in NC in a week. Like, a week from tomorrow. Eep. We're going to drive down (my first driving trip to or from NC in a comfortable vehicle...), and stay with my brother P, which means I'll get to spend a lot of time with my 18-month-old niece H, too. I can't wait -- I haven't seen her in almost a year.

The trip is probably going to be kind of emotionally tough, too, since this will be my first trip back to NC since my mom died. The joy of having the new baby, and the toddler around should mitigate some of that pain, but I imagine there will be some bittersweet moments.

Sometimes, though, I'm intensely homesick, and I plan to eat liver pudding and visit my friend B and go to the beach and get Krispy Kreme donuts. I'll likely have to work some, too, but mostly, I'm going to try to enjoy old friends and family.

Facebook

I spend probably equal amounts of time here and on Facebook. Yes, I know it's evil and whatnot, but it's fun to post news (or "news") articles that will scandalize my family. And I've reconnected with a number of people who I never imagined even remembered me. I've actually rebuilt a friendship with one of them.

On top of that, I was able to get the play-by-play of my sister-in-law's labor (okay, that's an exaggeration, but she did post occasionally, and the birth announcement was there, along with the pictures. But seriously, I interact with my sisters-in-law in a very positive way far more than I would without Facebook (without=0). For that, I'm thankful. It makes me feel a bit more connected to my family.

Here, I haven't been posting much, but I read almost everything. I like what you lot post, for the most part, and I'd really miss this place if it went away.

Baseball

I really hate it when the Red Sox plays like my pretty horrible church-league softball team. The score tonight is even similar. It's kind of sad.

Bonus MLP

If you read this far, you deserve this. Oh, Felicia Day, do you even need to ask? *sigh* I'll share a potion with you any day. (With thanks to iGrrrl for telling me I should play that video embedded in Wil Wheaton's blog).

< On the death of internet communities. | I AM SHITTING BULLETS RIGHT NOW >
Content (stress on the 1st syllable) | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I plan to eat liver pudding by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 12:14:21 AM EST
Well worth the visit. Well I mean after seeing the niece and all.

Click
Indeed. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:49:33 PM EST
There's just nothing like the liver pudding I'm able to get in eastern NC. Like a spicy pork pate, only better. Especially with grits.

Seeing the nieces will be awesome, too.

Oh Felicia. by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 01:29:53 AM EST
I fell in love with her as Penny in Dr. Horrible, but I kinda wish I'd seen her as Vi.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Me, too! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:50:32 PM EST
I missed most of the 7th season of Buffy because I didn't get the channel it was on. I bought the entire series on DVD for ana for Christmas, though, and one day, we're going to make it past season 2....
I can't believe that anyone could watch by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #12 Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 05:59:21 PM EST
Dr Horrible and not fall in love with her. Damn, I thought I was old enough not to get celebrity crushes that intense.

Absolutely. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #15 Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 09:27:00 PM EST
I really need to get the Dr. Horrible DVD at some point.
The DVD is cheap. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 31, 2009 at 12:31:28 PM EST
and you get the sing-a-long commentary as well as the regular commentary.

I listened to both, I couldn't help myself.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

re: pets by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 10:01:39 AM EST
We are driving to RI in a few hours to adopt a dane-lab from a rescue org. My wife grew up with dogs, but my experience is limited to dog sitting my aunt's elderly golden-lab mix whenever they went on vacation, so I'm a bit anxious about the the process.

Good luck with the new dog! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:52:25 PM EST
You never know what a dog will be like with the furniture and stuff until you get it home, I think. My dog Sadie was very easy on stuff, but Rocky likes to rub his entire body back and forth on the rough fabric of the sofa while digging his toenails in to really be able to lean into it.
Couch advice by lm (4.00 / 2) #4 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 10:07:05 AM EST
When you get a new couch, also get a slip cover. (Although if it's just the fabric in bad condition you could get the existing couch reupholstered.)

This has two advantages:

1. When you want the house to look fancy, you just take the slip cover off and put it in the closet for a bit.
  2. When you, ana, and the dogs wreck it by wrestling around and etcetera, you just replace the slip cover.
Alternatively, you could just get a slip cover and make your couch look like new without actually being new.

Cicero, The Republic
Good advice. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:33:15 PM EST
I don't think our current couch is salvagable, really. The cushions are pretty much shot, and they're removable, so a slipcover wouldn't work as well, I'd think. I do like the idea of getting a couch we like with a slipcover to protect it from dogs' little toenails.
grew up with slipcovers by misslake (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:52:05 PM EST
they make them so you can zip pillowcases over the cushions too.
my mom's upolstry trick (having an enormous number of cats, dogs, children, grandkids and an affection for entertaining) was to recover everything with a layer of plastic under the fabric. this gives you the effect of the plastic covered impossible to get dirty furniture without the ugly and the sliding off the couch.
the soils never soak into the stuffing, and worst case you just have to cut off the fabric and put another piece on.

i saw the red sox thursday night by misslake (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:56:59 PM EST
as a reward for not quitting (yet) my boss took the remaining staff out to a jays game.
it was mostly drinking and watching the crowd.

but this one red sox guy caught the ball with his bare right hand!
i clapped, but was quickly elbowed and shushed because it wasn't "our" guy.
if i never cheered for the 'wrong' team, i would not have gotten to cheer at all, so consider the sox cheered on your behalf as they "sweeped" toronto.

Awwwwwwwweeeeeee by duxup (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 04:02:32 PM EST
n/t

____
today's favorite mis-read by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 06:01:38 PM EST
 "...and a new dishwasher, and pretty soon."

I read it as, "...and a pretty spoon."

I had to think for a moment about why you would want a pretty spoon.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Hee! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 07:53:17 PM EST
Who doesn't need a pretty spoon?