Print Story Stuff to do with scoop and Husi
Scoop
By ana (Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 12:50:32 PM EST) whither scoop?. WTFC, hintfic (all tags)
I'd really sorta like to be doing more something creative.

Given all the dire "husi is dying, film at 11" talk lately, I thought maybe I'd muse for a while about what I could be doing, and am not, to keep it interesting.

We had a long series of fun challenges; they kinda fizzled out. Maybe we're tired of that kind of thing. That said, I hope people are doing something for the roundup WTFC that's coming due Sept 7th according to the current deadline. Details here.

Anyway. The creative-type thing I've spent the most time trying to develop is... well, there are two, I guess.
  1. Vocal music. Not exactly supported by scoop, now, is it? And, truth to tell, the ensembles of which I've been a part are not really all that good, though in some cases they provide the purpose for which they were created (e.g. music at Mass), and I've learned a whole lot about music, singing, Latin, and medieval spirituality. I'm not real sure my hearing is up to the standard it used to be, and no ensemble I've been a part of was good enough at intonation kinds of things to be able to make worrying about the difference between Just Intonation and Equal Temperament worthwhile.
  2. There is no 2
  3. Creative writing. Now here's something scoop would, in principle, support. I used to write a little something creative most every day at lunchtime, and post it on K5. I used to write a blog on another, non-scoop, site, that started out being in the voice of a fictional character, but she rapidly took over her life and veered away from the story line I had all neatly mapped out (hoping she'd fill in the details). I suppose I could do more of that. In some ways, though, I've worked out the issues I had, by looking at them through eyes very different than the ones I use in everyday life.

From time to time, a propos of the November Novel phenomenon, there's talk of posting a novel serially as it's written to a scoop site. This is as good a place as any for such an endeavor, what with its relatively high serious user to troll ratio. Who knows. Maybe if I have an idea, I'd do something like that later this fall. I haven't really dared, to date, because, well, it's kind of raw, putting your creativity out in public like that. Even for a relatively small and sympathetic public.

And, just for truth in advertising, I've been kind of coasting this summer. Nothing much creative going on, either in my own time or at work. There's something about the alternation between way too much to do, and then no deadlines for the forseeable future, that saps the will to work on stuff out of me.

Perhaps when the weather gets a little crisper and less wilty. Or, you know, not.

Anyway.

Herewith, a retelling of a particularly compelling scene from a movie, by way of hintfiction (25 words or less, suggesting a much larger narrative).

Gave a kid my keys and debit card.  "Lose the gun in the Columbia."

Put green jello in my hair and thumbed east from LA.
< The problem is, once you get there, you're already there. | On the death of internet communities. >
Stuff to do with scoop and Husi | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A blog in the voice of a fictional character by gpig (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 12:55:22 PM EST
I thought that was what this site was about .... wait .... you mean you people are real?
(,   ,') -- eep
The blogging part is easy. by ana (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 12:56:55 PM EST
It's actual meet-ups, the whole maintaining an astral projection that's consistent for hour,s that's a bitch.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Hintfic sounds like fun... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 02:09:13 PM EST
The doctor didn't want his last thought to be "She melted the saw into bullets. You could cut the irony with a knife."

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

honestly, I don't see what all the talk is about by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 04:49:33 PM EST

There are less diarists than before, and generally speaking very few new diarists except through organic growth, but its still the same as ever.

Is there a critical mass of diarists that some expect?

I started thinking about this by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 05:06:00 PM EST
because other people mentioned it, and I happened to notice that husi is not presently among the first few sites I visit when I start reading the intarwebs. It used to be, and presumably will be again, when people come back from wherever they've gone for August or to spawn or whatever.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Put green jello in my hair and thumbed east from L by johnny (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 08:19:55 PM EST
I seem to remember a scene in a novel I wrote. . . so long ago. . . what was it called? "Apse of the Alternates"? "Actions of the Apostate"? "Axe of the Epistles"?

So old, memory fades. . .

i was wondering by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 08:23:37 PM EST
next guess was stephenson. hadn't thought of you yet (sorry). it's a very memorable scene.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I shall post more often. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 09:36:40 PM EST
also, NaNoWriMo, man is it Novemeber yet or what?

Click