Print Story a diary for me, too!
By StackyMcRacky (Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:37:35 AM EST) (all tags)
with more paintings!

I did a painting, too!  I had an idea for one last summer, and finally got around to it a few weekends ago.  We're almost finished redecorating the kitchen now;  only the fabric on the chairs needs to be done.  I have the fabric, just need to carve out some time to do the chairs.  Anyway, my painting:

The flamingo is a photo I blew up, cut out, and glued on (we have a flamingo thing going on in the kitchen).  Critique away!

We've been busy purging/re-decorating.  We have Too Much Stuff, and we want it gone.  Stuff for the sake of stuff is dragging us down.  We're planning on selling it in the neighborhood garage sale in October.  clock moved the crap pile out to the garage last night.  It's beginning to look serene.  Tonight I'm going to dye the sofa cushion covers in an attempt to make them not look like crap.  The sofa is 10+ years old, and looks really worn.  We've had a slip cover on it for a few years now, and we hate it.  Here's hoping the dye job works!

Today is Porschea's 6th birthday!  Happy Birthday, Porschea!

As soon as somebody calls me back, I will be the official web site administrator for my 'hood.  I went to the "training" class last week, what a joke!  Hi, 1995 called, they'd like their web site back.  Our neighborhood management company totally sucks, and their web site reflects it.  Their attitudes reflect it as well.  Anyway, soon I will upload announcements like...the neighborhood garage sale.  And pool hours.  And other lame stuff.  Whatever.  I complained about the lack of information on the web site, and now I have put my money where my mouth is.

I need to remember to put the old car seat and "travel crib" in my car so I can drop them off at the consignment shop today.  More clearing out crap we didn't like and don't need.

The boy is quite a handfull.  When compared to Little Miss Boz, he looks downright feral.  Ah, 2.  In two weeks he'll be in Mother's Day Out once a week, so I'll get something of a break.  Ah, time to breathe!

I sewed up a couple of shirts in the last week.  I like making my own wardrobe THAT FITS!  Next up is a dress I've been dying to make for 2 months now.

And the feral boy demands attention.....

< Quote on Twilight | Hot damn. >
a diary for me, too! | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
garage sale by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:41:40 AM EST
Depending on local economics, don't expect to sell much, and expect to spend lots of time pricing crap, putting it outside etc.. Try to spend as little effort as possible, and whatever doesn't sell, haul to the DAV/salvation army/whatever.. Not trying to be a dick, but keep the expectations in the basement. Expect to earn very little, and expect it all to be a hassle.

(we've given up on yard sale/garage sale. We freecycle what we can, and trash or donate the rest.)

expectations are low by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:46:03 AM EST
this is the neighborhood g-sale, so we don't have to advertise, just throw up a table.  most things will be priced about $1 or less, some $5, and a few at $10.

i figure we'll make $50 or so.  maybe more if i find more stuff between now and then (probably will).

Freecycle always seems like a hassle to me.

depends on the folks for freecycle by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:48:58 AM EST
we generally post, get a reply, leave it on the porch. If not picked up in 2-3 days, re-post.. The only work is answering the emails, and asking "hey, is that box still on the porch ?"

(unsure what other area's are like -- ours seems to be local you-pick-up.. )

When are you going to drink the Kool-Aid by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 01:16:41 PM EST
and join facebook girlie girl?

planning on never by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 03:01:38 PM EST
clock keeps me up on the what's what.  he's even "friends" with a bunch of my family and friends.

That was my plan by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 03:36:17 PM EST
Then I found out that some old friends, that I've known since 1970 or so, keep in touch that way.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

those are the ones by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 03:36:59 PM EST
i make clock friend  :)

It's a matter of perspective by theboz (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 09:34:04 PM EST

She was fairly good on Saturday.  Right now though, I'm sitting here wondering if my pinky toe is broken because someone was running and landed on it with her heel and her full weight above it.

Oh, and as far as Saturday is concerned, sorry about having the coworker come along.  I have trouble telling people no, and his wife had been bugging him to see us outside of work.  I've been getting frustrated with my work situation in no small part due to him though, and my wife is being annoyed by his wife, so the next time we all get together, I'll make sure it's in no way connected to my job or anyone that I work with.  That's actually one of the reasons we didn't throw a public birthday party for my daughter this year.  I didn't want to have to deal with that family.
- - - - -

The painting. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 08:52:35 PM EST
I can see what you wanted to do - you wanted to paint the squares using the primary colors in the flamingo?

I guess that's ok, but I can't help but think that the squares would look more interesting if they had 2 colors blended together in a pattern that complimented each other. For instance - blue and purple swirled together in the blue square, red and pink in the red square, orange and gold in the orange square, and so on.

I like that you took the time to create your own art - that's the best kind to have around the home!

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

close! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 12:51:07 PM EST
i came up with the idea last year, before i had colors solidified for the kitchen in general.  the flamingo was just SO COOL, i had to use it.  anyway, i picked up some faboo fabric for curtains and chair covers, and pulled the colors from it instead of from the flamingo (which is where i was originally leaning).

when i look at the painting on its own, i feel weird about it.  it's not exactly what i envisioned, the colors seem off relative to the flamingo, etc.  BUT, in the context of the room, it looks really good.  the colors are complemented, the flamingo is one of many (MANY), etc.  it's a backwards thing: the painting was created from elements of the room instead of the painting already existing and complementing what's already there.

clock pointed out that i'm a decorator and not an artist.  i totally agree with the assessment.

I have no decorating talent whatsoever. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 21, 2009 at 02:18:57 PM EST
I respect your decorating ability and have to say that I trust that your painting works for the room.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly