Print Story Quote on Twilight
By cam (Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 09:20:58 AM EST) (all tags)
from here:

But in the end, you really can't argue with the success of a book/movie series that has so perfectly played into the cultural zeitgeist. "Twilight" plays into the zeitgeist of teen girls who feel less threatened by the sexuality of men when these men wear more makeup than them and have hotter hair. "Twilight" plays into the aforementioned sociopathic narcissism of the teen girl who secretly feels she's too good for her nerdy friends and would betray them in a second to hang out with the cheerleaders and the jocks.

I havent seen twilight, other than what I know from magazine at the the checkout line in the grocery store. And I am not a teen. Disclaimers.

< on the middle of a short week | a diary for me, too! >
Quote on Twilight | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My first crushes as a girl were .... by me0w (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:05:45 AM EST
Boy George and David Bowie.

I really can't say anything.

What's interesting to me by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 10:32:56 AM EST
Is that Twilight fans take so much grief from people who, on average, can probably name more Autobots or NCC starships than US Presidents. Don't point that out to them, though (or do if you want to have some fun).

I just think by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 09:02:24 PM EST
that True Blood is so much better, so why does Twilight bother existing? ;)

Okay, sure sure, True Blood and the books it's based off of aren't made for kids/young-teens. But when I was a teen reading vampire books, much of the thrill was that they weren't "age-appropriate" books (actually, I had gotten my library card before my city implemented specific youth cards, and if I had been stuck with one of the youth cards I wouldn't have been able to take out the books that I did).

I mean, c'mon. Sugar-coated vampire stories just don't serve much purpose. There are a lot of other vampire novels or series' out there too that are, yes, not highbrow literary pieces but they don't need to be, and they aren't nearly as toothless as the Twilight books (ye gods, I must have read dozens before I even made it out of Junior High, though to be fair I was also averaging more than a novel a day regardless).

Full disclosure, although I can't name more than a half-dozen autobots I probably can name the same number Federation starships as U.S. Presidents. But hey, there's a lot more Federation ships than there's been Presidents. Plus I live in Canada. Hey, shut up! Stop making fun of me! You're mean!

But in all semi-seriousness, the linked-to (semi-meta)-review is fairly thoughtful and accurate (I have, myself, read all the books. They were awful but nonetheless enjoyable, to a degree because of that awfulness.)

threatened? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 11:53:22 AM EST
If anything young ladies respond to men prettier than they are by getting bitchy the same way they do with women who are prettier than they are.

Twilight by duxup (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 02:12:57 PM EST
I don't get all the internet angst over the angsty Twilight.  Perhaps I’m overstating it but it seems the political BS TV show attitude where you should throw a #### fit over anything not spouting your particular narrative as you see it has migrated over to throwing fits about movies.  Do other people like something you don’t?  Well #### something must be wrong with them!

____
Go TEAM JACOB! by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 07:43:30 PM EST
LO is obsessed with the series. I mean, obsessed to the point that she can recite scenes, knows an insane amount of trivia and uses the character's names interchangeably with their real names. She gets that it's just a book - but I do understand that it's a form of escapism (into something relatively safe) for her. Honestly, I wouldn't mind her idealizing Edward or Jacob for a few more years. Hell, until she's like 25 and ready to date. :-P
The series is my daughter's favorite by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 08:22:42 PM EST
We did the midnight bookstore visits for the last couple of books. You?

Twilight seemed to fill the void that Harry Potter left as she grew up.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

As someone who hates the Twilight series by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 08:32:44 PM EST
That is some of the most superficial, condescending and perverse commentary I've seen on it.

Cicero, The Republic