Print Story Gaming google calendar
By ana (Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 12:01:26 PM EST) horizontal rules (all tags)
And other fun stuff off the web.

So pretty much every day toxicfur and I exchange e-mails throughout the day. Typically I start it off with a message whose subject line includes the day of the week.

Gmail loves to search through text and create proposed appointments, each with an "add to calendar" button in the sidebar. The best such event to date was "Cat is", which it abstracted from the title "Monday cat is Tuesday" for some week when there was a holiday on Monday, making Tuesday the effective Monday-of-the-week.

Today's is almost as good: "Friday, at last!" produced an event "at last!" which is to be held next Friday, at the location (wait for it...) "last".

In writing news, there's an anthology being put together of "hint fiction", which is defined as a story of 25 words or less which suggests a much larger and more complex story. Sounds kind of like the 6-word novel meme that went around a few months ago. Which was based on Hemmingway's "For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Anyway, details are here: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2009/08/hint-fiction-anthology-open-submissions.html

I thought it might be fun to post some drafts here.

So far this week we've been awakened in the wee hours to:
  • A screaming raccoon. It's unclear whether our cat had something to do with that, but toxicfur found the usually indoor kitty outside when she went out to investigate. And indoor-outdoor kitty was missing his collar (still not recovered). The screams fit nicely into my dream as a tropical bird call, which was odd as neither tropics nor birds figured into it otherwise.
  • A puking cat. On the bed. Not like a hairball, where you have time to shoo the cat off the bed (if you happen to be awake). Just materialized, cough, cough, bleargh. Eeuw. At least it was mostly undigested food, and so relatively easily cleaned up.
  • Who knows what's next.

Yesterday I packed myself a lunch: sandwich with salami and mustard, some chips, some dried figs. When I arrived at work, lunch was noplace to be found, so I figured (correctly) that I'd left it on the kitchen table and (incorrectly) that the dog had eaten it. Are you sure you're a dog??

Perhaps I should open a twitter account I can actually use with "you lot" (as the brits would say).

Oh, and this: particlezoo.net  I love the stealthy little bandit masks they put on the neutrinos.

[this space intentionally left blank]

We're probably driving to NC in a couple weeks, to visit the due-any-day-now new niece. And also the 1.5 year-old one. And their parents. And just generally relax, away from work, for a while.

And now, lunchtime. For notafurry: you're late getting to work.
< Counting down the hours | No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter >
Gaming google calendar | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 12:04:22 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

nieces by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 12:12:18 PM EST
hrm. Thought TF's S-i-L that was preggers was married to the bro that sent the nasty letter telling TF and other bro to "bugger off and give me mah money".. Or are both S-i-L's preggers ?

Different S-I-L by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 12:13:12 PM EST
Also different from the mother of the 18-mo niece.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

What ana said. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 12:32:02 PM EST
For clarity, there are four of us in my family. I'm the oldest (and the only girl), and I have three younger brothers: 1) K, the closest in age to me,  told the rest of us to bugger off, expecting a kid in February; 2) P, the middle one, has an 18-mo-old kid who is the cutest baby evar; and 3) J, the youngest, the co-executor of my mom's estate, expecting his first child real soon now.
hint fiction by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 07:52:22 PM EST
I posted a link here to the original contest that led to the anthology a while ago. I noodled around with a couple attempts back then but I think training my brain to work that way is a longer-term project. By the way, the originator of the genre, the contest, and the anthology has a novella online that I thought tox might find mildly amusing, but I can't remember if I passed on that link. It's not a bad way to pass the time.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
Your drafts here, or ours? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Aug 15, 2009 at 02:10:37 AM EST
Man, I'm gonna need a better pseudonym.

Whatever. by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Aug 15, 2009 at 07:21:40 AM EST
I mean... how hard can it be? Bury a whole story in 25 words?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I think I'll post it in another diary. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 15, 2009 at 12:02:16 PM EST
It may offend the easily butt-hurt.

I think by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Aug 16, 2009 at 08:01:57 AM EST
You should make it a recurring appointment.

You know, if I ate racoon I'd probably react that way too.

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

coon's good eatin. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Aug 16, 2009 at 02:02:43 PM EST
gotta get em young though

Click