This struck me from the Paxton article:
Feelings propel fascism more than thought does. We might call them mobilizing passions, since they function in fascist movements to recruit followers and in fascist regimes to "weld" the fascist "tribe" to its leader. The following mobilizing passions are present in fascisms, though they may sometimes be articulated only implicitly:I wonder if Palin will lead to a re-write of his sixth point someday in the future.
- The primacy of the group, toward which one has duties superior to every right, whether universal or individual.
- The belief that one's group is a victim, a sentiment which justifies any action against the group's enemies, internal as well as external.
- Dread of the group's decadence under the corrosive effect of individualistic and cosmopolitan liberalism.
- Closer integration of the community within a brotherhood (fascio) whose unity and purity are forged by common conviction, if possible, or by exclusionary violence if necessary.
- An enhanced sense of identity and belonging, in which the grandeur of the group reinforces individual self-esteem.
- Authority of natural leaders (always male) throughout society, culminating in a national chieftain who alone is capable of incarnating the group's destiny.
- The beauty of violence and of will, when they are devoted to the group's success in a Darwinian struggle.
Even though it was posted on August 7, the article seemed especially timely today because of this picture. I didn't read it in the Guardian, but my local newsrag had a headline about death threats to Obama with a similar story, and the same photo / caption. I'd like to know what Sara Robinson, the author of the Alternet article, thought of that picture, and whether it will affect what she writes in her followup article.
I read the sign in the picture before I read the story, and I was actually frightened. I recognized the reference to the Jefferson quote, and the 9mm only made it feel more ominous.
The new brownshirt is coming. He wears a baseball cap and blue jeans.
|< I'm getting tired out. | Out of steam >|