Print Story One Doesn't Think of Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers
Music
By wiredog (Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 12:41:43 PM EST) (all tags)
In their 90's. R.I.P. Les Paul, age 92 94.

In other news, Keith Richards is still alive.

Remember the anti-globalization protests in the late 90's/early 00's? The ones that drove the centrists, and unions, into the pro-globalization camp? And the anti-war protesters in 2002/03 which did the same WRT Iraq?

I wonder if the Republicans, with their lineup of crazies opposing health insurance reform, have forgotten them too.

< Oily X-Ray Fish Vision | ---------------> This guy <----------------- >
One Doesn't Think of Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
anti-war protesters in 2002/03 by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 01:00:38 PM EST
I'm not sure there was much impact by those folks driving anyone anywhere.   For the most pate people didn't see much of them IMO.

____
Sad news that by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 01:20:26 PM EST
I'm going to pay a tribute to Les Paul by picking up my Les Paul and playing my favourite song of his, Stairway to Heaven!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

C'mon, you know his by sasquatchan (4.00 / 3) #3 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 02:10:07 PM EST
Bastard... by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 02:23:25 PM EST
I've been away from the Internets for too long - my guard is down..

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Yeah, while it's annoying listening to by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 05:41:34 PM EST
all the leftists in an absolute tizzy because the "horrifying implicit violence" in the health care protests, the form of the protests has certainly been embarrassing to those of us who oppose the reform for reasons other than a fear of death panels.

At the same time, there's something hysterically funny about leftists lecturing the country about the importance of maintaining proper decorum at a town hall meeting.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Are they the same people? by marvin (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 08:47:46 PM EST
Just because people share some of the same opinions and values, and get lumped together as "left" or "right", is it appropriate to judge every member of such a vague group on the actions of the worst?

Perhaps the "leftists" doing the lecturing are as embarrassed about the actions of other leftists (such as WTO protestors) as you are about being lumped together with all of the health care reform opponents.

When the US has the highest per capita costs (from a UN report), ranks 30th in life expectancy, and 46th in infant mortality (both CIA world factbook numbers), I cannot understand how people can oppose reform.

Your health system is badly broken and your average outcomes show that your society is paying too much money for mediocre results. The changes proposed by Obama are certainly not ideal, so propose something better.

How can people oppose reform? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 10:30:38 AM EST
That's easy. You just have to remember that whenever Congress says "Reform" they mean "we're raising your taxes while making things worse."

I mean, go ahead, read the bill that Obama was demanding a vote on and explain to me how creating 5 new government entities and 1000 pages of rules is going to cut costs.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Re-read last sentence by marvin (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 10:53:42 AM EST
Awaiting your proposal for something better. I agree that it is pointless to replace a system that doesn't work with something that is as bad or worse, but the issue is that your country needs a system that does work.

(Comment Deleted) by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 01:49:48 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by ObviousTroll

I have. Several times. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 01:52:58 PM EST
Why should I repeat myself for you? But, okay, accepting that you're lazy:

1) Let the states do it. At least one state has already implemented universal coverage - why dick with it?

2) Alternately, to cover the uninsured, raise the eligibility requirements for Medicaid, using a sliding premium scale so that it remains free for the poor but people who make more have to kick in some money to stay on it.

Ta-da! Problem solved.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Question for you by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 06:18:41 PM EST
What is your state legislator's stance on health care? Why would they do it any better.

It also sounds like 49 states haven't made universal coverage, and most aren't.

Every time I hear "let the states do it", I hear someone hitting a lobbyist's talking point that they think Congress's price is too high and would rather buy off 50 state legislatures.

Wumpus

Wow, that's a fucking great plan! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Aug 16, 2009 at 04:24:54 AM EST
Hey, when it's implemented, try not to get sick in Mississippi or Alabama. SRSLY.

All I know by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 09:01:01 PM EST
Is that Richard Nixon would be proud of the whole thing...

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

the difference by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 10:59:16 PM EST
Save for those so far left that they made Dennis Kucinich look like a centrist, left of center politicians and pundits have consistently condemned those who initiated violence or even caused public disturbances in favor of left wing causes. Save for Mother Jones and In These Times, there was never a huge base of support for ACT UP or PETA in the left wing media. Sure, there may have been a columnist or two in the Nation that tried to lend legitimacy for the methods of such protestors, but for the most part they were soundly denounced by the left.

Now contrast that with the way that Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity and a number of GOP congressmen and senators make those who are told to quit their shouting at public forums into martyrs for free speech.

The reactions by the left and right might differ in kind, but it certainly differs in scale.

Cicero, The Republic
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 3) #9 Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 05:55:21 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth