Print Story Here I am
By littlestar (Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 05:49:38 PM EST) motorcycle, cameras, choir, music, theatre (all tags)
love me or leave me. Or, read my diary.

Hello Husi! So, here I am sitting at the counter of my little part time job at the convenience store next door to my house. You can't beat the travel time, but it is perhaps the dullest job on the planet. It is really meant for someone of low intelligence; they may find it challenging (you do get to sort mail, which is fun I must say). Of course, you also get to feel the eyes of the EIGHT cameras looking at you as you roam around the perhaps 1000 square foot area of the store. Yes, I said eight cameras; their views overlap. And, I have been told by friends that the store owner does in fact take the time to watch my shifts in fast forward for fun and profit while he's working. So, in fact, someone will watch this very moment (me typing here and now on my computer) hours from now and, no doubt, be exhilarated by the exciting action of my fingers hitting the keys. What a world.

Lots of things have been going on, as with everyone, life happens. CBB wrote a little bit about his insanity (which was insane, don't be fooled) of working two jobs. Thankfully that has ended and now he just has to heal. Which could take a bit. He has taken next week off which will be super great for everyone. Of course, it would be nice if we had all the money from that now, to enjoy next week while he is off. Instead, we will be scraping, having shelled out more money then expected for both of our two years of unfiled taxes. But, bright side to that is we will be getting money back from the governement.

I took a motorcycle course last month and got my license. That was SOOOOO much fun. Absolutely LOVE driving a motorcycle, as I knew I would. The trainers loved me. Well, that is, they thought I was hilarious (that's almost the same right?). Why you ask? Well, there weren't very many other students there (of the 37 or so of us) who kept smiling through the first day of riding for eight hours in the rain. In the eighth hour we were adding speed and doing large loops with weaving (SOO fun) of the parking lot and I was grinning like a mad man.  Heee hee hee! Of course, I still don't own a motorcycle so I haven't been able to ride as much as I would have liked since that weekend... but I do look forward to getting a motorcycle sometime in the future (soon would be GREAT!) and when I do you can bet your ass I'll be riding it everyday or near to it.

My children are still very sweeterific but they keep getting bigger. I think it's hormones or something.

I was working on a show for my stupid community theatre group, of which I am now a board member (this will be short lived) and there was more stupid confusion and lack of communication. I did lots of work, really improved my sight reading (learned and recorded almost 18 songs in two weeks) and then the half of the cast of the show decided they wanted someone else to do the music. This was because they felt I wasn't showing up for rehearsals. So, although the director kept telling them I would be at the next rehearsal, she failed to call me and tell me where and when to be. Of course, even if I had been just a total ass, the cast REALLY still has no right to decide my removal, but, somehow, they did, and the president of the community theatre group went along with it when they sprang it on him two hours before the production meeting; and then called me to tell me. It was very strange considering I had just a week before hammered out the schedule for doing music with the director who FINALLY sat down and talked to me (I had been trying to contact her for a while). Anyway, so, I did lots of work, quickly, now someone else will get to do the fun part of just teaching and singing with the actors, not to mention having their name listed for their work. Meh.

As soon as I got the call from the assistant director telling me I was, in essence, fired (!!!) I thought, well, that's it then. I'm done with that group. CBB was very upset - he has wanted me to be done with them for a while now already (he feels I'm too good for them, which, although sweet, I don't necessarily believe). I spoke with the president of the group, he told me that he too was going to get out as soon as this show was done (there are evil women taking over the company), and the company was in the black again. That was all yesterday. Today the president calls me and tells me he is going to do one more show with this group, and he wants me to be the musical director (it's a Christmas show so, really it's having a Christmas choir) and would I do it. Also, he wanted to try and get me to stay on the board. Of course CBB is very against me staying on the board (which I am too, so no problem here), and probably about doing the show too (here I am waffling... I like Christmas music, it could be fun to have a nice choir to lead for a few months). What do you guys think?

I think that's about it for now. I'm sure that's enough *littlestar for anyone. I hope this summer is finding you all well!
< Day One of a New Idea | Ending Alpha >
Here I am | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
When you buy a bike by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:10:54 PM EST
Go for 700cc+. They cost about the same as used ~400cc class bikes and are MUCH more stable and comfortable. You really notice once you're on the highway and only have to run the engine at around 3500RPM instead of 5500.

Exception: the old Honda 550-4.

As for the cameras, infrared LEDs are visible on video cameras, so much so that they can often blind the damned lenses. But while the ugly Big Brother shit is bad, the deterrence value of cameras in a convenience store shouldn't be underestimated. That, a $50 max drawer cash policy and a timed drop safe could well save your life.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Thanks Dad. by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:20:54 PM EST
Hahhahahahahaha... I appreciate the advice. I at first thought I would get only a 750 to start, but now after riding for that weekend I realize that I would be happy to just have a bike. The 250 we learned on felt bigger then I thought it would. I thought it would feel tiny and childlike, but I was on a Titan and although I would like more power then that, it didn't feel as fragile as I thought it would. Anyway, I'm just a newbie so I'm told I'll total the first one anyway!

I'm all for surveilance in stores, it does make a huge difference in theft. I agree.

*twinkle*twinkle*

My wife by technician (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:35:11 PM EST
has a Honda Aero 750 V-Twin that was cheap, runs really well, has required no repairs, and is cheap. Did I mention it is cheap?  Also, it was cheap.  Oh, and she's short (not sure if you're short, but there are few bikes that fit short people) and this bike fits perfectly.

Interesting... by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:33:22 PM EST
I will take this into consideration. I like things that are cheap. I am the opposite of short however, but I'll still be checking out that bike.

*twinkle*twinkle*

I've had my 600 cc bike by garlic (2.00 / 0) #34 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:56:09 PM EST
for 6 years now and have not totaled it. My bike class was over 2 weekends. After the first weekend of the class, I bought a bike (not having children to pay for) before I had actually finished the class. I'd say not totalling this bike is due to 50% good luck in not getting runt over by someone else, and 50% good sense in not doing ridiculous things like stunts or driving too fast, or driving drunk.

IHBT by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:37:22 PM EST
Canadian Gun Violence. LOLWHUT? You crack me up, man.

Visiting Americans by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:59:22 PM EST
jonesing for Cuban cigars.

I remember that shop. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:35:34 PM EST
That dude extorted 20 American from me for one pack of smokes.

I remember that... by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:31:40 PM EST
you were too shy to talk to me much, or perhaps it had to do with things of a more feminine nature. At any rate, when are you coming to visit us again; I'll give you a ride in my bus if you're nice. I'm positive the little Korean man I work for would love to take more of your money. ; )

*twinkle*twinkle*

Well, it was a combo of several factors: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 10:47:04 PM EST
1) I wanted to continue getting laid the The Jealous One. 2) I wanted to stay invthe Host's good graces and I was pretty wasted all weekend. 3) I was flummoxed after you corrected my mangling of your True Name.

Alas, I am 4EVA banninated from Canuckistan, so you'll have to come out here, you hottie you.

Ok... by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:00:13 PM EST
I'm working on that one. CBB still doesn't have a passport, hopefully now they will believe us that he didn't sell the other two, he's just really good at losing things.

I do recall trying to talk to you at the fire and you kept glancing furtively from side to side. And, I can't imagine you saying anything that CBB hasn't heard from some of the boys around here. I recall that you were much quieter then I expected. Unlike atreides...hahahahahahaha... I wanna do that again soon.

And, thanks! As I've mentioned before compliments will get you everywhere.

*twinkle*twinkle*

<3 littlestar! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 04:01:35 PM EST

Torn. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 07:40:19 PM EST
The most torn I've ever felt is between voluntary groups whose work is really fun and fulfilling and whose people treat you like shit. It's a real hard one, so I sympathise.

I"ll take that sympathy by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:35:54 PM EST
I'm still mulling it all over. I suspect I will do the musical direction of the next play, but I'm definitely getting off the board.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Heh by Herring (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 04:00:04 AM EST
I did the lighting for one production for SD's youth theatre group. One. And that's where the total is staying.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Small town Ontario "Arts"...... by Fela Kuti (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 07:44:24 PM EST
Don't be surprised they are hard to deal with. And petty. Ontario is about being conservative, but accommodating until it seems inconvenient. A side note note: no Canadian artist should ever deal with Canadians if they want to be successful. Small town liberals (I'M ARTSEY!!!!)  that moved north from Toronto tend to be Wisteria Lane as far as I can tell.

The guys who run the convenience stores in my town (2!!) are not of low intelligence. They are pretty successful, actually.

Sure... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:28:21 PM EST
they run the place. That is certainly harder then just running the cash. Although, I don't think I said anything about low intelligence making one unsuccessful. There are very many people of low intelligence doing very well for themselves.

*twinkle*twinkle*

I'd just say that your comment was not by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 06:23:35 PM EST
exactly warranted. Listen to me on the small-town theatre thing, though. You don't need the headache of people with limited imagination and limited interests.

Hooray, a littlestar diary! by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #9 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:08:20 PM EST
I still really want to take a motorcycle course, and I still want a motorbike. I'm totally digging my pedal bike for now, but motorcycles are soooo much fun.

ana was in an early music singing group for a while, until the insanity of the current director made it rather unbearable. There's not really much of a story there, except that it was another case of what should be fun becoming really frustrating work. I hope you find something that uses your talents and lets you have fun, too.

You're cute by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 08:37:09 PM EST
I have a fan club. Hahahahaha.... it's like you, and CBB and.... hahahhaha.. that could be it. But it's still REALLY cool!!

*twinkle*twinkle*

I'm a fan! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 09:44:23 AM EST
and I know clock is.  You have more fans than you think!

On the music thing by motty (4.00 / 3) #15 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 09:26:07 PM EST
Sounds like you're good and you work hard at it and you get results.

Don't waste time and energy working with people who will hate you for that. Work with people who will love you for it. There's no shortage of them either. They're a bit harder to find, but so much the more worth it.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

I have been in your workplace. by atreides (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 10:46:30 PM EST
I think I bought a box of Pop-Tarts...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Pop-Tarts: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 10:51:20 PM EST
"Bank's closed, so that'll be 27 of your Yanqui Petrodollars."

Unless you're from California. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 01:02:35 AM EST
I hear their IOUs are worth about the same in Zimbabwean dollars...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

WIPO by Phage (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 03:56:39 AM EST
If he's watching in FF, some sort of subliminal images on a flashcard ?

...Rock you like a hurricane! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 06:58:15 AM EST
From the diary title I thought you were going all cheesy 80's metal on us!

WIPO by brokkr (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 07:29:54 AM EST
I usually make crazy faces or stick my tongue out at surveillance cameras. Might as well give Big Brother a laff.

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

WIPO: do silly dances by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:35:07 PM EST
Then look for yourself on youtube.

From a by ni (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 07:53:02 PM EST
company I once worked at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oP1AnacLXY

Christmas music by duxup (4.00 / 2) #27 Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 03:23:22 PM EST
Do it, what is the worst that could happen?

____
first order of business when I get back by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #31 Sat Jul 11, 2009 at 10:38:19 AM EST
after finding housing: motorcycle training and motorcycle purchasing.

*wave!* by jared (4.00 / 1) #32 Sat Jul 11, 2009 at 11:40:12 PM EST
Glad to hear what you're up to!  I love reading your and CBB's posts and hearing what you guys are up to.  I'm twinkling for you...

*wave back!* by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #33 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 12:54:35 PM EST
Thanks! I can you see your star and I feel the love!

*twinkle*twinkle*