Print Story Day One of a New Idea
Law
By gzt (Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 12:44:06 PM EST) gzt, snack, almond (all tags)
So, I thought to myself, "Self, maybe I should just start getting up early. It will help me to reach my goals more easily." See, the gym closes early in the summer. I've been hanging out with R and getting stuff done in the evenings. I also sometimes have stuff after work. I also naturally wake up some time between 5 and 6 on many days, though I roll around in bed for a while rather than get up. So, I got up at 5:30 today, ate a bowl of oatmeal, and went to the gym at 6. I got home around 7:20 and got to work at my usual time. I think I will go to the gym every other day, waking up at 5:30, and get up at around 6 or 6:15 otherwise (perhaps 6:30 on weekends). A bowl of oatmeal will always be consumed. I might also prepare a lot of hard-boiled eggs in advance.

I'll have to be in bed a bit earlier. On the mornings I don't go to the gym, I'll either get stuff done or go to work early. If I make it a MWF thing, that'll leave Thursdays free to go to church in the morning.

This morning felt good. I'll keep you guys posted on how this is working for me. Going to bed a bit earlier won't be a real problem - I just have to resolve to do it. There's nothing keeping me up except, well, R, and we're both into the "getting up early" thing - at least nominally - so that should be no problem. I see no downside. And a huge upside: guarantees of regular training, coming in to work earlier, getting more stuff done, actually having a schedule, having a reason to not waste time late at night. I think going to the gym early in the morning will help enforce the hours I'm keeping, biologically speaking.

Hmm. Left knee slightly pained at times, right on the fibula. Suggests biceps femoris tendinopathy. Must make sure knee is shoved out very well when squatting and it'll take care of itself. I'll ice it if it comes up again. I only notice it when I crouch down to pick something up (or something) and don't flare my knees out - never when actually working out.

Making time in my schedule to start studying. Making time in my schedule to do project management for the wedding. "Planning" is not quite the right name - it should be called "project management". We're managing well so far. I'm getting organizized. I should make time to start packing and moving. I should make time to give a shit about my job.

Hmm. Was going to hang out with R this evening after work - watch some original Battlestar Galactica, eat dinner, take care of some business. Maybe I should float the idea of looking at suits - there are a couple places nearby. Or maybe I should handle that on my own some other time. I think I'll handle it on my own. Perhaps on Saturday.

I am out of kleenexes at the office. I think I'll run down to the store and grab some. I'll also grab like a bag or jar of almonds (and maybe some other nuts) to have as snacks for the next few days. Almonds: I endorse them. Hmm, maybe I should look into almond milk instead of soy milk. Drat, it's lunchtime already. I wanted to have a morning snack. I'm eating lunch now. Bye.

< Evangelical | Here I am >
Day One of a New Idea | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Do not buy a suit by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 12:58:59 PM EST
before consulting with R.

What you and she think is appropriate wedding garb might be miles apart, and don't forget you have to look good beside her dress and match the level of formality thereof.

I tried really hard not to be a Bridezilla but I came close when I realised what Himself was planning to wear. Fortunately the crisis was averted.

We've discussed in depth. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 01:30:36 PM EST
We've discussed in depth my ideas and options. Exact implementation, however, is up to me. This is also one of those things where we have very similar aesthetic ideas.

Well, not quite: I think that, while not knowing exactly what her dress looks like but knowing the designer who's making it and the sorts of designs she makes, going with vintage formal morning attire would actually work for me. R disagrees and insists on a suit. I have a few options in mind, a couple don't exist off the rack, but one of the options is a navy double-breasted, and that should be relatively easy to find and it's an idea she has approved.

I'm pleased it's going so well for you. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 01:47:39 PM EST
The chasm between, "But I really like my suit," and, "But you need to wear a tux," was wide and deep.

I'm quite fortunate. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 02:45:42 PM EST
There's no way in hell I'd wear a dinner jacket at a 1pm wedding unless I wanted to look like a waiter or something. There's nothing wrong with being a waiter, it's a very noble trade, but one should dress properly at one's own wedding. The woman agrees and, as an aside, dislikes black bow ties in general. Top hat, white tie, and tails, like Fred Astaire, I suppose, if we ever want to go out at night. Actually, we have a friend in the opera, maybe she could score us tickets to opening night and then I'd have an excuse...

vintage morning formal by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 04:14:37 PM EST
gets a big thumbs up from me.  I LOVE the way that looks.

poo poo to our overly-casual society.

Oh, I do agree. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 04:59:46 PM EST
And I mean vintage pieces, not hired attire. I would certainly find uses for a morning coat.

Me too by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 06:06:05 PM EST
I did force my poor husband into a tux for a daytime wedding, but it was in a good cause: we didn't have time to source decent vintage wear and the reproductions were invariably crap.

Good idea, actually. Very Franklonian. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 07:52:21 PM EST
I do this by habit, too.

I heartily approve of your AM visits to the gym by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jul 11, 2009 at 12:05:02 AM EST
It works for me. Every weekday, I'm up at 5:20AM. I either hit the gym or go running before work. I can't really say that it's caused me to go to bed earlier. I am, however, more tired during the day. Although, I do have more energy. It's an odd feeling to be more tired but have more energy.

And almond milk is tasty. It's also not that hard to make. I tend towards soy milk, though. I like the taste better than cow milk and it's far less expensive than almond milk.

Cicero, The Republic