Print Story Got a UK govt IT contract
By jump the ladder (Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 04:25:27 AM EST) (all tags)
It's essentially the same job as I was doing with the banks sitting with the traders doing RAD development. So I think you know which govt department it is if I mention Public Sector Borrowing Requirement (a hint at what I'm doing) and what Gordon Brown used to do before he was PM. Money is the same as the banks. I'm very excited and pleased especially as I haven't had a contract since Jan. Start tomorrow :)

Poll: ever work for the govt?

Selling my flat

Due to having 3 months work in the last 14 months, my debts have mounted up so I have to sell my flat. Fortunately I bought in 2001, it's in a highly desirable area of London so I have lots of equity in it. I have already received an offer at asking price so the London housing market isn't so bad at the moment.

Subgenius End of The World Party on Saturday in Whitechapel

Helped Pre, Jamie and Michael rig it up before the start. It was an excellent night. Highlights included Pre's excellent video spots showing the destruction of the earth by the flying saucers in each time zone, Motty's "Monkey" cover and the excellent Milli Moonstone. Turnout wasn't brilliant though so I hope Pre didn't lose too much money.

< on flags | Cycling again >
Got a UK govt IT contract | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Never by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 04:41:13 AM EST
However, all my work since 2000 has been taxpayer funded, one way or another. Just as I have not actually worked for a govt., nor for a profit hungry scalper, it has not been wasted.

Profit hungry scalpers? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 04:54:25 AM EST
Surely huge loss making scalpers...

Depends where you look by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 05:35:54 AM EST
I was thinking of the contractors who make the profits, leaving the taxpayers with a loss.

Like by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 05:53:58 AM EST
The rail companies?

Not sure if I do or not by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 05:24:52 AM EST
I work for the council. Even then I work for a housing co-op that is paid for by the council, so I don't really work for them. I really don't know if I'm a civil servant or not.

And yeah, not sure how this pay freeze business is going to effect me...

The job sounds fascinating, tell us as much as you're allowed once you're in there :)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yeah by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 05:36:53 AM EST
Dunno if I have to sign the Official Secrets Act or not. Obviously the background check went well :)

I had a background check once by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 06:00:36 AM EST
Going for a job at the Foreign Office. I passed eventually but it took something like 8 months by which time I couldn't take the job. The delay probably had something to do with me being involved in commie groups in my youth and being questioned by the police, and the RUC in Northern Ireland (actually, the fact I did pass says a lot of good things about the UK...)

On the other hand they might have just lost my forms.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Inverse Hanlon by Herring (4.00 / 6) #8 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:25:51 AM EST
Never attribute to benevolence what can be explained by incompetence.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
What were you doing in NI by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:44:13 AM EST
To warrant attention from the RUC?

There's a diary in there I reckon!

Visited with a friend by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:52:16 AM EST
Who had relatives there. We had a wander round Shankhill and the Falls taking photos (we were 17 and stupid) and were questioned by the army.

We were questioned by the RUC when we got off the ferry on the way there and were the only ones questioned, which was weird. She was pretty punky looking which might have done it.

Not that exciting an experience really, but it is a bit weird having a soldier point a gun at your head...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Damn! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:23:39 AM EST
I was hoping for tales of Comrade Nebbish wearing a Che beret and sticking it to the man!

I once broke into an RAF camp - had a mate whose Dad was an officer.  It was a long way around to the gatehouse where it'd take forever for the gatehouse to get around to calling my mate, then getting the required permissions etc.

So we (another mate and I) climbed over the fence.

About 3 minutes later we were both flat on the deck, having been rugby tackled by a couple of burly MPs, kidney punched (or "subdued" as they call it) whilst 2 other MPs trained fully automatic rifles at us.

Needless to say, we walked the long way around on future visits...

Ha ha! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:34:39 AM EST
My god that was MONUMENTALLY stupid. Mind you, imagine if you'd got away with what thousands of peace protesters hadn't managed...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Hey by Herring (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 11:00:16 AM EST
In my parents' garage is a large (4' x 18") sign taken from the inner fence of a USAF airbase. I am teh ninjar.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 12:51:16 PM EST
15 year old boys and common sense very often have little contact with each other.

We had done it successfully a few times before, though.

Yes, I co-oped with the FAA by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:32:25 AM EST
and worked in the world's largest fireplace.

Yes. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 09:31:08 AM EST
I was an MP and would often kidney punchsubdue motherfuckers who jumped the fence.

Aargh, shame about the flat by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 01:32:27 PM EST
Still seems to be a lot of demand in Chiswick though... someone I know put in two below-asking-price offers, and lost out both to people just paying it.
This why I bought here by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 06:02:40 PM EST
Prices might not go up as much but there's alway people who want to live there, recession or no recession.

Congrats by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 01:42:08 PM EST
It is a difficult time m- just been for 3 interviews in 3 days and have a bad feeling that all 3 are going to be a waste of time for one reason or another....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL