Print Story Cycling again
Cycling
By hulver (Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 06:18:36 AM EST) (all tags)
Went out for a training run this morning.

Cut it short.

I've not been on the bike for two days, as I've been picking D1 up from her taster days at the new school.

She's back to her old school again, so it was back on the bike for a ten mile training ride on the way to work.

A thought crossed my mind as I took the bike out of the shed, "I've not had a puncture for ages".

I was just starting my ride with the uphill, then the fantastic downhill that I can get up to nearly 50mph on.

I'd just reached 45mph, leaning into a sweeping left hand turn when my back tyre suddenly deflated. The road went around to the right again, and I managed to keep the bike upright. I had some visions of falling off and sliding along the road at 40mph. Not a nice thought.

Definite brown shorts moment there.

So I changed the tube and went straight to work, rather than carrying on with the ride. My bike fell over when I had the back wheel off, and it bent the mudguard a bit so it was rubbing on the tyre. Very annoying and I didn't want to listen to that for the next 8 miles.

I think I'll get the turbo trainer out tonight.

< Got a UK govt IT contract | More stuff I need to know. >
Cycling again | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
Damned lucky by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:25:19 AM EST
It wasn't the front tire.

I think you can get some tough plastic inserts that go between the tube and the tyre that can help stop punctures.

Glad you didn't hit the road at 40mph though.

Scary by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:27:19 AM EST
Front wheel would've been worse though. Any idea what caused it?

I get a bit nervy over 40mph. On the descent into Brighton, it would've been easy to break to 50mph barrier, but there were too many other (unpredictable) riders around. I might try it on Reigate hill one early morning.

I have a turbo trainer, but apart from being boring, I reckon you'd get the best out of it with a heart rate monitor.

BTW to replace to 700cx20 tyres I had on the road bike, I got the Specialized Armadillo 700cx23. They haven't punctured yet, but then I don't tend to puncture much - 600 miles on the mountain bike without one. No idea why that is - Welsh Bloke often punctures when we're out.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

I've repaired the tube this lunchtime by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:54:21 AM EST
T'was a snakebite (pinch flat caused by under inflation). Should have checked the pressure in the tubes this morning, but my trackpump is playing up because the seal has gone funny, and it's a right faff so I didn't bother. Serves me right really.

I think I need to get a HRM, just so I'm getting the most out of what training I have time to do.

Mind you I did some intervals on the way to work instead of my 10 miles trip, and I was shattered. I only did two. 30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds pootle, repeat.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Intervals by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:42:54 AM EST
When I used to gym, I used to do intervals on the rower. 500m, rest for 60 seconds. Rinse, repeat, feel like puking.

I think I need an HRM 'cos I tend to go out too fast too early. Actually, I rarely cycle at "comfortable" - except the other day when I did the Box Hill run and didn't want to knacker my legs. Interstingly enough, taking it easy to the hill, blasting up there and then taking it easy back resulted in an average speed close to my normal "hell for leather" for that sort of ride (16.5mph).

The question is: cheap HRM or try to get a (2nd hand?) Garmin 305 or 705.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Get a GPS with an HRM by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:44:36 AM EST
That way you can tell where you're going on your trainer.
Trainer rides by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 11:33:52 AM EST
bbc by PolaLevan (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 04, 2015 at 01:15:49 AM EST

I haven't had a puncture for ages by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:02:11 AM EST
Never think that thought!

(Damn...)

Glad you're OK!

Well by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 02:18:22 PM EST
I put my lack of punctures down to superior bike handling skills. Welsh Bloke is a magnet for anything sharp.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Scary. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 01:31:04 PM EST
But I'm also jealous - I don't have a hill long enough to get up to 50 on - they all have annoying stop signs or red lights on them.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Cycling again | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)