Print Story Maybe this from now on?
By technician (Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 10:36:07 AM EST) (all tags)
Nothing like changing usernames and personas all in one tiny action.

This is a list.

The things every technician should know.*

1) Have you seen that television show House, MD?  Of course you have, you're alive.  The show has an acerbic doctor who has one main rule for dealing with patients in clinic: patients all lie.  The first thing you need to know as a technician, mechanic, doctor, etc is that all users lie. They may not do it on purpose.  They may not even do it consciously. But they all lie.

2) Once they have lied, you have to make the determination to not take it personally.

3) The user may or may not know more than you do. Regardless, it is important that no matter how much they know, they never know how little you know. Confidence is key.  You cannot appear to be an idiot.

4) There's nothing magical here. These little boxes are all appliances.  They all distract as much as they solve. They are used for YouTube and Twitter as much as science.  They're not tools.  They're appliances: a specialized set of parts, including tools, that are intended to be replaced every now and again. People develop attachments to toasters, too.

5) This is for IT as well as some bench techs: you are interrupt driven.  Planning is a framework for the suggestion of what you might possibly be capable of doing if we were to lock you in a room and mount smartguns outside the door to kill anyone with the intention of interrupting you.

Sprechen of which, I just got interrupted.

*Not a complete list

< on not what you think | on flags >
Maybe this from now on? | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 11:15:36 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

About....? by technician (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 12:57:55 PM EST
I'm hoping to continue this at some point.  If I ever get a block of time longer than, oh, a few goddamn minutes.

Stupid employers, always wanting to use the time they pay for.  Wait

Armaphine? by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 01:47:28 PM EST
Is that you?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

which was the guy by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 01:52:08 PM EST
in NC or thereabouts doing IT work for some law firm, IIRC..  Diarized a lot about his sword fighting techniques etc, and infighting with the SCA folks etc ? Was that him ?

Definitely not him. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:01:21 PM EST
Sadly.

i toast him once in a while. by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:25:43 PM EST
RIP.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

that isn't the by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:55:13 PM EST
guy who died while camping was it ? Didn't think that dude moved over to husi..

Or was he another dupe ? Hell, never could keep up or figure it out. At least stacky's kinda coughed up that clock was bob's alter ego..

no. different guy. by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:56:48 PM EST
entirely different.

and clock is bob abooey.  and MisterQueue.  in a blender.  with ice.  mmmm...ice...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I hope to Hell not by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:16:03 PM EST
if you're thinking who I'm thinking of.

Houser. Or Hauser. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 06:27:50 PM EST

One or the other.

Nope, not me [nt] by houser2112 (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:18:45 AM EST

exactly what i was thinking! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 02:48:50 PM EST

Nope. by technician (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 05:59:49 PM EST
Part of me wants to wait and let folks figure it out via linguistic clues.

from a mile away by clock (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 07:18:37 PM EST
no comment

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

item 4 sounds familiar by marvin (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 09:16:18 PM EST
While I am not as confident as you are, the tone and phrasing do ring a bell.

Oh come now. by technician (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 10:31:33 PM EST
I can't be that obvious, can I?

'fraid so. by clock (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:51:44 AM EST
but trying to introduce doubt like that adds intrigue to my otherwise boring work day.  you get an A+.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Well atleast it brought by technician (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:06:03 AM EST
a moment of puzzle solving.

I do think that this less google-able version of me will allow a certain level of freedom that I haven't had in quite some time.

enjoy it by clock (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 11:17:43 AM EST
my change of UID was for the same reason.  works like a charm.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

talking about it by garlic (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 09:24:34 AM EST
just makes it easier to guess. Now I know too.

I'm assuming everyone by technician (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 10:20:32 AM EST
at this here site will get it if they haven't already.

you're not your job by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 09:31:16 PM EST
I say this only because no one has beat me to the obvious.

In my old job, they used to talk about "starting a new chapter in life." I always wished they'd come up with some better metaphor. Sheets of empty canvas. The propensity of ghosts to travel. You may be being mysterious, but I believe in your something.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Oh but I am. by technician (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 10:30:43 PM EST
I am as much my job as it is me. Since my job requires a level of creative intent and a certain genetic capability, I am my job in the same way thursday is a day.

I don't leave my work at work. I am my work: studied, problem solving, often wrong.

as I told someone the other day by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:37:08 PM EST
"My job is half writer and half editor. Of course, how big those halves are varies from day to day."

She laughed. She thought the two fractions would always add up to be less than or equal to 1. She's wrong. A lot wrong.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Also by technician (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 10:59:07 PM EST
I won't take this opportunity to embarrass either of us by mentioning anything untoward about my enduring respect and admiration and how at times you're the reason I write...and etc. My fortune cookie today read something about having tact and honor. Nothing about fawning despite the sudden opportunity to do so, publicly, with a whole new face in place.

But if the tables had slightly shifted at any point in either timeline? Consider our possible past a stress test for certain awesome hyperbole.

I can be no clearer than that without freaking everyone (us included) out. I've just wanted to say that for a long time.

Mr Badger? by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 07:44:09 PM EST
Dude, I totally thought you were someone else. I miss you.

But, uh, thanks. Both for what was said and left unsaid. The space between breaths, the pixels unlit. Hmm. You twist my prose a little.

I've thought from time to time about getting a new face, but I'm still using this one.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Definitely not Mr Badger by technician (4.00 / 2) #25 Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:59:26 PM EST
and I miss him too.  That jerk.

are you by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #26 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 06:39:03 PM EST