Print Story Telephone
By Merekat (Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 07:40:51 AM EST) (all tags)
The purpose of the home telephone is the emergency. The relaying of bad and good news.

Growing up without one, this was actually the function of the nearest neighbour's telephone. Every so often, they would knock on our door at an unusual time and say 'there has been a phonecall from England, you'd better come over'.

There was a missed call on the phone so I phoned the parents. My father passed it off as him accidentally pressing the wrong button. My mother informed me that my father has started coughing up blood again and has to have a biopsy. In 1998, the result was lung cancer and the consequences the removal of half a lung. This time, he doesn't feel ill at all though, but still all the tests have to be done, as that doesn't mean anything.

So today, is a waiting day like the next few weeks will be. A flat day where I go through the motions. I don't get sad, I don't get angry. I just wait.

Since 1998, cancer care in Ireland has gotten even worse.

And I hate telephones.
< nyearrrrh | TGIVF >
Telephone | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Fuck Cancer by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 07:46:03 AM EST
Dad had a blood test that indicated prostate cancer. The biopsy was inconclusive, meaning (according to the doc) that if it was cancer, it was still very early, and Dad (who's 80) was more at risk from the surgery than the (possible) cancer. So far. So we wait, and he gets the blood test every 6 months.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

*Hug* by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 08:51:51 AM EST
We've got your back. Always here to listen.

Fuck cancer. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 08:55:55 AM EST
Here's hoping that it's nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you.

May the next telephone call... by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 10:01:15 AM EST
bring good news.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

That's crap news. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 10:37:52 AM EST
I hope things turn out well.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Sorry to hear that. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 11:53:09 AM EST
Here's hoping that the phone rings with good news.

Best of luck to him [nt] by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 02:05:33 PM EST

So true. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 07:19:55 PM EST
Phones are the implement of the devil.

Now I get good news by email, bad ones by phone.

Best wishes for you and your people.

Telephone | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback