Print Story A bad fortnight for trees
Family
By georgeha (Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:22:58 AM EST) beer, no wrenchin', hexity goodness, trees (all tags)
goodbye to our neighbor's hundred year old cherry tree.

Plus brewing, Ramblin' Rose, Lilo and Stitch, The Princess Protection Program, Hellas, short week, Children of Hurin, Zodiac and less.

Poll: Favorite fruit?

Our neighbor's ancient cherry tree split apart this week, half of it is leaning against their house. The tree worried me, it was huge and old and only a matter of time. But, it landed on their house, not ours. Later in the week the tree cutting crew came by and took it all out, they did a neat job, too. I expect we'll get more light in our garden, and may even wake up with the sun in our eyes now, if the sun ever comes out.

I have gaming news, twelve year old and I played Hellas the other night, I was able to pull her away from her second viewing of The Princess Protection Program. It's a hex tile laying exploration light wargame kind of game, the first player to control ten cities wins, you can control them by finding new ones, or conguering existing ones. She won, her initial setup gave her a huge temple majority (3-0) so when she did a Burst of Strength (buildup turn) she got four actions to take Greeks, ship and cards, while I would only get three.

Oh yeah, The Princess Protection Program, the latest Disney movie of the week with young Disney stars (Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez). Some young princess of a tiny Latin American island country is spirited out of her country after a coup attempt to hide out in Louisiana, and ends up dealing with mean high school girls.

In better Disney films, I really like Lilo & Stitch, and suspect R. Crumb would love Hawaii, ooh those muscular thighs on Lilo's sister.

In incomplete movie reviews, we started watching Rambling Rose, and may never finish it. I might enjoy it more if I found Laura Dern more attractive, she's too skinny for me.

I have book reviews. I had wanted to read children of Hurin when it first came out a few years back, that part of the Silmarillion was the most tragic part in that whole tragic book. A local library had a few copies, I was in luck. It's a bit about a great leader of men named Hurin, mostly about his son, Turin, and his second daughter is prominent in the end, Nienor. Turin is the lead character, it tells of his journey from his conquered homeland to living (and chafing) under Elven protection, to living as an outlaw hunting orcs. It didn't grab me as much as LOTR, but maybe if I read it a few times I'll appreciate it like I appreciate the Silmarillion.

Next up was Neil Diamond Stephenson's Zodiac, his second novel, back from when he could write a short, fast paced book. It's about an asshole environmental extremist and his Zodiac boats, who finds some extreme PCB contamination in Boston Harbor. I enjoyed it, having been to Boston once, and around Buffalo and Niagara Falls many times.

It's been a short work week for me, we had yeaterday off, and we have today off. That hasn't stopped me from checking my work email, and doing a load of housework.

I'll wrap this up, later today we have to go my parents to clean up for nearly eight year old's party on Sunday. There should be a few familiar characters there. My nut brown ale is good, I'll bring a growler or too, it's not a kids party without beer.

< Damn | London Husi Beers - THE WORLD ENDS TOMORROW >
A bad fortnight for trees | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's a tough poll by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:33:46 AM EST
But I'm going to have to go with wheat.

I'm shocked that a book titled Children of Hurin would be mostly about Hurin's children.

I'm thinking about trying a batch of ale. This would entail a good deal more equipment and I'm not certain where to put it all. Fortunately, there is a good deal of overlap with the things we need to buy to make the chocolate raspberry port our family is going to try to make for Xmas presents. Large buckets made of food grade plastic, after all, are large buckets made of food grade plastic.

Cicero, The Republic
You don't have a five gallon carboy? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:36:15 AM EST
With that, and a cheap airlock, you're good to go for ale. Brew it up, let it ferment a week, and then bottle.

Not yet, it's on the shopping list by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:45:21 AM EST
Nor do I have a pot large enough to brew five gallons at once.

The air locks I do have. I've been buying equipment slowly. I didn't want to get everything all at once only to find out out its not something I'm going to keep up. I figured if I started with the bare basics and small batches and if it turns out decent, then it might be worth spending more money. Mostly I've been re-using things like gallon sized empty glass jugs from juice or wine.

Cicero, The Republic
I suppose a five gallon plastic tub by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:48:27 AM EST
would work, with lots of sanitizing, for an ale.

I would usually see a carboy once or twice a summer at a garage sale, for around $10-20.

Carboys by ni (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 11:10:03 AM EST
The bulk of mine were free on craigslist, found waiting on the curb and hauled back awkwardly on the subway from the suburbs. It was a good find.

Bearded man carrying chemical warfare tools by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 11:29:31 AM EST
on Washington Metro, I can't wait for that headline.

You can probably by ni (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:54:35 AM EST
get away with boiling around 3 gallons at once, for extract or partial mash brewing. I do. You'll still need ~ a 4 gallon pot, though, since it gets fairly foamy.

I started out just using my stock pot, and then upraded to a larger stock pot for to avoid messiness. It's not ideal -- everything I brew turns out a touch darker than I'm aiming for because of the intense heat on the thin metal bottom of the pot -- but it's more or less fine, and only cost $18.

I think my largest pot holds 10 quarts by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 10:02:48 AM EST
So I think a larger pot is definitely in order.

Cicero, The Republic
"for to avoid messiness" by ni (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 10:09:59 AM EST
That was ENTIRELY intentional, I'll have you know.

Oh, and I should say by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:46:24 AM EST
I'm mighty thankful that I now have the basics to start capping bottles.

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 10:14:20 PM EST
Blackberry.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
And for those who haven't read Zodiac by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 11:33:49 AM EST
George's description is literally correct - Stephenson actually wrote in the (epilogue? prologue?) that his goal in writing Zodiac was to see if he could write a book where the hero was an asshole.

OTOH, George, you and I are going to have to disagree about Children of Hurin - I could not finish it, I was so bored.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I've read the Silmarillion a few times by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 11:41:21 AM EST
so maybe being familiar enough with Turin helped in getting to the end. I did return it without rereading it, unlike Zodiac which I did reread, to clarify some plot points.

in initial setup for hellas by garlic (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 07:02:27 AM EST
temples are discarded and shuffled back into the piles.

Wow, I get a do-over by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 08:29:39 AM EST
I should recheck the rules to see what else I forgot, they weren't models of clarity.

A bad fortnight for trees | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback