Print Story Friends don't let friends drink vodka martinis
By lm (Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 09:44:28 PM EST) (all tags)
That said, I will have to around to trying a proper Vesper one of these years.

Blather follows.

So I decided to try out Google's Chrome at work where I've got a Windows box. Turns out that there is a problem with a nasty interaction between Symantec AV and Google Chrome. The work around is to run Chrome without a sandbox, i.e. with less security. What splendidness there is in security solutions that lessen the security of other applications!

Anyway, my first impression is that Chrome is pretty dang snappy. The UI looks more or less at home on Vista in a way that the Chrome-influenced changes to the UI of the Safari 3.0 Beta did not on OS X. Most of those changes, Apple took out before Safari 3.0 went gold. I missed their functionality but I didn't miss the way they munged the Apple UI interface. I'm not certain why the same things don't bug me on Windows. Part of it is probably because I think Google's interface was thought out better. But perhaps part of it is that I have two 17+ LCD screens at work while at home I use a 12" PowerBook.

But it sure is snappy. Did I mention that yet? It makes my browsing on my 2.27Ghz Core Duo with 2GB of RAM almost as fast as at home where I use a 1Ghz PPC with 1.25GB of RAM.

:: :: :: :: :: ::

The NY Times had a fascinating (and long) article on the assumed life of Radovan Karadzic. The interplay between the alternative medicine industry and latent fascism fascinate me. (And of course there is no small amount of precedent there. Just Google for the Gospel of Truth.) But the end of the article is really amazing. Do we hope that this vicious man really has turned a new leaf or do we want him to burn in hell?

`Do you believe a man can change?' he asked me plaintively. Then he said: `Karadzic is Karadzic. He lived before Dragan Dabic. My claim is that they are the same person in a life-and-death struggle.' As Kojic sees it, Karadzic’s trial at The Hague, set to start in September, is much more than a war-crimes prosecution; it is the internal battle of a divided man. `If Dabic defeats Karadzic, he has some chance not only to turn around his life but to reveal to many other people the possibility of transformation from bad to good,' Kojic said. But `if Dabic loses that battle, God will turn his back on him.'

The ending will be like an epic sung on the gusle, yet not of the traditional genre — more surrealist. The ending, Kojic said, will turn on the `testimony of a man whom many say never existed or that of another man whom everybody says used the first one as a mask.' He went on: `There will be other characters in the story, but those two are the protagonists, and they are fighting for their lives.'

If you still have a cassette player, you should buy this tape.

You learn all sorts of things on NPR. For example, I learned that one of David Bowie's children, moved to Ohio, earned a BA in philosophy and then did grad work at Vanderbuilt before moving back to the UK to get into the film biz. His first feature film Moon got him an invite from NASA for a screening at a lecture series at the space center.

I was also taken with the recent approach taken by Rowan Williams over the developing schism in the Anglican Communion. The bit that that surprised me about the article was a sound bit from the `liberal' side, that ``it was disappointing that Archbishop Williams had debated the inclusion of gays and lesbians from `solely a political or rights-based' rather than a theological perspective.'' I should probably read Archbishop Williams communique before opening my big, fat mouth but it seems to me that it would be odd that the archbishop would do that. He has all the tools he needs in his philosophical and theological toolbox in order to address the issue. Although, in most recent interviews and articles I've read by him, he seems to have become much more reticent to address the heart of this particular matter since he took the see of Canterbury under his bishopric.

Amusingly, David Brooks re-imagines PD James' Children of Men. Well, not really. Really, he re-imagines some other guy re-imagining the basic scenario of James' book. It's really an interesting question, what happens when there is no future, when the existing generation is the last one?

:: :: :: :: ::

Over the weekend, my wife and I watched The Shoe Fairy with our daughters. I was pretty impressed over all. Although I'm a bit mystified by the number of allusions to western fairy tales. Major plot points are driven by allusions to Saint Xupery's The Little Prince and Andersen's The Little Matchgirl and The Little Mermaid. Minor bits here and there alluded to Baum's Wizard of Oz books and quite a bit else. So many, in fact, I bet I missed most of them. Which kind of leads me to wonder if someone who grew up in the western milieu missed so much, how much someone that grew up in Asia will find them.

But of course, it could very well be that the film wasn't made for Asians. Perhaps, like Tarkovsky during the Soviet Era, the film was made predominantly for western audiences. On the other hand, it is true that Hong Kong does have a westernized heritage of sorts, having been a British protectorate for so long.

Neverthess, I found the film to be endearing without being saccharine. It was very much a morality play and a children's film. There was some very good use of color slightly reminiscent of Hero.

:: :: :: ::

Speaking of shoes, my shoes are dying. Almost exactly a year ago, I took them to the shoe shop to fix an exploded seam. The guy who fixed them told me up front that he didn't know how long the repair would last. It lasted about a year. Now, the same seam is starting to explode again.

As mentioned before, I found a very nice pair of shoes at a local secondhand store and discovered the first time that I wore them that the soles were not as firmly attached as one would like in a pair of shoes designed to be walked in upon this earth. As fate would have it, I tried gluing the soles back on this past weekend. I wore them on Sunday. They were the most comfortable shoes I've ever stood through the liturgy in. But by Sunday evening, my repair job had failed. The soles began to fall off again. I think I may give up on them and just shoot for new shoes.

:: :: ::

I ended last week at 171 and started this week at 173. Of course that's may very well be due to taking only one day off for the weekend, the result of shifting my exercise program by one day last week.

I think I need to start drinking more in the mornings. With the heat of summer upon us, I've been sweating enough make my shirt and shorts reach their point of saturation. All last week, I found myself getting dizzy towards the end of my time spent on the weight machines. One morning this week, I tried drinking an extra glass of water and had no dizziness. But it was also cooler that morning than it has been for a while. Calories may also be the culprit. I'm getting to the point where something more nutrititive than a single glass of orange juice is called for before I start running and such.

Complete sets of shoulder presses remain elusive. I've now added an additional ten pound plate to all the machines save for the machine I do shoulder presses on. That one additional plate makes the whole routine much more difficult. By the end, I'm struggling. Struggling is good. Boy, are my shoulders sore.

:: ::

For 9 of the past 10 days, I've spilled coffee on myself. The one day I didn't, I dropped the guts of a burrito on one of my favorite ties. Fortunately, cold water does wonders at preventing permanent stains if applied quickly enough. I was especially impressed at the way it took the red left by Taco Bell's fire sauce off a cream bit of tie.

The most disturbing incident was while walking to the bus stop. My shoulder bag slipped. The unexpected weight on my forearm caused me to jerk my arm sharply upward. My sharply upwards jerk caused some of the liquid in my coffee cup to go flying through the air and land upon the head and shoulders of a lady walking across the street at the same time. She looked none too pleased. I apologized. She was not mollified.

In a case that recalls the tightrope blacks walk with police, the NY Times has some pretty good analysis of the tawdry Professor Gates and Officer Crowley Affair . Personally, I think the problem less racism per se than color in the US has long been (and still is) a visual cue to economic status. The most interesting thing to me about the snafu is the apparent contradiction in some conservative circles. It's funny to see people who argue that government can't do anything right argue that, in this one case, the government used its coercive force correctly.

But I also think the most interesting thing about the whole incident isn't getting mentioned often. Similar incidents have happened to me, the neighbors noticed me or one of my friends entering my house in an unusual fashion due to keys being lost or forgotten. The police never got involved. They just came over to the house and knocked on the door and something like the following exchange would occur.

`Hey, Lee.'

``Hey Bob.''

`I saw someone climb in your back window.'

``That would be me, I lost my keys.''

`Moron.'

``Guilty as charged.''

Admittedly, I've also lived in places where the neighbors weren't so friendly. But even in some of those places, I've been given unsolicted, but welcome advice, ``Hey, I noticed so and so eyeing your tool box and he's a mean little punk. You might want to store it in your basement rather than your garage.''  But I think it notable that Mr. Gates didn't know any of his neighbors and none of his neighbors thought to come knock on the door to see if police should be called. They played a bit of the 911 tape on the radio. The caller stated right up front that she didn't know if the person entering the house lived there or not and that there were suitcases.

< Jobs Are For Chumps | Fire Call!! >
Friends don't let friends drink vodka martinis | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Gatesgate by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 10:45:29 PM EST
I personally don't think it was so much racism as the typical result of a collision between a typically egotistical college professor and a typically authoritarian cop.  The professor gave lip (as one would expect) and the cop found a bogus charge to make his day shitty (as one would expect.)

It does highlight how much cops want "failing to be properly subservient" to be a crime.

I do wonder about the woman who called the incident in...didn't she know her neighbor?  I smell neighborhood spat and revenge.

I do agree with Obama: the police acted stupidly.  The second Gates identified himself, they should have left, regardless of how many nasty words he was flinging at them.  But I don't think they, themselves, were racist.

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Not sure I agree by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 03:19:49 AM EST
The police have a reasonable right to expect courtesy in return up to the point where they abuse their authority.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
What? by TypographicalError (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 03:41:06 AM EST
So, after they experience a lack of courtesy, they should slap the cuffs on?

I don't disagree with that by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 07:20:45 AM EST
My positions is that this whole conflict is essentially two guys being rather dickish to each other.

The only distinction is that one was operating in an official capacity and one was operating in a private capacity.

Cicero, The Republic
A pretty important distinction by Herring (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 10:11:02 AM EST
Cos being a dick in a private capacity doesn't carry the same consequences.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well, that depends on how one is being a dick by lm (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 06:46:05 PM EST
But certainly, public safety officers should be held to a higher standard while on duty, especially with regards to using their super powers.

Cicero, The Republic
Why? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 10:52:57 AM EST
Does a cop's feelings trump free speech?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yes by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 02:02:59 PM EST
Cop goes round to check house is not being broken into and gets an earful instead of the guy civilly proving he owns the house and wishing cop good evening. If guy had said thankyou for checking and have a good night, none of this would have happened....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
"none of this would have happened" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 03:00:24 PM EST
If the cop hadn't decided to arrest the guy on a bullshit charge because is panties in a twist at being called a nasty name, none of this would have happened.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
fuck the police n/t by dmg (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 08:41:49 PM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Fuck yes. by ni (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 10:51:00 PM EST
I think I need to start drinking more in the mornings.

Amen, brother. Amen.

True, however - by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 11:29:25 PM EST
Friends do let friends take vodka martinis intravenously.

I want to try a proper Vesper too by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 03:12:59 AM EST
But every Vesper I've asked has given me a slap...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Who needs friends by TPD (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 04:03:05 AM EST
when you have a Walther PPK

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Exploding burritos by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 08:30:25 AM EST

Few years ago, a bunch of workers picked up some Mexican food and brought it back to work.  As we start eating, one lady's phone starts to ring so she swings around to answer, taco in hand.  Of course, after 20 minutes in the car, the bottom of the taco's soggy, she's squeezing the top, and as she turns around, the bottom of the taco drops out.  She answers the phone "Hold on a minute, my taco just exploded and stained my pants."  She still hasn't lived that down.

Government is the problem, a corrupt, inefficient by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 08:57:34 AM EST
mess, just don't let it compete with private health insurance, it's unfair.

We need to get government off our backs, unless your drinking age is under 21, in which case we'll blackmail you with Federal highway funds.

Conservatives...

Yeah. I was kinda skeeved when they hit our state by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 01:48:48 PM EST
with that.  I was right on the cusp though, and was only drinking illegally in bars for about three months.  I would like to note that our roads are still shit.

I was legal, for a summer, at 19 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 01:53:08 PM EST
then illegal again.

come to the uk by dmg (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 08:42:53 PM EST
I understand the legal age for drinking is 5...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
leech wash post today ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 09:08:09 AM EST
An interesting above the fold FP article on a couple of friars walking from Roanoke to DC in their habits and what not.. Made me think of you, though you're no monk.

Also, taco bell, whaaa ? After they screwed your last order.. If the fire sauce washes out that easy, well, can it really be good sauce ? (got money for taco bell, but not the post subscription  :P )

Chrome.. Alas, SYMC laid me off in 2007, as I'm curious what Chrome is doing that pisses of the AV.. (the posts are very light on the tech details, just say how to fix .. )

My guess by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 10:32:12 AM EST
it's an issue with the AV, not chrome. I've experienced one or two AV misfires. AVG once thought Dreamweaver was infected. It was fixed on the next update (about 8 hours later). IIRC, didn't McAfee disable iTunes recently for the same reason?
Agreed, it's the AV by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 10:53:54 AM EST
but I wonder if it's a virus signature issue (pattern match - some bit o'code matches the signature of a known virus) or a behavior blocking issue (ie doing something the AV considers "bad")..

When I was on support engineering, I'd get bizarre Solaris files that were flagged as infected, isolate the bit that was suspicious, send to the AV guys, and they'd put an exclusion in for it..

Not sure there's a way to tell by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 11:19:01 AM EST
from the user end. My guess would be that it would trip different apps. A signature would trip AV, suspicious behaviour would trip the firewall. But I don't know much about it, that's just a guess.
the closest thing to an excuse by lm (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 06:44:02 PM EST
... not wanting to stop more than once on the way back from western PA to DCia and Taco Hell being at the gas station.

Cicero, The Republic
Not just one but two by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 10:25:17 PM EST
Tape players that is.
Yeah I've found that drinking a Slim Fast Shake and then biking for 2 hours is hard.  So I eat some eggs or something instead.

Click
I also have two by lm (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 10:18:32 PM EST
Three if you count the double deck in my stereo console as two. But the second (or third) is in my minivan. I keep meaning to convert the few albums I have on casette that I don't have on CD to digital. But I never get around to it.

And I hear you on the slimfast. I drink Carnation's instant breakfast after my morning workout. But beforehand it was just the glass of juice. Now it's the glass of juice and a granola bar.

Cicero, The Republic
Brooks by duxup (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 05:10:18 PM EST
I think Brooks calls the scenario way too cut and dry.  I don’t think the reaction would be so uniform or predictable as he makes it.

Also since I only know the story from the movie his lack of turning the scenario into a well filmed but vapid sci-fi chase flick also seems off the mark ;)

____