Print Story It's true, once your kids go to college,
Family
By georgeha (Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 11:34:46 AM EST) screw you guys, Vietnam, social networking, uni (all tags)
they stop talking to you.

Plus The Best and the Brightest, coffee and steak, bye expensr, South Park, Facebook and less.

Poll: Favorite person in The Best and the Brightest?

We used to really, really like South Park. We liked it so much I mailed VHS tapes around the country, scoured the web for the animated Christmas Card, even cut out the characters for use in an in/out office chart. After the kids started getting older, we stopped watching, there was less time, and sometimes it wasn't as much funny as offensive. I found out that I can watch South Park on the web, so I caught up with a few episodes I had missed (Elementary School Musical, The Passion of the Jew, Woodland Critter Christmas), what a great 22 minute time sink.

The big news this week is that thirteen year old is off to a two week camp at the local SUNY campus (to the south) with her bff. It's some sort of green energy thing, she and bff are on the wind team. It made the babysitting for eight year old a little complicated, I took off Monday, and there's lots of full days at my parents. She called us once, Monday night, it sounds like she's having fun. She hasn't called since, or even texted. I don't even think she turned her phone on yesterday.

Later Monday night I roasted coffee on the grill (before grilling some thick sirloins, roughly tennis ball shaped), but I ended up with a french roast while I was inside getting a juice box for eight year old and mixing up a rum and coke for my wife, I burnt off too much caffeine. The steaks were excellent, though I can't see us doing steak more than once a month.

Saturday was the monthly gaming meet, I missed it. In the morning my wife and I went to a few garage sales, my cool find was Volume One of The Way Things Work  you could rebuild a civilization with that (says Niven and Pournelle). Another good find was and The Girl with Curious Hair, I've only read Infinite Jest. The really good find was a king sized (possibly) down comforter for $5, which saved us $$$ as we planned to replace ours this fall.

In other book news, I finished Halberstam's The Best and The Brightest, fitting since McNamara hit the news by dying. It's a long thick tome, mostly about the people in the Kennedy and Jonson Administrations who led the US into a fighting war in Vietnam. They really didn't intend to get into a quagmire, but they didn't want to appear soft of Communism, and the military assured them just a little more effort was all that was needed. In some ways, the book is a metaphor for the Vietnam war, it was a long slog that took effort to get through, but there was an end in sight.

I've been wondering about Facebook's suggestion algorithm, it mostly seems to work on mutual friends, though sometimes I have to google the names to find out if I know them (hence a few recent friend requests). I cleared a few vague acquaintances, and then I found a few old high school crushes, I'm undecided about friending them. I probably will, just to catch up on their life. In RIASC news, I discovered a product manager (one who helped send me to Ohio) is my age, attended a school I had considered, and was probably in my major. Freaky, we easily could have been in class together.

In more RIASC news, Mrs. Ha went to lunch at her soon to be new office yesterday, and she knew two of the ophthalmic techs from her last time in the field, 11 years ago. One of the retired doctors she liked may even show up once a week to see patients (his 401k probably got slaughtered). That doctor is the grandfather of thirteen year old's competition as the best math student in the class of 2014.

Oh yeah, she can go on our vacation, I put the remainder of the deposit in the mail. It would be great if it didn't get deposited until Mrs. Ha's paycheck gets deposited.

I was using expesnr as an online check recorder, but moneystrands pulled the plug, and their new interface is confusing. I ended up switching to mint.com, and it's a bit shocking to see all my finances on one page (it's bad, but slowly geting better, next year I should be making real progress). Motivation.

< Together in Perfect Harmony | There is a conflict! >
It's true, once your kids go to college, | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 02:42:30 PM EST
Thatcher.

Can you afford the vacation ? And where's the Mrs working now ? (It sounds via context like back at an eye docs ? )

Maggie? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 02:44:23 PM EST
I don't recall that, or even any British sorts.

opps sorry about that by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 01:27:04 PM EST
I meant Churchill, or that Chamberlain guy.

Did the best and brightest mention the G Man? by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:10:37 PM EST
G. Gordon Liddy is probably my favorite political actor from that era. Even today he's still remarkably entertaining. Granted, he's almost entirely morally bankrupt. Nonetheless, I find him fascinating.

And, yeah, South Park is hit and miss. Some episodes are brilliant, like the one with Korn. Others are just plain dumb, like most of this last season.

Cicero, The Republic
I saw him in college by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:34:33 PM EST
I forget if it was when he was touring with Abbie Hoffman.

The Best and Brightest doesn't mention him, Nixon comes on at the end, explaining how he won the '68 election. It mentions Agnew too, but that's about it for the Nixon White House.

'68 was the `secret plan' to get out, right? by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:40:09 PM EST
The Vietnam era is actually one of my weakest periods with regards to history. Well, most of the 20th century is. But even with regards to the 20th century, the Vietnam era is one I know relatively little about.

Hoffman was another interesting character. But that's a different topic altogether.

Cicero, The Republic
The secret plan was by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:45:56 PM EST
get Nixon elected, then bomb and draw down US troops until the Commies took over Vietnam.

I recommend the book if you want to see how the Kennedy and Johnson administrations acted wrt Vietnam, and how a shortsighted ignorant policy will bite you in the ass.

I suspect the architects of the Iraq War never read it, or paid on attention to it.

I might put that in the queue by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:17:04 PM EST
I just finished the Gulag Archipelago so I'm casting about for another title for casual reading.

Cicero, The Republic
It's about that size by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:19:57 PM EST
I found mine for $1 at a Goodwill. I can send it to you if you want, the cover fell off while I read it, but it might last another 2-3 readings.

I guess it's a book I don't think I'll ever reread.

I'm pretty certain the library will have it by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 11:57:00 PM EST
Granted, the libraries here in the People's Republic of Montgomery County pale in comparison to what I'm used to in Ohio, but I have access to the all the university libraries in the DC area. So I'm fairly certain I can get a copy for free.

But I appreciate the offer.

If you aren't going to read it again, I suggest leaving it at some random place around the city.

Cicero, The Republic
mint.com by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 10:32:22 AM EST
what's in it for mint if I use their site? it looks pretty interesting.

Other than transferring all your money to their by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 10:38:52 AM EST
accounts in the Cayman Islands?

I'm not sure, targeted advertising maybe?

their about page by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42:41 AM EST
says they sometimes make money when you follow advice given by them. It's not very clear.

That explains the introductions by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 10:56:36 AM EST
to the son of a Nigerian Foreign Minister.