Print Story Together in Perfect Harmony
By TheophileEscargot (Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:32:16 AM EST) Reading, Me, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "The Eagle's Conquest". Me. Web.

What I'm Reading
Finished The Eagle's Conquest, second in the popular series of Roman historical novels by Simon Scarrow. Haven't read the first: I'm beginning to think that it's best to start a series in media res, as for the first one the author's still getting his hand in.

The main character is optio Cato in a legion busy conquering Britain in the reign of Claudius, but also deals with his boss, centurion Macro, and the general Vespasian.

Seems a pretty solid effort, with lots of military detail. Good to see things from lower down the ranks for a change. However, the conspiracies seem a little silly and melodramatic; and there's nothing devastatingly original here.

Claudius here is presented as a vain idiot, nothing like Robert Graves highly idealized version, which makes a change. Also you don't have the good guys working to Restore the Republic, which is a break from the usual cliché.

I might keep an eye out for the others, but while it's workmanlike, it's not really something to rush out and read.

Me
Visiting parents this weekend. Took Friday off to get some chores done.

Finally got around to getting rid of a few books at the charity shop. Has barely dented the book-mountain though. Will give them a chance to flog that lot, then dump the Rebus series and Fool trilogy on them, but after that it's going to be hard to choose.

Theatre revisited
Troilus and Cressida had its official premiere, so the reviews have started to come in: Times, Guardian, thisislondon, Londonist.

Web
Random. Insectoid barbiebot. Daily Mash: Huge Increase In People Who Have Totally Got Swine Flu. Boggins Window Cribs. Miniature sheep trim grass in vineyard. Atheist de-baptisms. Frog and spider symbiosis.

Pics. HDR Tokyo sketches. Illusion. 75,000 liters of copper sulphate were pumped into a council flat.

Articles. British expats struggle in Spain. Midwestern submarines (MeFi). Rivalry between genetic and fossil biologists. Human killed a Neanderthal? Redstate attacks Birthers.

Video. 5 secs: chivalry is dead, copier's busted. Bronze Age Orientation Day.

Socioeconomics. Executives and top earners get 1/3 of all pay in US. (via). Stumbling and Mumbling: Do grammar schools help social mobility? Unemployment stats better than expected, GDP worse.

< on friday | It's true, once your kids go to college, >
Together in Perfect Harmony | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I voted by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:39:08 AM EST
for Discworld, Banks, and Parker. I suggest a USian based charity, the "Keep Georgeha in Reading material Fund".

Books by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:22:15 AM EST
That's pathetic! I thought you'd got rid of a big pile of them. I need to get rid of some, but then there's the acres of studious-looking bookshelves I want when I can finally afford a house (I know, not happening)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Scarrow's Eagle series by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:25:13 AM EST
Does get better, plot wise.  And it is as far as I can tell, accurate with the equipment and techniques they use, so interesting reading from that.

You can't get rid of George RR Martin series - he's not finished it yet!

Oh please by darkbrown (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:45:28 AM EST
He's clearly never going to finish the next one, let along the entire series.

Indeed. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:51:58 AM EST
I hate getting into a new author and you're a hostage to their efforts.

George R. R. Martin by komet (4.00 / 3) #12 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 12:24:24 PM EST
is one of the reasons why I now operate a Dead Authors Only policy. Of course, that approach too is being undermined by the likes of Christopher Bloody Tolkien and Brian Fucking Herbert.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
That is not such by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 12:30:47 PM EST
A bad idea!

Brian Herbert isn't undermining very far by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 03:32:38 PM EST
I have zero urge to buy his books.

that is an by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:31:44 AM EST
impressive amount of CuSO4ยท5H2O..  How will he dispose of it, I wonder ...

WIPO by Vulch (4.00 / 4) #5 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 10:44:24 AM EST
Get rid of books? Are you mad?

Neanderthal article. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 11:01:39 AM EST
Neanderthal is spelled with a "th" but is pronounced with a hard "t" sound, not a "th" sound. Why they keep going on in that article about "Neandertal" is bizarre.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Spelling by ni (4.00 / 2) #14 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 03:02:17 PM EST
'Neanderthal' is the original spelling of the valley they're named after. Around the turn of the century, a German spelling reform changed 'thal' (valley) to 'tal'. The valley, of course, had the official spelling of its name changed at the same time. You'll see both spellings in use in the literature.

In Spanish .... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 06:14:51 AM EST
... we always used Neandertal (the h is mute in any case, it would sound the same).

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 11:04:45 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Never heard of a British public library by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 11:38:35 AM EST
Taking book donations. They usually have to sell off old stock to make room for new.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #11 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 12:15:29 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Or to make room for internets by Herring (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 05:51:30 PM EST
because they are the way of the future. Books aren't "inclusive".

Saying that, I don't help cos I don't use the library. Mrs. H. and the boy do. I like to own books. More and more books.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I can't speak for the UK by lm (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 09:15:30 PM EST
But in the US, most public libraries take donations of used books in order to hold used book sales to raise funds. It's rare that donated books end up on the shelves.

My suggestion is to leave the books one at a time in random locations around the city.

Cicero, The Republic
Some of my books ended up on the shelves by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:18:36 AM EST
but they were new, right out of the box from the publisher.

Wyrd Sisters? /me sheds tear -nt- by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 03:33:26 PM EST

Fortunately by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 04:26:22 PM EST
I still have my other copy of it.
debaptising. by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #20 Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 07:55:20 AM EST
Sounds a bit melodramatic to me. Though I do like stuff like countmeout as they're aiming to have a material effect on things like schooling etc.

Two ways to get rid of books. by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jul 29, 2009 at 06:26:52 AM EST
My preferred one: www.bookmooch.com. You have to pay to send the book away, but in compensation you get books for free.

I also sell my books in Amazon, books  in high demand are picked up quickly if you price them properly.

My not so favourite: www.bookcrossing.com. Nobody has bothered to pick up books I have left out there, or they may have ended in the rubbish, so I don't use it much anymore.

I may have mentioned this here before (it seems like the "book problem" is a recurring issue for H. Members of this website), Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Literature Nobel Prize winner and magic realism extraordinaire, simply bins the book once he finishes reading it.  If that is a good solution for him, a voracious reader and lover of good books, it should be a good solution for anybody.

Together in Perfect Harmony | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback