Print Story In which I become MNS
By johnny (Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:03:13 AM EST) (all tags)
I cannot believe this crap over the arrest of Prof. Gates, AKA "the rich guy with the TV show and 20 honorary degrees and two multimillion dollar houses, one of which is on johnny's own Martha's Vineyard". As far as I can tell, Gates was a dick and the cop objected to his being a dick and reacted as a dick.  So we have a tale of two dicks, one of whom was there, initially, at least to protect the home of the second dick, and they get into a big swinging dick contest and this is somehow newsworthy? When the fucking earth is burning up and trillions of dollars are being transferred to the oligopoly and Obama is adopting each and every Cheney policy about the royalty of the High Ruler?

So now the whole of Daily Kos, of which I've been a long-time but increasingly infrequent member, is up in a rage about the "abuse" suffered by the multimillionaire professor at the hands of a police officer who responded to a legitimate call about a possible break-in.

And the President of the United Fucking States of United Fucking America is weighing in about a local police action? Am I to barf or will you do it for me?

Man, I'm glad I quit the Democratic party long ago (I rode my bicycle down to town hall to quit on the day that Obama voted for the FISA bill that he had promised to fillibuster, only to find that I had already quit months before).

For all its faults, until now I had considered Kos a place were I could find at least some kindred spirits. And I still do consider myself a "progressive."

But Jesus Fucking God Christ on a Rotten Frozen Pork Pogo Stick in a Meat Locker a Boat Adrift & held by Somali Pirates on the Amazon Eight Hundred Miles from the Atlantic Ocean on the Wong Side of Africa and Very Confused About that, how much of this crap can a sane man stand?

To paraphrase Cromwell, I beseech you in the bowels of MNS!  (Sorry, that was an allusion & turn of phrase I simply could not reist.) How much of this shite can one sane law-abiding would-be democrat abide?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I no longer care to find out. I think that as of today DaiyKos is as dead to me as Kuro5hin, perhaps deader. Oh well.

By the way.  Here's a picture of me in 1975 in the mud hut in the village of Fanaye Dieri, Senegal, in which I lived from April, 1974 to April, 1976.

I only post it in this story because here, if you look closely, you can see the last of my guilt for having been born a white man evaporating out the heavenly-aura'd window.

< Drat, I typed in a diary, hit preview, and then figured I was done. | Ask Husi: fashion ettiquette >
In which I become MNS | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Police report on Gates' arrest by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:29:02 AM EST
here.

I didn't have much white guilt left by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 05:08:21 AM EST
when I left on this trip (something about turning 30 made me grow up in a number of ways), but the remainder evaporated while negotiating the price of a pair of sunglasses with a street urchin woman in Goa.

As far as kos...this culture doesn't have much of a sense of community, so you get a lot of self-important whining about the falling real estate prices. It's going to take a lot of years of boot-strapping for things to swing the other way.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:05:09 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I wrote about it by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:08:11 AM EST
here:

If you're travelling for months by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 02:51:32 PM EST
You can't afford to go "ho ho ho I'll just pay ten times the real price for everything" in the way you can if you're on holiday for a week. And it gets quite aggravating always having to haggle everything down from ten times its real value.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 06:50:55 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

But you can't afford it by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #24 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 01:41:52 AM EST
If you want to travel for months, you literally can't afford it. And you're spending more money in total than a one-week holiday-maker: you're just spending it over a longer period.

Plus, it's not really an act of charity to throw money away on a rip-off merchant, when otherwise you'd be spending it with an honest trader.

Hi Dad by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 06:30:54 AM EST
Also, You had it back in the day...
Thanks, kid by johnny (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 02:31:52 PM EST
And remember, when you play, play safe.

Love,

Daddo

Naional politics by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:10:03 AM EST
Are a joke. Damn near everything that has happened in the past 6 months is a Spock-Has-A-Goatee negative of the Bush-8, which itself was a Me-Bizarro-Hate-Lois take of the Clinton-8. Neither side is really interested in doing anything besides attacking the other side, or making them look bad in some way.

This one time, long ago by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:24:48 AM EST
I came back from vacation early and someone reported a possible break-in.  You know what I did?  I showed the cop my ID, like he asked.  He apologized for any inconvenience he had caused me, and I thanked him for responding so quickly to protect my belongings.  I doubt things would have turned out any differently for Gates if he had done the same.

That is quite possible by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:50:19 AM EST
But the US has a long history where that route has been tried and not ended any better.

The remarkable thing to me is that this brouhaha is news. Thirty or forty years ago it would have been a `dog bites man' story if it had made the press at all. That speaks to me of progress on the race front.

Cicero, The Republic
even if not ended better by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:19:17 AM EST
if you want it to end better, it is wise to try the sane route first... and at least heed to any warnings given. I suppose prof Gates would've made a much better news story had he not acted like a complete ass and played his part better as to make the cop look more racist rather than...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Out of curiosity... by theboz (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 07:58:38 AM EST
How many white professors have the cops called on them by their neighbors for locking themselves out of their houses?
- - - - -
How many white professors by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 09:25:34 AM EST
immediate launch into a spiel when a cop shows up with key phrases of:
"This is what happens to white men!"
"Do you KNOW who I AM ?"

C'mon, boz, you're smarter than that..

do you KNOW who i AM? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:09:05 AM EST
my favorite story is when the Mayor Pro-Temp of one of the podunk towns around here was pulled over for DUI.  she pulled that line on the cop, then called 911 and complained "I am the MAYOR PRO-TEMP!  Call the police commissioner and he will tell you I cannot be arrested!!!"  it was awesome!  she was so drunk the call was all slurred.

It is a guaranteed sign by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:57:31 AM EST
of asshattery to claim that ..

Reminded of the urban legend about the airport ticket agent.. http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp

Varient that I attest it true by johnny (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 07:52:26 AM EST
Because I was a participant.  Long time ago in O'Hare airport I got stranded due to weather. All connecting flights were booked up. There were two bizzmen there with the same problem, and they started giving crap to the poor woman behind the counter, as if she could do something about it.

(This is a story I've told on HuSi before, apologies.)

Finally I got in the face of the biggest asshole and I said "You think you've got problems, buddy? I've got 'Monkey Gone to Heaven' by the Pixies stuck in my head, and I can't get it out!"

Which was, in fact, true.

Anyway the guy shut up and walked away.  I think it helped that I was about half a foot taller than he was.

You can Snopes this but it will probably tell you it's apochryphal.

Cops are dickheads by theboz (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:28:53 PM EST
They are also known to lie to cover their mistakes up.  At least the professor wasn't in Texas.  The cops here would have shot him to cover it up and it wouldn't have made as big of news as this one did.
- - - - -
What is the word by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 12:46:10 AM EST

for when someone prejudges an entire group of people based on inaccurate, artificial criteria, again?

Cops becoming dickheads by johnny (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 07:36:08 AM EST
is a real risk associated with the profession, just as alcoholism is a risk with the profession of being a novelist. (Of course police and alcoholism are also associated.)

And the profession probably does attract people who like to have power over others.

The problem of "who will police the police" is real in any society, even in enlightened, mulitcultural, politically correct, leftoid moonbat central, Cambridge, MA.  Heck, I know cops can be jerks. Everybody knows that. Cops can even be thugs.  I think most people will admit that.

In the case of Prof Gates and the Policeman, it's hard for me to think of a reason the cops should not have just walked away once the guy had identified himself as the homeowner.

What it seems happened is that Gates acted like a dick, and the policeman acted like a human being instead of as an officer of the law.  Which was, to qote Pres. Obama, "stupid".

But what really gets me is all this immediate "racial this" and "racial that" talk, and the President stepping his toe into this stinking pile of manure.  Jeez, that's really going to help further your health care agenda and your envirnonmental agenda, etc, etc, ain't it, Barack?

Talk about stupid.

Three by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 09:34:14 AM EST

I think I may have written this before by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:14:26 PM EST

but on the first flight I made post-TSA-federalization, they were doing random security checks at both the checkpoints and the individual gates. I was selected, and took my place in the separate line, right behind an elderly caucasian lady, and right in front of an elderly black man. After about a 10 minute wait while they boarded passengers, they finally began going through our personal carry-on bags, at which point the elderly black man went off on them for "racial profiling". Just looking at the line would result in a functioning human brain realizing this was pretty much the opposite of the truth, but you couldn't tell this dude shit, as he was delivering the same unempowered "I'm a victim" speech he no doubt delivered anytime anyone ever inconvenienced him in the slightest.

It reminded me that people are selfish, self-absorbed assholes, completely regardless of their race. At the time, I think I just said something snide about how he wasn't the profile they were looking for in the first place, and that he should get over himself. In retrospect, the only justice is that asshats are asshats, forever, and have to be around themselves perpetually.

I like the Jesus quotation by johnny (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 09:09:29 PM EST
"they have their reward."

In fact, I use it all the time.  (I should go back and look up in which of the Gospels he says it.)

I think in particular at that point he was said to be speaking of the wealthy, but I think a more general interpretation is that he was speaking of asshats.  Like for example asshats who have more than one domicile worth several millions of dollars & honorary degrees out the wazoo and TV shows and endowed professorships, etc, etc, and still think of them as "oppressed" by MNS and johnny and the rest of our evil cabal.

So yes, Mr. Asshat, that's your reward. That's what you get. You get to be you. Lucky you.

Word. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 12:41:40 AM EST

Everyone always suffers from the worst oppression (they've personally ever experienced) ever.

They can change the name of the party, but the game remains the same. Sadly, that used to make me mad. These days, people just coming to terms with the fact this is the way things have always been, and will always be, is what makes me mad. Forced servitude robs one of many things, but it shouldn't rob us of our basic intellectual dignity.

I hope he fixes my parking ticket. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:21:26 PM EST
Bleargh.