Print Story Ask Husi: fashion ettiquette
Sport
By riceowlguy (Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:26:01 AM EST) (all tags)
Sort of.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of boat shoes/docksiders/whatever you call them in your part of the country for a while, ever since it was pointed out to me how ugly my Crocs actually are.

I got an invitation to go sailing this weekend, so it seems like the perfect time to go out and buy some.  As a first timer, however, how poserish would that be?

I am also worried that I'm starting to collect shoes like Imelda Marcos.

I asked the guy organizing the sailing why he had said "bring any provisions you want to other than red wine" what that was about?  Boat safety?  Don't drink and tack?  "No, it's just that red wine stains the deck...there will be plenty of rum."

Ahoy.

< In which I become MNS | I decided to take a day off. >
Ask Husi: fashion ettiquette | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:30:34 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

How many pairs do you have? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:34:16 AM EST
They say the man who has more a couple pairs of shoes is a man who can make change for a nine dollar bill in threes. They, however, are liars. If you have less than ten pairs, I think your masculinity is probably alright. Personally, I think it should be 5 pairs and boots don't count. And for the record, I barely make that second metric myself with 2 pairs of sandals (though one is about to be retired), a pair of sneaks, a pair of dress shoes and a pair of formal ones for my tux with a pair of boots for good measure.

Less than 10 is safe.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

whatever! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:46:50 AM EST
men always say they have 2-3 pair of shoes, but most have more like 15-20.  there's a whole pile that "don't count" for whatever reason.

MEN, JUST ADMIT YOU HAVE MORE THAN 10 PAIR OF SHOES.  nobody cares but you.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:49:59 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

What do you know? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:55:45 AM EST
I don't have 10 by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:13:16 AM EST
But it is 5 or 6 at least, and probably more than Jenn has.

But in our defense, what kind of man doesn't have at a minimum a pair of brown "dress" shoes, a pair of black ones, a pair of sneakers, and a pair of boots? That's 4 right there, not even counting a pair of sandals perhaps and a pair of old sneakers for mowing the yard, which a lot of guys would probably consider a minimum as well.

be wary of anybody who claims 2-3 pairs by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:17:04 AM EST
as they will be the ones who turn up in your wedding in a suit and worn out trainers.

It is not possible to get by on 2-3 pairs, unless you are compromising.

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Within most men by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:44:37 AM EST
there are two ideals which struggle for ascendancy: "the right tool for the job" vs. "I can fit everything I own into a backpack and get on a bus for Mexico tonight".  Having three separate pairs of boots/shoes for hiking, wet wading and dry wading is very satisfying for the first one, but bad for the second one.  Of course, if I was going to get on a bus for Mexico (actually Alaska, in my case) tonight, I'd just wear the hiking boots and leave everything else.

lols by barooo (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:51:43 AM EST
I have the following:

1 pr running shoes
1 pr worn out running shoes for slopping around
2 pr indoor soccer shoes for "casual" wear (they're comfy, and I have one in light grey and one in black)
1 pr vibram five fingers for working out / hiking
3 pr flipflops
1 pr winter boots
1 pr reddish dress shoes
1 pr brown business casual shoes
1 pr black dress shoes
1 pr black business casual shoes
1 pr motorcycle boots
1 pr clipless cycling shoes

So that's like 15.  And before taking inventory, I'd have said I only had 2-3 pairs.  I guess I was just counting the "I can wear them to work or somewhere nice" shoes and not counting the athletic/special purpose ones or the flipflops.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
My arthritic condition made me outgrow my shoes by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:58:44 AM EST
For the ones I can comfortably wear:

black Deerstag wingtip
brown casual
tevas
flip flops
mc boots
winter boots
beat up New Balance sneakers
new Asics
beat up slippers
beat up slipper mocs

10 pair counting slippers and flip flops.

Quite true. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:59:32 AM EST
Let's see:
-running shoes I wouldn't run in
-Vibram FiveFingers
-shitty sandals I should throw out
-brown loafers
-black loafers - these are a little tight
-black lace-up shoes - beaten up, but suitable for business casual, I can't recall what design, they're not great
-crappy brown lace-up shoes I should throw out and replace, they were cheap and are falling apart
-shiny black oxfords
-boots
-snow boots
-black Chuck Taylors
-weightlifting shoes - I should have the heels shaven down a little

I have the boots because ever man needs boots. I have the snow boots because I needed them at the time I got them and I'm not going to get rid of them.

Men really need the following:
-black oxfords/balmorals
-brown, can be oxford, brogue, derby, whatever, it's brown, it's not too important
-perhaps loafers
-whatever casual/workout stuff they need
-boots

hmm your summary is missing sandals by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:40:16 PM EST

Unless they are under casual?

In any case, I wear sandals to work for half the year, and oxfords the other half - so I don't tend to think of them as casual.

yeah, casual by gzt (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 02:12:40 PM EST
Interesting. Non-casual male sandals. In the West. Well, whatevs.

I see a meme here ... by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:20:44 PM EST
hmm..
  • brown sorta-dressy shoes
  • black sorta-dressy shoes
  • dark red very dressy shoes
  • running shoes
  • gym/sneaker
  • hiking shoes (not boots)
  • Sandals (1 pair)
  • lawn mowing shoes/shit kickers/garage shop shoes
There's probably 3 pairs of old running or gym shoes in the garage, though I think I threw them out. (It's a trickle down -- buy new running shoes or gym shoes, old pair gets tossed into garage to become lawn mowing shoes.. Usually only the most recent pair ever gets worn, unless I'm doing really muddy stuff, where I'll toss the shoes afterwards..)

And a pair of snow boots in the garage I wear when tilling the garden, or every 4 years to shovel the 2" of snow we get..

let me think by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 06:20:05 PM EST
1 pair casual shoes
1 pair of hi-quality but worn-out black dress shoes
1 pair sneakers
1 pair of marginally wearable sandles
1 pair expensive but uncomfortable sandles someone bought me and I'm too cheap to discard
1 pair sneakers
1 pair of everyday steel-toe workboots
1 old pair of workboots for dirty jobs
1 really really old'busted pair of workboots for standing at the workbench because the cement floor gets really cold
1 pair winter boots (haven't used 'em for maybe 15 years, should probably get rid of those)
1 pair rubber boots

That's 11

I'm planning to buy hip waders this weekend, does that count as shoes?

Inventory by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:32:04 AM EST
Let's see...

Dress Shoe Category:

• Uncomfortable dressy black oxfords which I only wear on the most formal occasions
  • Comfortable black semi-dress shoes for choir singing
  • Brown semi-dress shoes for work/casual
  • Black loafers with kilties which a retarded Men's Wearhouse salesguy talked me into which I never wear but don't want to get rid of
Athletic Shoe Category:
  • Running/gym shoes
  • Walking shoes
  • Tennis shoes (actually for tennis)
  • Older beat up walking shoes for dirty jobs
Other:
  • Hiking boots
  • Wading boots
  • Water shoes for summer wading
  • Leather sandals
  • Crocs
13 pairs.  Maybe I need to get the boaters just to get past the unlucky number.

A boater is a hat. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:45:09 AM EST
Not a shoe.

A boater is indeed a hat by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:47:36 AM EST
some people also refer to the shoes as boaters.

How about asking the boat owner by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:50:37 AM EST
about appropriate footwear?

He said by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:07:24 PM EST
"soft-soled shoes or no shoes".

He's pulling your leg by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 12:08:41 PM EST
he just wants to see you slip off the deck. I recommend hobnailed boots, or golf spikes, for a good grip.

I would need to see a picture of your cravat by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 10:36:09 AM EST
and blazer first, to make a decision.

And a boater. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:13:55 AM EST
As in, the straw hat. Actually, that would be a bit formal. You can even wear it with white tie in the summer!

I'm getting an idea by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:46:08 AM EST
for a new music video: I'm On A Boat: Harvard Edition.

pagging our local boating crew.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:32 AM EST
I believe igirl is a boater.. Unsure if Ana and TF boat too .. And cranky old man, err, MNS, err.. johnny.. You hob nob with the boater crowd, what say you ?

(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:59:59 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

Sneakers by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:05:23 PM EST
Growing up, I always wore sneakers out on the boat.  I never had a pair of boat shoes until recently.  I wouldn't wear my boat shoes when out on the boat, because they just don't have the grip that a not-past-its-prime sneaker has.  Sneakers typically have better arch support and tend not to slip off easily, as well.

Peg legs only please by duxup (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 01:30:21 PM EST
n/t

____
I am a Shoe Whore. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 03:23:54 PM EST
Mostly Doc Martin low-quarters and Vans.

I wear deck shoes a lot by Herring (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Jul 24, 2009 at 06:16:20 PM EST
admittedly I was first recommended them when I was yachting, but even since I've stopped sailing, I have found them very practical.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky