Print Story We Were Aiming for Five Nines Reliability in the System.
Boredom
By wiredog (Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 09:50:07 AM EST) (all tags)
Instead we got nine fives. Oh well.

That line just came into my head. No idea if it's actually original or not.

My friend Scott, a meteorologist, had a fierce headache. So he went and got a spinal tap, as meningitis was suspected. Various rare and unlikely complications ensued (it all came out well in the end). The sort of complications that fall into the "complication one only happens to 1/x of the population, of that 1/x, only 1/y get complication two, and of that 1/y, complication three is so rare that it's a sure-fire way to be mentioned in the NEJM". He got all of them, so now we call him "3 σ Scott."

σ is, as you all know, the standard deviation.

Lots of beach time this summer. Rough life, but someone's gotta live it, and I'm willing to Take One For the Team if necessary.

Anyone seen July? It hasn't made it to DCia yet. Temps in the low 80's, low humidities. Only turn the AC on on weekends when I'm out of the apartment, and it doesn't run much then. Power bill last month was $40, this month will likely be similar. July is supposed to be so ungodly hot and humid that it drives Congress out of town.

< Wiped the HD, reinstalled. | "Returning to Chaotic Boarding?" >
We Were Aiming for Five Nines Reliability in the System. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I still haven't put in our a/c by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 10:13:58 AM EST
This month's gas and electric is $72, which is really helping the budget.

wait for August.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 10:15:10 AM EST
thought some 3-4 years ago, the whole summer was pretty mild except for one very ugly week in August.. Granted, I'm ~100 miles south of you..

Move to the midwest by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 10:36:21 AM EST
I don't think my air has stopped running since late March.

No thanks by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 10:48:29 AM EST
I've driven I-70 cross-country this time of year. Salina KS at midnight, still horrid.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm in the Midwest. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 03:38:17 PM EST
Well, not quite the same midwest, but it's pretty pleasant here right now. You're a bit further south and west, though. There have only been a few days when I would have considered turning the AC on, but I haven't. The highs are in the 70's right now.

We haven't hit any records or anything by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 04:31:45 PM EST
But it was steady 90's for most of June/July around here, hitting 100+ more than a couple times. Hasn't been as bad lately as we've had some storms roll through but still mid to high 80's. Nothing unusual for us of course.

It's supposed to hit 88 this weekend by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 01:48:52 PM EST
not that I'm complaining - it's been great weather for outdoor activities.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Right now. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 02:41:14 PM EST
Temp 86.1° F
Dew Point 67° F

Which is uncomfortable enough that the AC is on. Tomorrow looks like rain, Friday it's off to the beach.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Screw you guys! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 11:02:06 AM EST
Fuck you, man! We're joyous that it's below 100 for the first time in 20 days. My power bills could feed a homeless person for a month or more!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Let's see: by technician (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 23, 2009 at 06:25:11 PM EST
Record number of days over 100, record number of days in a row over 100, record number of days without rain, record number of days in a row without rain, worst drought in recorded history in the area, local watershed (a lake) falling @ 2 feet per day, and it sprinkled yesterday for the first time in a month.

We haven't had an inch of rain in three months. We've had 15" in the last year, and we've had record high temperatures over the past year (as late as November of last year we had highs in the 80s,December saw us finally fall into the 70s).

Austin, Texas. There's a reason we smoke all our meat here: all you have to do is leave it out for a few hours and voila! Instant BBQ.