Print Story At least I have food service to fall back on
Motorbikes
By georgeha (Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 09:59:36 AM EST) parties, cupcakes, DMV (all tags)
Plus the weather respects thirteen year old, With the Old Breed, goodbye to upstreet_boy, new girls, DMV, books and less.

Poll: Favorite thing to grill?

We were anxious about thirteen year old's planned camping birthday party, it had been raining and thundering all day long before the scheduled start time. Mrs. Ha and I ended up cleaning as best we could, figuring we might end up hosting thirteen year old and her four tweenage friends. Miracously, the rain stopped and the late afternoon became very nice. Newspaper_girl, Porsche_girl, sa_girl, and swim_girl all had a good time, with little structure at all. They spent most of their time playing with balloons, including water balloons.

Sunday morning we stopped at the Lake Shore, it was nearly overflowing (I think it's called a seiche, due to the wind from the North), the beach glass area was under several feet of water, and the dog did not like walking out on the pier.

In other kids news, we found out that upstreet_boy moved to a Carolina a few weeks ago. We didn't have a chance to say goodbye, and may never see him again. Then again, it was in violation of a custody order, so he may end up back in town (we still probably won't see him).

In other birthday news, thirteen and I went out to get her present, she wanted a camera. After checking out Staples, Office Depot, Radio Shack and Target we found one at Walmart. She likes the mode selector on our Kodak, and she wanted pretty, a metallic green Kodak M320 fit the bill, and was very reasonably priced. Plus, at least a nickel or two will end up back in Rochester, instead of China or Japan.

In more birthday news, my inlaws from Pittsford stopped by the other night, the birthday stuff continues. They brough 12 cupcakes, the scavenger dog managed to quietly eat six of them. I should look in the wrap for poopy cupcake wrappers. I'm tired of birthdays.

In other outdoor news, we had a work picnic Tuesday afternoon, pretty much self funded, since $$ is very tight. The picnic was nice, my nut brown ale, doled out in small amounts, was well appreciated, and after working as assistant grillman I see that I still have my food service chops. Fortunately the various dietary restricted people (no beef, no pork, no cheese, turkey burger, veggie burger) were understanding enough about cooking their stuff on the same grill, with the same tools, as the verboten stuff.

It was odd, a bunch of Asians were meeting in the park at a picnic table next to us, and I played the game of generic Asian or corporate developer for a while.

In media news, I finished Sledge's With the old Breed, a tale of a Marine 60 mm mortarman on Pelelui and Okinawa. Highly recommended, he spares little about the hardships of combat, including rotting, maggot-ridden corpses everywhere, including in potential foxhole sites.

In other book news, the same evening the dog ate the cupcakes I was following the girls on a firefly hunt up the street, when I saw some interesting trash. There was a dsl/router, a big framed picture of Saint Paul's under the blitz, a smaller picture of global temps, and a huge bin of books. I ended up with about eight, a history of gold, "You are Being Lied To", and some mil hist running from Nazis to the first Gulf War. None looked that valuable, maybe I'll read them and then trade them in.

In bike news, I spent an hour at the DMV to legally re-register my bike, I have the gray tag now. I also fixed my gas leak, a line was unplugged, I wish all the fixes were that easy. It's still idling way too high, my current plan is to replace my accelerator cable and then try to fix the idle, whenever I mess around with the cables or the carb, I mess up my idle, might was well do that first.

For the first few years, I didn't have a stock air filter and used pods, with strips of flashing under them to restrict the air flow, and it worked great. But I found a stock air filter, rebuilt my carbs, and now have way too high of an idle. We're talking oil burning on a hot day too high.

I'm looking at a 3 1/2 day weekend, since I'm leaving around noon, and taking Monday off. It will be nice, but I have a lot to finish today.

< Teeth | Pig >
At least I have food service to fall back on | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:08:06 AM EST
Chunks of lamb.

Good one by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:12:22 AM EST
lamb is hard to find in our usual supermarket, though once I bought lamb-burgers, and they were awesome.

costco ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:24:34 AM EST
They regularly have legs (de-boned, usually..) and chops (french dressed) in the meat/butcher area.. I've also seen some in the freezer section, but haven't looked closely at those..

No costco near us by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:27:24 AM EST
I do 90% of my grocery shopping in a small, crowded, lucrative Wegmans. I don't think they're in your neck of the woods, but check them out the next time you're in NoVa (or New Jersey, or north central PA, or upstate New York).

au contrarie by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:59:23 AM EST
various rumors abound about Wegmans buying the local grocer Ukrops..

(I'm amazed no costco near you -- thought they were in every suburban market..)

We have no Ikea or Trader Joes by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 11:02:17 AM EST
or Whole Foods near, either, though people say Wegmans is better than the latter two.

It is. By a lot by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Jul 18, 2009 at 07:49:43 AM EST
We have a Wegmans by us and they're building two more.  We regularly go out to dinner at Wegmans because they're cafe is good and we can now buy cold single beers to have with it.  Being that my girlfriend lived in upstate NY for a while, she loves the place.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
The nearest wegman's by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Jul 18, 2009 at 09:26:31 AM EST
took over an entire mall (ok, maybe half of it. There is this little stub-mall sticking off of it). I can't imagine any area supporting more than one of these. I suppose that this is some sort of super-giant-size mutant, and not a typical wegman's.

Wumpus

mostly wegman's

heh by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 08:53:53 AM EST
I have 4 Wegmans within 5 miles, and 2 of those are within 1.5 miles.  All are doing quite well.  We shall see when the Walmart behemoth store goes in next door to one of them if that dominance continues.

East Avenue represent! [nt] by lolwhat (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:00:46 PM EST

If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.
Say hi next time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:42:15 PM EST

Isn't Wegmans one of those places that by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:39:58 PM EST
overcharges charges a premium for quality food?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Yeah, but who doesn't? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:41:37 PM EST
Their store brand staples are cheap, and kalamata olives are expensive regardless of who offers them.

I do think they try to differentiate themselves from  run of the mill stores with the premium stuff.

Salad and chilli sauce sir? [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 11:59:42 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
wipo by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 10:09:32 AM EST
suspects.

my WIPO by barooo (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 11:08:46 AM EST
Since I can't top-post at work (dunno why).

For grilling:
Slabs of pig.  E.g., a tenderloin.  7-min direct med-high sear on each side, 15 minute indirect at 300degrees, 5-10 minute rest.

For barbecuing:
ginormous hunks of cow, e.g., brisket.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Weird idle by Phage (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 11:57:06 AM EST
Doesn't the Kwak have idle adjuster knob on the side ?
Otherwise it's going to have be a pig of a job to remove the carb bank and lower the all the needles

Yes it does by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:01:10 PM EST
but I think the cables are preventing the butterfly from fully closing when the idle knob is out.

The tentative plan is:

1. replace accel cable
  2. adjust throttle cables
  3. if that doesn't do it, recheck float levels
  4. if that doesn't do it, restrict the air flow, again.

Camera by ni (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:15:38 PM EST
I'm buying an M863 tomorrow, which I take to be the model just behind the M320. For both our sakes, I hope it's a good line.

WIPO: Sooooooy!

I've been happy with our C330 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:39:05 PM EST
save for the mode selector know also turns it on and off, and I've turned it on several times when putting it in the case.

Kodak camera by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:28:40 PM EST
Just ordered a refurbed M893 from ecost for similar purposes but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm very nervous about the picture quality because, while SWHTL keeps talking about size and form factor and easy to carry and stuff like that, I just keep looking at those tiny little lenses and twitching.

SWHTL actually turned up her nose at the cheaper model because eCost only had it in pink.... I was all like "look, I'll put duct tape on it, make it look silver, wtf..." but she wasn't having any of it.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I know Canon and Nikon have good names by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:36:36 PM EST
and Radio Shack had a pink Nikon floor model on clearance, but she really wanted to knob on top. I figure what ever makes it easier for her to use is best, she has a good eye, and should develope it.

Agreed. I made a mistake when I gave lamb her by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 12:44:57 PM EST
first camera - I handed down my once-$800 digital nikon (bought for half that as a refurb and now 8 years old) and I emphasized how she should be careful with it because it was a valuable piece of electronics.

The result was that she never uses it because she's afraid she'll break it. I figure a nice PoS errr P&S should ease that concern.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
WIPO by R343L (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Jul 18, 2009 at 12:49:16 AM EST
Asparagus.

Oh god. The lovely asparagus.

I could (and have) eat like a pound of grilled (or roasted) asparagus.

Drooling. Drooling. Drooling.

fish? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Jul 20, 2009 at 06:33:46 AM EST
Like all fish is the same?
For grilling, definitely whole (well, gutted) fresh sardines.