Print Story What I need to live on for three months
Religion & Philosophy
By gzt (Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 12:27:18 PM EST) gzt, wedding, escaping, marathons, tickets (all tags)
So, I'm essentially going to have all my stuff in storage for two months and only have the essentials on hand. The questions is, what should I leave unpacked?

And, you know, what can I get rid of?

The first and easiest thing is the wardrobe. I just have to look at it and figure out what, minimally, I need to have to attire myself for work and such without doing laundry too often. And suits don't take to storage well, too. But I might overlook some stuff.

But what books do I need?

What other stuff? Some kitchen stuff will be around.

Anyway.

It looks like I'm getting tickets to the game on Friday. Going to drag the woman there. She's never been to a baseball game.

Hmm. I need to think about who I'm going to have in my wedding party. For serious. There's my brother. Okay, I need three more people, including a best man, and there are certain religious requirements of the best man. I had an idea, but his wife is due around that time, so it didn't seem wise to burden him with any sort of time commitments should his presence be required elsewhere, which it may very well be.

Does long distance running make you weak? I say yes. Further, marathons are silly ideas, especially given the high incidence of overuse injuries in runners as mileage piles up, the large time commitment the training requires, and specificity of the adaptations promoted by the training. Discuss.

I'm eating almonds. Discuss.

I need to rethink how I sleep. I sort of sleep with my head on my arm. Sometimes I wake up with pain similar to golfer's elbow in the arm I slept on. It gets better during the day.

I think at the end of the month it will be time to back off a little (for a couple weeks) on the lifting. I'm starting to accumulate little aches and pains. That fits well with everything, actually, to slow things down then. Minor things. A couple little sore things here and there that go away after a day or so.

Test prep. Four months. I'm on it. Well, sort of. I'm not totally sure how I should best tackle the material. Oh well. It's my key to escaping in January, though. I must do this. Must. Must. Must.

Wedding prep. Three months. I'm on it. Definitely. Nailed down dates for premarital counseling yesterday. Made a decision about invitation wording. I think we'll make it after all.

< The American Dream | Future Proof >
What I need to live on for three months | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
if the wedding is in Houston by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 02:40:53 PM EST
make clock your best man!  wouldn't it be hilarious to meet your best man for the first time at the rehersal dinner?!

nah, it's Chicago by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 02:46:44 PM EST
And, like I said, there are certain religious requirements for the best man which he doesn't meet. That would certainly be great, though, it's the sort of theater I appreciate doing.

I don't think long distance starts at 26 miles. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 10:26:17 PM EST
I think probably 10k counts as long distance.

26.2 by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 10:37:38 PM EST
No, long distance doesn't start at marathon. 10K might, but you don't need to put in too much mileage to train for a 10K. Though, yeah, I don't know, I suppose you'd class 10K as long distance. 5K, though, is not.

enough mileage to complete a 5k or 10k by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 07:04:54 AM EST
is not the same as enough mileage to have pushed yourself for a good personal time either.

Exercise adaptations and evolution by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 06:50:04 AM EST
Thinking about it, your typical marathon runner would be able to catch the prey, but wouldn't be strong enough to kill it. Your typical weightlifter would be strong enough to kill it, but that would be kind of academic when you can't catch the fucker.

I'd suggest a hybrid - run a half-marathon while lifting weights.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

sprint by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 08:12:28 AM EST
Sprint speed, I think, is key to catching prey. True fact: elite Olympic weightlifters have better times in the 40 meter than elite (Olympic) sprinters (at least, when measured at the olympics in the 60's). Elite sprinters are also strong and typically incorporate lots of heavy lifting into their programs.

Not sprinting by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 09:06:00 AM EST
If you watch these survival programs or stuff about African hunters, they run for hours tracking animals. Then they tend to use a spear or arrow or something - nobody can sprint as fast as a gazelle/horse/hippo.

You have to admit that someone running 13 miles while lifting weights would be incredibly funny.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

interesting. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 09:26:51 AM EST
But what about primitive European-style hunts? The point isn't to outsprint them on the 40m or 100m level, there's just no way to beat a gazelle. But a good explosion at the 2-10m level? I don't know. Maybe that doesn't work, either. Who the hell knows? I don't deny that humans are pretty good at long slow distance running at the expense of explosive sprint speed, especially compared to other animals, but, well, whatevs. That makes them weak.