Print Story Mmmmm. Hog fat.
Food
By hulver (Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 12:24:51 PM EST) (all tags)
I have visited the farm, and picked up the first batch of meat.

Pig meat

Pig meat

I've managed to fit it all in my freezer, apart from one joint which for quality testing purposes is roasting in my over right now.

My saw some 10 day old baby pigs as well, which were really cute. And the massive mother called Hilda, who was not. She was awesome, and very defensive of her litter, so we didn't stick around long.

I will report back on how the meat tastes later.

Update [2009-7-12 20:16:51 by hulver]: The meat tasted fantastic. The crackling was crunchy and good. The meat was succulent with a fine flavour and firm meaty goodness. There was a thick layer of juicy fat under the skin, but the meat itself is quite lean. The juices made a lovelly gravy.

Roast pig

Gravy juices

Roast pig

< Imminent | I really should write more often. >
Mmmmm. Hog fat. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WOW by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 12:56:04 PM EST
That is a lot of pork my friend. I wish I could come over to help consume it.

*twinkle*twinkle*

SWINE FLU: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 01:33:14 PM EST
BACON'S REVENGE

(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 03:15:43 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

No, he'll still be playing the pork flute by marvin (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 03:18:26 PM EST
He thinks it is kosher.

(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 03:20:02 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

Hey, um, by komet (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 02:06:10 PM EST
did they give it to you frozen or room temperature? If it was frozen what steps were taken in packaging and so on?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Not frozen by hulver (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 03:12:33 PM EST
Chilled. The joints are all vac packed, the sausages and sausage meat are wrapped in cling film.

They're all freezing in my freezer right now.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

*droool* by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 03:22:00 PM EST
Oh man I'd love to help with that.

____
So much pain in the world... by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 05:07:02 PM EST

Sheep, chickens, and cows demand equality by marvin (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 05:17:15 PM EST
Why do humans eat lamb, eggs, and veal, but not piglet? All barnyard animal species should be subject to their young being used as food.

End the discrimination against cows, chickens, and sheep. Eat a piglet today!

People are a species that lives on a farm as well. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 08:06:57 PM EST
But their bacon is vile and bitter.

Leela: This all must have something to do with the secret ingredient.
Fry: My God, what if the secret ingredient is people?
Leela: No, there's already a soda like that - Soylent Cola.
Fry: Oh. How is it?
Leela: It varies from person to person.

--top hat--
Bipeds have no meat on their backs. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:50:06 AM EST
Well, none to speak of.

There's a joke about New Jersey in there. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 08:10:39 AM EST
But... Nah. Too easy.

--top hat--
well we do by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:06:48 AM EST
Suckling Pig is nice...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Four legs good, Two legs bad by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 08:31:59 PM EST
or is that: Four legs good, two legs better

Mmmmm. Hog fat. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback