Print Story Sporting reporting
Love
By gzt (Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:11:53 PM EST) gzt, work, vibram fivefingers (all tags)
So the $INTERDEPARTMENTAL Olympics were yesterday. A good time was had by all. I got slightly sunburnt in a couple places, not bad enough to hurt or be noticed, but it'll peel in a couple days. Afterwards, I went home and then to the gym.

I hit a home run in the softball game. Apparently it was pretty impressive. I don't know if it was the farthest of the day, though. The other team had some real athletes. The fun part of the whole day was sprinting. I wore my Vibram Fivefingers.

I went to the gym later in the evening. I picked up heavy things and put them down. I'm not going frequently enough to do anything other than repeat the same weights, and a relatively low weight, at that. Yesterday it was bodyweight for squats, half that for overhead presses, and somewhere in between for cleans. I was too ambitious on the cleans, so I gave up during the second set of three (there were supposed to be five sets). Well, I was goaded on because I had done three singles at 75kg while warming up for deadlifts the other day and it felt pretty good. I though, well, why not try 68kg? The answer: because it is too heavy to work. It'll come back quickly, though.

I have a wedding today right after work. I think I'll sneak into the choir. Then we have to kill 2.5 hours or so before some alumni event just down the street (not attending reception).

Ah, unemployment rates. It's starting to look pretty tough in the market. The real killer isn't so much the layoffs, but the lack of new job creation. The layoffs also suck. I'm glad to be employed right now. As always, that could change in the twinkling of an eye.

This batch of shirts I got from my roommate, I think the arms might be slightly small. I thought I could wear 34/35 sleeve, but these really could use another inch. Hmph. They're fine to wear on their own, but with a jacket, they get swallowed up. Or maybe my jackets are too long. It's possible. It's probably a little of both. I should get this figured out soon, I really need to know how big I am.

I need to start looking for places to live. I need to move on August 1st. I hate moving. I hate looking for places to live. Fortunately, it does not look like it will be too hard to find reasonably-priced housing in decent neighborhoods right now in our price range. Ukrainian Village looks like an attractive option.

I'm not sure whether the tie I'm wearing really goes well with my shirt and suit. I'm wearing an oxford grey suit, by the way.

And, with that, I need to get a lot more work done.

< A touch of grey kind of suits me anyway | Vacation >
Sporting reporting | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What heavy things did you pick up? by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:13:26 PM EST

barbells. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:16:48 PM EST
I thought that would be obvious from the context, though I suppose those exercises could be done with dumbbells.

It's hard to tell because you call them by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:22:59 PM EST
'heavy things' instead of barbells. Is that irony, or did you just forget the name of them?

well, all right. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:27:19 PM EST
I call it "picking up heavy things and putting them down" (I sometimes also call it "picking up heavy things and putting them over my head", but that would really only be days I focus on the two contested Olympic lifts) because calling it "lifting weights", for some people, seems to include the possibility of playing around on machines. I suppose calling it "barbell training" would be most accurate. However, the further clarification in the next couple sentences describing the exact exercises done (squat, press, clean) should remove any ambiguity about what, precisely, I did.

However, it didn't remove the pretentiousness. by Fela Kuti (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:38:57 PM EST
Can you do that, now?

Nah. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 04:20:04 PM EST
I'm quite happy with what I wrote.

Yeah, that's my point. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:42:24 PM EST
Maybe it will cause you to look inward for once.

pffffffffffff by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 12:53:18 AM EST
pffffffffffffff

Perhaps ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 11:52:23 AM EST
you should read this comment

Cicero, The Republic
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 08:23:45 PM EST
Any good Google-search or dictionary will assist you, alleviating the need to make silly blunders like this one in the future.

You know what? by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 09:47:28 PM EST
I think you also need to read this comment.

Cicero, The Republic
This is one of those comments that seems witty by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 08:16:58 AM EST
to the guy writing it, but it's actually just silly and pedestrian.

Touche by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 09:33:42 AM EST
To be fair, though, it doesn't actually seem all that witty to me. It was intended to be silly and pedestrian to begin with. I just find it amusing that your comments in both instances highly resemble that which you're criticizing. That's all.

Cicero, The Republic
Only here could it be assumed that pointing by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 03:31:46 PM EST
out something you admit is there is considered pretentious.

Only here? by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 04:03:59 PM EST
O boy, you must not get out much.

Cicero, The Republic
foolish mortal by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 04:15:20 PM EST
He meant this corporeal world.

That was just a terrible response. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 06:56:42 PM EST

fivefingers: by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 12:17:16 PM EST
I have the urge to go and buy some. What are they like? Do you feel awkward wearing what are quite obviously shoes of justice in public?

I enjoy them. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 04:22:30 PM EST
They tire the feet out a little bit until you're used to them. It's not awkward, though I do get stopped on the street a bit. They are quite comfortable, though you do have to avoid stepping on largish things for your comfort.

Sporting reporting | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback