Print Story Riding and Coding and Not Much More.
Software
By ObviousTroll (Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:48:31 AM EST) (all tags)
My facebook app has been overhauled and is now feature complete - including GPS tracks, although the testing of those has been minimal.

Please give it a look if you have a mind and let me know what you think. Even if you don't use face book you can play with the demo user.

(links and other stuff inside)

Demo User - Main App

Coding with Google Maps and Google Charts has been a lot of fun; Facebook not so much - the apis are apparently in constant flux and poorly documented. They also severely lobotomize javascript, so I can't directly put google maps in an FB app, they have to be in an iframe... and by FB rules that means I can't have the maps pop-up when you click a button, they have to appear in a new page altogether.

Minor nits, I suppose. It's been very satisfying, though to think about applications from a user viewpoint instead of from the bit-shuffling point of view. I just realized last night... after I submitted the app to Facebook for approval... that I needed a real security model to restrict who could look at whose data. The good news was that my code wasn't that far wrong, I just needed to think it through. Similarly, the only hard part about writing Maps mashup is that I'm barely at the cargo-cult stage as a Javascript coder - I just don't write it enough (or PHP, really), so I can read it and understand it, but writing it from scratch means spending a lot of time googling around and looking for tutorials and examples.

Meanwhile, my reputatation at work for being the guy you give insane problems to remains undiminished. The current one involves a customer's performance issues which we can't reproduce and performance problems with an opensource project - which I had thought was the source of the customer's problems but, no, and btw, the opensource developers can't duplicate the bizarre degradations I'm seeing.

Sorry, can't really be more clear than that without various incarnations of $THE_MAN coming down on my head.

What else? I've been riding like a maniac this year, but almost all short 10-15 mile rides - my weekends have been too booked to do anything longer. I'm planning on running out to Lancaster Real Soon Now and do a tour. (I actually linked the preceding to a graph showing my rides, but then I realized that the new security model says you can't look at it unless you're my friend.... Sigh.)

One thing I did do recently, though, I started helping some boys get their merit badge in astronomy. That turned out to be a lot of fun, because I got to lecture and joke for about 60 minutes and then show them my scopes - which both worked perfectly. I was worried because when I turned on the electronic one I discovered we hadn't been out observing since 2007. It was a lot of fun watching and interacting with people who were still blown away by the Moon, Saturn and the Hercules Cluster.

< mad mile | A touch of grey kind of suits me anyway >
Riding and Coding and Not Much More. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Booked weekends by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 01:53:07 PM EST
yeah, I think every one but Aug 7-8 is booked. I need to print out a calendar to co-ordinate everything.

Astronomy by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 10:04:17 PM EST
In college, in southern Utah (at 6000 ft, and hours from any city) we had an observatory with a 14" Cassegrain (sp?) scope. Lots of fun to play with. The Professor was building a 1 meter newtonian. I remember when the mirror arrived. I took 6 of us to carry it. A 1 meter diameter piece of glass weighs alot.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh, yes. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 10:23:32 AM EST
I've seen guys with their own 22 inch or even 30 inch "portable" scopes. Generally, "portable" means "permanently mounted on a trailer."

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
? by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 11:30:50 PM EST
Lets say  I was an AOL user and I then went to MSN user status and having both of these software on my puter messed it up. Do I need to wipe everything to fix it> I kinda didn't think the back up discs were that needed so Kinda tossed the buggers.
Oh fuck the ponies - fuck it all...
No, that's not insane, just stupid. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 10:26:49 AM EST
Insane problems are the ones where you slowly come to believe that the problem must have been caused by an unusually high density in the local space/time neutrino flux, because there's no other possible explanation.

One time I found a problem that was caused by an interaction between the memory allocation libraries in Linux and certain patterns of network traffic in a performance test.

It's the kind of thing that makes me terribly paranoid about "optimizing" code.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 10:31:53 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

Good testers are like gold by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 06:40:18 PM EST
That combination of sadomasochism, patience and intelligence is terribly rare.

I'm not a good tester, I'm the guy who gets the job of figuring out how the tester made it crash.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
(Comment Deleted) by SunlightGirl (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 07:50:36 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by SunlightGirl

I'll post it here as well. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 12:32:37 PM EST
As I don't have any confidence in teh FB chat thingy.

I try and import this line

2009-01-25,15.4,9.15,01:41:00,Pootle

And get

Warning: Missing argument 9 for validate_entry(), called in /home/heinztru/public_html/fb/export.php on line 103 and defined in /home/heinztru/public_html/fb/validate.php on line 3

The entry goes in, but has no speed or distance added
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Fixed now. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 12:45:10 PM EST
Cheers!

I've stuck all my rides in from the other web site I was using. Looks good :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock