Print Story mad mile
Books
By cam (Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:42:53 AM EST) (all tags)
Once a month our office does a 1600m time trial for the fun of it. Basically we do four laps and time ourselves. Someone always brings a camera so there are plenty of happy snaps and we now have pics of the mad mile all around the office. My time this go round was 6:16. Previous times have been, 7:08, 6:25 and now 6:16. Improvement.

One of the guys did a 4:51 and came within 20m of lapping me before I got on the fourth lap. That is fast.

cam
< The last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed | Riding and Coding and Not Much More. >
mad mile | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
1600m time trial by Herring (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:13:15 AM EST
I reckon I could do 2'10". I might have to try it - if I can find a flat straight.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
mile ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:18:55 AM EST
C'mon, we all want to know if you can do a 12 sec quarter mile.. That's the only number that matters..

(12 b/c you're stock.. Modified, I'd say under 10)

Brave folk by duxup (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:26:19 AM EST
Our office tried to do just a good old 100m foot race. Everyone in the race was about late 20s to mid 30s.  Off hand I warned the organizer that these folk who think they're still fit but are actually out of shape and wouldn't end well.  Not to say I didn't sort of want to see the carnage.

After the end of the races there were:

1 Torn ACL
1 Concussion
A handful of skinned arms, and knees one requiring stitches.
1 Visit by an ambulance

HR later declared there would be no more races on company property and to do such things after hours.  Fortunately, a local director told HR where to go.  Even so there still haven't been any races.  It was just too epic an event to redo I think.

____
How did one person get concussion? by cam (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 08:40:53 PM EST
Falling or just an odd running style?

cam

Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Fall by duxup (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:20:58 PM EST

It was brutal.  Dude looked like he was looking for another gear to shift into that maybe ages ago he had, foot caught the ground and it was like his feet just disappeared out from under him and his body kept moving forward and down bounced his head off the ground.

____
You're down to 6:16? by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:35:10 AM EST
That's a pretty good clip. Better than I can do by over half a minute.

4:51 is nuts.

Cicero, The Republic
this pic by cam (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 11:43:29 AM EST
has me finishing my third lap and ari (the 4:51 guy) is about 20m behind me. Very very fast.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
there's your pic me0w by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 02:10:31 PM EST
and cam, get those bi/tris a workout..

He does look a little gaunt. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:23:53 PM EST
I'm not sure what you mean by bi/tris, but he could certainly put on 20#.

they aint so bad by cam (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 04:20:26 PM EST
I have a bit of a skinny frame anyway and photos of running make you look as uncool as possible. Pic of me afterwards exhausted

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Fascinating by me0w (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 12:31:08 PM EST
How about a picture of your hair?

Damn by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 02:23:29 PM EST
I currently would have to push to do an eight minute mile.

Back before my knee made me stop running (and back when I had to move about 30 pounds less) I would do four miles in thirty minutes.  I think my fastest time was 7:20 or thereabouts.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

mad mile | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback