Print Story I'm Generating Content!
By atreides (Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 11:43:42 AM EST) (all tags)
It's been so long! Well, that's the way it feels, anyway...

So, here's how things are looking around the Satrapic Household...

Welsh Girl is doing fine. Well, she's actually a little worried about a few things but, then again, aren't we all? Not having her salary has put a bit of a dent in our savings, which were not ample in the first place. Other than that, for the most part, she's doing well.

The Despoina thrives. For a while we were worried about her weight because the doctors told us that she should be gaining an ounce a day. We hept trying to feed her all the time to little avail. A lactation consultant, on the other hand, told us that it should be about 4 ounces a week. By that metric, the Despoina is well ahead of the curve. More than anything, it is teaching us that the Despoina, for the most part, is a good judge of her needs. We also took another trip to L-Town last weekend. The trip up wasn't all that bad. The trip back was a little rougher. Luckily, she has decided that she likes pacifiers and that is a boon to us all.

Welsh Girl and the Despoina are going back to L-Town this weekend. Welsh Girl is doing a Pure Romance party for one of her friends up there. I'm not going because a) I don't really want to travel up there two weekends in a row and b) why am I going to give up that much time for an event that I myself can have no part of? Therefore, this weekend, I'm free!

What am I going to do with my free weekend? For starters, I have declared Saturday to be "Drednought Saturday". You see, I've been looking through my 40K stuff, specifically at the unpainted and/or unfinished stuff. I already know that I have enough unpainted to turn into a second army if I really want but the my Dred situation has completely caught my attention. I bought a metal one years ago (8 or 9 if memory serves) to use in a conversion project. When Black Reach came out, I got another one with the Marine part. Trading the Orks from that set with someone else for the Marines gave me a third. I bought a fourth cheap on Ebay. About 3 months ago, I got a great deal on a bunch of new in box stuff and got another Dred from that. I now have 5 unpainted Dreds and that is unacceptable. So I'm going to spend the next couple of night prepping them and basecoating so Saturday I can paint them all. Last night, I actually started work on that conversion project I envisioned all those years ago. I think it will be cool. I cut the multimelta off of one of the plastic Dred arms (better than cutting it off the metal arm with a dremel) and replaced it with a metal giant hammer arm from a Chaos Dred (after cutting off all the chaos stuff, of course. No traitor Marines here...) and bonding it all with superglue and Green Stuff (a two part epoxy putty used in modeling for filling and sculpting). It already looks great. Once I add more details and various accouterments, it'll be awesome. I don't usually trick out minis too much because I don't like it (and my Marine Chapter considers ostentatious ornamentation to be vanity, emphasizing the warrior over the army and the mission. Everyone knows where pride goeth...), but this one is special. Now I have to make some homemade assault cannons and find some bits to use as shoulder mounts. This old one is going to be a monster of a Dred when I'm done.

Saturday night, if I feel up to it after painting, I'm thinking about going to a party. Okie Girl is hosting a little soiree for her betrothed. He moved here from San Diego several months ago. A bit of a weird guy, but that's the pot calling the kettle black as it were. Still a good guy though. And I'm still on good terms with Okie Girl, unlike Party Girl and some in her sphere. She's never crossed me and I'm pretty fond of her so we're still cool. There may be barbeque and board games involved in this party so all the better for me. Besides, I don't out much anymore so this will probably be good for me.

So Party Girl knows that I keep an online journal and that I refer to her as Party Girl. While she accepts that that was a more accurate moniker when I first met her, it's not too descriptive now. She'd like for me to change it to Plant Girl or Garden Girl. I'm not going to, of course. It's my diary and once I give someone a name, it sticks (unless something big happens that changes my mind but that's neither here nor there) but I will say this much: Party Girl and Misslake would totally plant geek together in a nursery over a couple of six-packs. I am curious, though... Assuming you weren't using their real name, if someone you wrote about asked you to change your handle for them, would you? That's what polls are for...

Work is, well, work. We've been spending the last few days with a new software system, massaging it into place for a presentation to the Crazy Lady Attorney. Two days ago, we were doing things that we should have done a month ago. Yesterday we were doing things we should have done a week ago. Today we're training and presenting, but CAB can't make it. Meh. Well, at least I have a job. I'm a little worried because a couple of our clients have taken their work back and are doing it in house. And the client that was a part of Citigroup? Well, the less said about that, the better. If everything with this software works out, it'll automate a lot of things which could lead to needing fewer people to do it all and since there are only me and my boss, two guesses who goes if there's not enough business... A minor worry since I know my boss wants me to stay so I can do the grunt work and she can concentrate on other things, but something to think about nonetheless.

I'm working on a Flickr page for the Despoina but I'm slow and lazy. But one of these days before she is in elementary school I will have it done. I may take some time this weekend to work on it some more, but we shall see.

I think that's about it for now. I'll be going into training soon so wish me luck and project any awake karma you can manage. I never do well in these things...

< Unattached Feline Stylized Mobility | Lured into Catan >
I'm Generating Content! | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Baby weight gain charts by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 11:47:52 AM EST
Are linked to on a post here.

Turns out that the charts were previously based on formula fed babies, not breastfed ones.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 12:16:24 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

The breastfeeding movement is alive and strong by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 01:25:06 PM EST
in the US, though I don't know why it's La Leche instead of MilkPower!

OTOH, Facebook thinks a picture of an exposed breast would destroy western civilization.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:40:10 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

it's not the beef, it's the corn. by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 03:19:02 PM EST
you've heard the phrase "corn fed," right?

i breastfed.  the dude only got formula in the hospital (not my choice, long reason why it happened), some during the week we were visiting clock's family (it was cold and dry, he needed more food, i was so dehydrated i couldn't produce more, so i gave him 2 formula bottles a day in addition to the 4 regular feedings), and to top him off after he switched to solid food and didn't want the boob any longer (only lasted 2 months).

i have no idea why i'm explaining myself.

oh - and we don't eat industrial beef.  only grassfed from a local rancher/farmer.

the dude was wearing size 6 month clothes by age 2 months.  he's now 21 months old and wearing size 3T pants.  in shirts he's in either 2T or 3T, depending on the brand.  i'm about to make him a pile of new PJs and they will all be 4T, because i'm tired of dealing with new clothes.  he can grow into them.

also, they will be big PJs made of cotton.  i'm a bad mother, as he might catch on fire wearing such stuff.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:42:34 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

i think i'm saying by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 07:42:29 PM EST
that the phrase "corn fed" hasn't left this side of the pond it seems.

re: pj's on fire.  we always joke about putting out our cigarettes on the dude, so thank GOD all children's pj's sold in this country are flame retardant.

People should have the choice by dmg (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:12:26 PM EST
Of whether to feed their children hormone-packed milk. Rational participants in a market are able to make such choices without government intervention.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
That assumes by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:36:24 PM EST
products are properly labeled so that people can make informed decisions.
the Market will take care of that by dmg (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 09:38:31 PM EST
 after all - you don't believe anything someone tells you without question?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Ah. An idealist. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 09:47:47 PM EST
I guess, then, you haven't heard of the lawsuits to prevent putting "hormone free" on milk cartons. Or the ones to outlaw labeling products as "Non-GMO". Or to change the definition of "Organic" to allow water treatment plant sludge to be used as fertilizer.
Yes an idealist. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 10:19:49 PM EST
 All that stuff is BS. It is up to the individual to make up his/her mind, in an environment of total information awareness.

To the extent that one doesn't know what one is putting in one's mouth, one should exercise extreme caution.

The Market is a panacea, but it is no substitute for common sense.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
My point, tho, is by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 09:58:39 AM EST
if you have two cartons of milk, one with hormones and one without, but the one without is prohibited by law from saying that on the label, how are you to make the choice? How can you be informed if you are prohibited from having the information?
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:37:40 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Indeed with freedom by dmg (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 09:39:26 PM EST
comes responsibility. welcome to my 'responsible' world...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Yep, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 04:41:26 AM EST
up to 10000 ppm pus is already permissable. I presume that's % dry matter, obviously.

Names by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 12:26:01 PM EST
It'd confuse us simple readers.  It's not like we're going to be able to pick "partygirl" out of a lineup of strangers is it?

I once changed a nick by request by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 12:48:56 PM EST
I was a bit surprised that it was a contentious nick. I don't know that I would have done it for anyone other than the person who asked. Sometimes fights just aren't worth fighting. The funny bit, I think, is that this person also requested that I change the nicks of other people. I drew the line there.

As for the Despoina and her being healthy, the thing to keep in mind, which doctors didn't usually tell parents back in the day when my wife and I had our first child, is that every kid is different. The `normal' range in most areas is pretty broad.

Cicero, The Republic
FAILURE TO THRIVE! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 03:22:52 PM EST
heh.

she looked great to us.  the neighbor across the street finally gained weight for the first time in 9+ months.  he's 5 weeks older than the dude, but the dude has 10lbs on him.  all kids are different and stuff.

it takes a while to get used to the new financial situation.  you'll find new ways to cut back, and it will all work out.  almost every month we're tweaking our budget to squeeze out every penny of fun money we can find!  this month we'll be switching to line drying clothes, especially the diapers (which consist of the most laundry we do).

WIPO by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 03:30:33 PM EST
Only if I were sleeping with them.

Interesting theory with one minor flaw... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:19:44 AM EST
If I'm sleeping with them ,I'm not going to tell them. The only reason Welsh Girl knows is because I married her...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Well then by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 10:47:50 AM EST
They won't ask you to change the name.

Now if you are (or hope to be) sleeping with them (and wish to continue), and they want their name changed, the answer is "Yes dear".  Otherwise, they can fuck off.  :)

Baby feeding by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:46:41 AM EST
As somebody who has been overweight for as long as I've been conscious of the concept, I've always wondered why there is such a historical and cultural obsession among parents with making sure that their kids are eating enough.  Yeah, maybe in the 19th century you had to worry about "wasting away" but that's just not a problem in America anymore.  You spend the first five years of their lives trying to get them to eat, and then they have to spend the rest of their lives trying to get themselves to NOT eat.

I'm Generating Content! | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback