Print Story record heat
By StackyMcRacky (Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 09:01:59 PM EST) (all tags)
it sucks

We've had record heat the last week or so.  100+ temps.  In June!  Ugh.  It's making me extremely nauseated and pukey.  The a/c doesn't feel like it's keeping up well.  Today I sweat buckets, even in the coolest room in the house.  Last pregnancy I couldn't get warm;  it seems that is not the case this time.

My poor tomatoes will be dead soon.  Too hot, too much sun.

The last 2 days I debated trading in my sewing machine for the high-end one I originally wanted.  They've been discontinued, and the dealer is wanting to get rid of the floor model.  Trading in my current machine, I could probably pick this one up for a few hundred clams.  I've gone back and forth 1000 times.  clock is annoyed.  I'm 99% sure I'm going skip it.  I'd rather put the money into other stuff, like fabric for maternity clothes.  If I still want it in a year, I'll just pony up the money (and trade in!) for the newer model.  I do love the machine I purchased recently, even though it's one of their low-end models.

I cranked out 3 pair of pj's for the dude today.  Easy-peasy on my serger!  They're so cute, I entered them in a "sewing for children" contest on a sewing web site.  I'm sure one of the girl outfits will win, but I had to enter anyway.  Go boy clothes!

clock would like me to point out that I've been really snappy today.

I'm starting to get a belly bump.  Before when you poked on my stomach, it was flat underneath the loose skin and fat.  Now, there's a solid bump.  I can feel it when I stand at the sink and wash dishes.

Doctor appointment for confirmation is scheduled Wednesday, btw.  We'll get the blob ultrasound pic, and they'll set the due date (my doc uses size for due date, not olde-fashioned inaccurate LMP!).

My wonderful husband bought a ceiling fan for my office today.  I don't have one because I never used to spend much time in that room.  Now it's where I spend most of my evening and weekends.

We're keeping my parents' dog this weekend.  They're in Jackson Hole.  I should have stolen their plane tickets and gone up there.

Ugh, the boy is not asleep yet.  "MOMMY!  DADDY!"  We can't play Lego Batman with him in the room!  Well, maybe we can.  Hrm.  "MOMMY!"

< Let's talk about sweat, shall we? | Beautiful Weather >
record heat | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Record temps... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 09:30:34 PM EST
You have my sympathies - SWHTL made absolutely certain that I wouldn't knock her up later than September so she wouldn't be pregnant in summer time.

But, dang, you're really sewing up a storm. You get a lot of credit for that - I haven't seen SWHTL or anyone else uncork their sewing machine in years.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
47 degrees (the metric kind) by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:43:18 PM EST
I've finally learned what heat means this year. One summer in Melbourne was more than enough to teach me that human beings are simply not able to function effectively beyond a certain temperature (at least ones brought up in the North of England). A full week of 40+ temperatures back in January nearly saw me off.

On the day Melbourne reached 47 degrees (and hundreds died in the wild-fires that followed), I managed to get on a plane to Perth where it in the positively cool mid thirties. The plane I took was delayed half an hour due to a leaky tap in the loo. During that half hour, the temperature rose around 10 degrees and got to the point where the little 737's engines no longer had enough puff to get us off the ground in the low density atmosphere. After all our bags had been taken off the plane (and shipped after us on a 767), we finally took off into one of the bumpiest flights I've flown. Meanwhile, my poor GF stayed in Melbourne and baked slowly. Utterly, utterly horrible. You have my sympathy.

Ugh.

47C? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 12:28:45 PM EST
geez.  it doesn't get that hot here!  then again, 103F with 65% humidity can feel nastier than a dry 47C.  the time i spent in Phoenix AZ taught me that.

Honest question: by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 07:07:58 AM EST
Why do you make your kid his clothes? It's almost certainly cheaper to trade friends for clothes or even buy them new. Is this like a hobby kind of thing or something?

multiple reasons by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 12:33:39 PM EST
  1. it's not always cheaper to buy.  crappy synthetic PJs cost about $15/set.  i got this all-cotton fabric at a going-out-of-business sale for $5.  i was able to make 3 sets out of it, and still have enough left over to do something with.
  2. i've loaded up from friends and family as much as i could.  most people i know with older boys are either in a smaller size or the same size (my son runs on the big side) OR they live up north and only have winter clothes.
  3. hobby thing.  being a SAHM is really boring for my brain.  sewing is extremely technical, and keeps my brain busy and happy.

Those are good reasons, I guess. by Fela Kuti (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 07:56:45 PM EST
I know we tend to shuffle clothes back and forth between cousins and friends, but as they get older it's harder to get boy stuff that isn't in shreds. Girls stuff not so much, but they seem to get picker about what they wear faster.

another reason by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 10:59:39 PM EST
easier to test out new sewing techniques on little clothes where the wearer won't care how it looks than on my clothes.

I'd hug you by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 03:16:23 PM EST