Print Story Bike shops named and shamed
Cycling
By nebbish (Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:02:05 AM EST) (all tags)

I use Apex Cycles in Clapham who are great, and have the edge over Brixton Cycles by being a bit cheaper and bit less busy.

Another good one I've used is Halfords (!) in Charlton, who have a very friendly and helpful manager in the bike section, though this was a few years ago.

Bad ones I've used are London Fields Cycles (rude, and tried to overcharge me massively); Greenwich cycles (friendly but lazy); and Brixton Halfords (amazingly rude staff).

< on chillin' | Round Up >
Bike shops named and shamed | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
On yer bike by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:30:41 AM EST
On Tooley st just south of London bridge are fucking brilliant.

Nothing too much trouble; took my bike in for a bearings service.  On collection, they'd also tightened the brake cables, gear cables and put the front tyre on the right way (apparently I'd put it on arse about face "can't have you sliding out on corners, Sir!") - for free.

Friendly and knowledgeable staff; as a result I bought all my new lights, hat and lock there by way of appreciation.

Pedal It near Borough tube are also pretty good; they buy up auctioned bikes, service them and sell them on at bargainous rates.  I don't know if they still do it, but the bloke that sold me Helen Daniels also offered a full refund if I brought the bike back within a week if I wasn't happy with it.

Pedal It sounds interesting by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:35:08 AM EST
Good system, I might pay them a visit.

I think On Yer Bike actually get a bad mention in the Guardian comments - it probably depends a lot on which member of staff you get (and how nice the punter is, can't say my customer service is impeccable when I'm dealing with arseholes)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Customer service I find by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:40:34 AM EST
Is usually reflective.  If you've some respect for people, you usually get it returned in spades.

Pedal It - used to be called Peddle It so I don't know if it's being run by the same people or not.  I've had Helen for yonks now.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:51:18 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:02:51 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Aye by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:15:17 AM EST
Sample comment -

"For rudeness and a ridiculous sense of self-importance you can't do better than Brick Lane cycles. A while ago I got a flat very near by the shop (and had no tools on me as it was a quick to the shop-and-back) and so went in to buy an innertube; after I changed it I asked if I could borrow their pump, and was told that it was a 50p charge, which I've never experienced any other shop doing. The guy who served me was complete jerk as well. A number of other friends have had similar experiences dealing with the pointlessly surly, smug staff. In one case a friend asked a staff member how much a particular bike on the wall was, and the guy simply replied, 'you couldn't afford it'!"

Never used them myself, couldn't comment.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:26:59 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

My theory by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:29:04 AM EST
Xth has a Brompton - they are a bike mechanic's beautifully engineered wet dream and they probably love working on it.

You're right, I work in customer service myself, you're not going to get good service if you're a rude customer.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:39:16 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Ah by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46:01 AM EST
Thought you meant Evans and Cycle Surgery refused! I can't really see how they can have an exclusive deal unless it's something to do with the warranty (or parts I suppose).

I'll ask my dad, he's got a Brompton and he'll have tried a local bike shop first if he's ever had to get it fixed.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:29:31 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:34:13 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:37:30 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:41:56 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Heh by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 04:42:30 PM EST
And I've just written a positive comment about them :-)

Bike stores by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 10:51:54 AM EST
I bought mine from the only store who actually understood my requirements. Most of them were trying to sell me granny-bikes, one didn't listen at all and just waved a catalogue full of stupid retro trendy things around. This place actually assembled two or three bikes especially for me to try some different ones (with/without suspension, different seating positions etc.) and was perfectly happy for me to run around the block on them, with no ID provided or anything. It was also the only place where the store side of the conversation was entirely in swiss german.

Nice to hear by Herring (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:16:31 AM EST
Some shops have a problem I think with people trying stuff and then buying it from the internets. All the wakeboard shops in my area started charging for demos (money back when you buy a board) a few years ago because of this. Some shops have a problem with staff who are more 7331 than you (I can beat you downhill you skinny fucker).

The Evans near here is OK. I decided to stay with them when they made the switch from outsize womens clothing.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Camera shops by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:23:14 AM EST
When I was researching to buy a £££s digital SLR camera I went into a camera shop to ask to try one out and was basically told to fuck off. Thing is, there's no way I would have bought it from them because it was £200 cheaper online and they probably knew this. God knows who their customers actually are though.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

True by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:23:28 AM EST
"I have bicycles older than you, mate."
One of those situations by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:20:47 AM EST
That's probably 100 times worse if you're a woman.

I've been into bike shops with a female friend and seen just how patronising they can be (she asks the question, shop assistant turns to me and gives me the answer, etc)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

A vote for Apex by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 04:40:39 PM EST
Bought my first London bike from them, back when I'd saved up for a Marin Point Reyes. Really helpful bunch, much goodness.

As of late, now that I'm a trendy single-speeder, I've gone to Brick Lane Bikes a bit more often. Their mechanics might be a bit blunt at times - think it's in their Polish nature - but they know their stuff and are happy to discuss options and even give their opinion on what colour component looks best! God, I've turned into a bike tart...

Or a pole lover by Herring (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 06:37:40 PM EST
BTW Herne Hill Velodrome. The nearest proper indoor place is down near Bournemouth.

Of course, you're welcome to join l'Etape d'Husi which is a sportive event to be run late summer around a Surrey course which I have yet to decide upon (but will start/finish near Tattenham Corner station - probably at the Derby Arms as it's the nearest non-chav pub).

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

L'etape by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 05:28:21 PM EST
Love to, but am not convinced about my hill climbing ability on a single speed with 52/16 gearing.

Am definitely up for a blast around Herne Hill though, always wanted to go there and give it a try... and to not worry about suddenly stopping pedaling after a fast sprint...

Bike shops named and shamed | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback