Print Story Everybody wants to rule the world.
Furries
By gzt (Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 03:14:21 PM EST) gzt, clean, back, meetings, settlers of catan (all tags)
So I won at 5*-player Settlers of Catan last night. It was glorious. It started out at 6, hence the asterisk, but one of the players has been ill and was so tired she started crying at the prospect of having to make any decisions, so we left the settlements on the board and played without her.

I won on somebody else's turn during the second building phase by snatching longest road. I had three cities and two settlements. I built two roads for victory. Lumber was scarce the whole game and I didn't have any brick, but there was a lot of brick around. My main competitor had four cities and a settlement, but nowhere else to build, no knights, and nowhere to put enough roads to get longest road. The only way he could win was by buying dev cards in the hopes of getting a victory point (waiting to acquire knights would be too slow, most likely). If I didn't get longest road that turn, I was about to play and win by having the largest army on my turn. I thought it was a pretty good game. One of the other competitors, I think it was her first game, had a very good shot if given enough time because the rest of us were boxed in and she had space. She ran out of roads, however, so that capped off her potential on that front. Still, in the not-so-long run, she would've won. She was the only one who could expand and could've won solely by upgrading to cities.

Reading that strategy guide, though it really isn't too deep and didn't contain much that was new, helped. It gave me confidence in things I intuited were good strategems, but waffled on implementing.

Went to the gym yesterday. I tried to clean 185, racked it and had to dump it. I should start throwing in some front squats soon, since I'm racking heavy enough weights that the recovery is a problem, but my back squat numbers indicate I have enough raw strength to do it.

I'm running around all over the place these days. I need to do something to guarantee that I can hit the gym frequently enough. Today is a rest day, but if I don't think of anything, I'll be out of the gym until Friday because of activities in the evenings. I think I'll cope by using one of my coworker's strategies: coming in terribly early in the morning and leaving early. That should give enough time to go to the gym after work. Tomorrow is photographer, Wednesday is gaming, Thursday is dinner with friends of R that I have to meet.

Crap, I think I should start looking for new apartments, since I'm moving August 1st. AAAAH.

Crap, I think I should start booking venues for receptions, since I'm getting married October 18th. AAAAH.

Work! Bah.

I think I need more fiber. I've been lazy about it. Oh well.

I just remembered one more thing I have to do at work. Whoops! That was about to fall off the ol' radar. I'll do it tomorrow... morning. I just noticed I have a helluva lot of meetings tomorrow. Back-to-back.

I really should find out why my back is sore. Picking up heavy things helps it and I am gradually getting more flexible all over, but, well, I've been mentioning it in diaries for years.

< Lost weeks | I hereby declare myself the winner of the Iranian election. >
Everybody wants to rule the world. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
have catan rules changed? by R343L (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 03:25:33 PM EST
Second building phase? Building on someone else's turn??

I don't recall ever being able to build on another player's turn. I suppose there could be new development that allow you to play them on another turn but even that seems odd.

With 5-6 player expansion... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 03:30:18 PM EST
...there's a second building phase during each player's turn where everybody else gets a shot. This is because otherwise everybody accumulates too many cards and it's very easy for players to get completely shut out before their turn if 5 people get to go before they have any shot at building.

Hrm. by ni (4.00 / 3) #4 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 03:56:26 PM EST
You posted a link a few weeks ago to a website containing "The Settlers of Catan: Completely Annotated Rules and Almanac (v1.5)". Pg 19 says that you cannot win on someone else's turn, and pg 23 (footnote 49) clarifies that this applies for the 5-6 player expansion as well.

I sincerely hope that this is the dorkiest comment I ever post.

Hmm. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 04:01:43 PM EST
I don't recall posting a link to a site containing the rules, but thank you for pointing that out. I will notify the other players. However, no other players would have been able to take longest road from me or attain victory conditions before my turn, and if they were able to take longest road, I would have been able to take longest army on my turn for victory.

I had an inkling that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. But, we all recognized two things: my victory was unstoppable and it was getting pretty damn late (we already had to send one player off to bed in tears becasue of fatigue).

Longest Army?!?!? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 04:11:30 PM EST
What the hell kind of Settlers game are you guys playing over there?!?!?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

you sunk my jengaship by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 04:26:15 PM EST
House rules, m'boy, house rules.

Link to above-referenced rules by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 11:34:31 PM EST

(I was curious, so I just threw "The Settlers of Catan Completely Annotated Rules and Almanac" into google and it popped right up, figured I'd post it here for anyone else curious but lazy).

weird by R343L (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 04:28:23 PM EST
Perhaps when we got the 5-6 player expansion we never bothered to read the rules to learn this. We were always frustrated by the "oh crap a 7 just got rolled and I have a ton of cards" problem but that usually only affected the end game really when you were rolling in resources. When you added cities and knights with city walls it hardly ever seemed to matter.

It would be easier to follow along by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 03:46:00 PM EST
if you recorded video of the board during play and posted it to YouTube, then embedded it in your diary.