Print Story My weekend was manlier than yours
By georgeha (Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:01:25 AM EST) varmints, bondo, Commies, metalz (all tags)
concretin', bending metal, spray paintin'

Plus my old pal the Palm, garbage picking, end of Scouts, rodents and less.

No poll.

It was a nice summer Saturday, full of work. Concreting, autobody work, even some coffee roasting. There were some suspicious holes in the yard, near the driveway, so I filled them with steel mesh and concrete. I also did a lot of body work on the van, including a big sheet metal patch for the holy part. It was fun figuring out how to bend 24 inch long 22 gauge steel (clamps and long pieces of thick wood), and made me wish for a semiautomatic pop-rivet tool. There's still lots of bondoing, sanding, priming and painting to go.

It was also a mellow Saturday, since twelve year old and bff were off to the last Girl Scout camping until the fall. I picked them up Sunday (and got to see the GPS show our van as dot on a featureless green plain) and took them for bagel's, since they didn't get enough to eat Sunday morning. They didn't like my suggesting of catching a squirrel and eating it.

Sunday was even better, with the girls spending time with my parents. We did the Goodwill thing, grocery shopping, and even biked to a garage sale, and then some garbage picking (they had a moving sale the day before, and left a pile on their front lawn. Mrs. Ha got a book, I got a USB webcam, and newspaper_dad drove by).

In a third bit of rodent news, we have a bunny living under our porch, who likes to scamper under the porch or into Mrs. Ha's garden when startled. Neither girl wants to me to name it Hassenpfeffer. I guess we'll call it Bunny McNuggets.

A few weeks ago I saw a Handspring Visor at a garage sale, for $1! I wavered, but picked it up, having many fond memories of my Palm IIIs. It's back to old PalmOS 3 diversions.

In media reviews I'll start with an incomplete reading of Krugman's The Great Unraveling, a collection of his New York Times columns. While I like Krugman as an author, his columns don't do much for me. Yes, I get it, Bush's economic policies are bad, but you need a chapter to explain why. Just a few paragraphs doesn't do it.

In the next review, I finished Halberstam's The Coldest Winter. I liked it. It dealt not just with the fighting, but the political background. It would be easy to take it as a book about how naive and shrotsighted the Republicans are on international security and the Communist menace, it's even easier to read it as a book about the fall of MacArthur, who comes across as an out of touch vain General who's biggest success, Inchon, was due to North Korea's Kim Jung being even more vain and out of touch (the Russians and Chinese warned him Inchon was vulnerable to amphibious assault). The poor performance of the Americans in Korea, misjudging the Chinese, isolating UN forces near the UN and trying to start a full scale war against China are all big failings of Mac. If there's a hero, it's General Matthew Ridgeway, who knew Korea would be a long, slow, bloody war, and possibly the long suffering Truman. If there are villians, MacArthur's officers like Almond and Willoughby certainly count.

It's also a good book on showing how anti-Communism became America's prime foreign policy concern, the switch from World War II to the Cold War. The American politics around Korea and the Cold War led us into Vietnam, though South Korea became the success that South Vietnam never became.

This weekend has become less busy than I feared. Originally twelve year old had an interview for the two week summer camp on Saturday, followed by a bday party an hour away (it's also Mrs. Ha's bday). The party got changed to Sunday, to coincide with the charter school family picnic, so we'll be doing a bit of driving. I'm hoping it's dry and still enough Saturday to do some more body work.

< on bits and pieces | Hugo Diary #5 >
My weekend was manlier than yours | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Palm by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:09:51 AM EST
I don't know if I've ever truly loved a device more than my Palm Vx.

I reallly wanted a Palm phone by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:12:36 AM EST
but couldn't convince myself it was worth it. Maybe in two years.

Twelve year old has taken my old IIIx, and I have a VII sitting around too.

A Vx? Bah. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 02:57:27 PM EST
Why, I had one of the original Palm Pilots! Before they got sued!

Now that was real man's computer.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I still have a Palm Pro by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #22 Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 03:21:49 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

watch out for by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:12:00 AM EST
rabbit fever.. But wild (yet suburban) hares are pretty tough/sinewy and extra gamey.. I leave my plonks for the vultures/crows (who within 5 minutes of plonking are already scavenging the carcass)

Heinlein liked to talk about that by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:17:39 AM EST
but he never discussed how to tell if a bunny had it or not.

In further shame, seven year old did not know who Bugs Bunny was.

The rednecks growing up by barooo (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:41:09 AM EST
Said that was the reason you only ate rabbits in the winter, after a hard freeze.  It killed off the sick ones or some shit.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Makes sense to me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:46:26 AM EST

I don't think rabbit fever is a big deal to humans by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 08:05:33 PM EST
Perhaps for the sort that will dress game with bare hands and not wash up afterwards, it might be a big deal. But handling the carcass properly and cooking it fully should do the trick.

But the liver should also be checked for cysts and/or discoloration.

And don't eat the brains.

Cicero, The Republic
Wild or not doesn't matter... by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 03:11:09 AM EST
Jackrabbits are nasty, cottontails are delicious.

More on MacA and the rest of the Battan Gang by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 02:50:54 PM EST
If you enjoy that sort of thing I'd highly recommend reading W.E.B. Grififn's "Under Fire" and "Retreat, Hell!", the latest two novels in his "The Corp" series.  It talks a lot about how MacArthur failed to anticipate the war in korea and again failed to anticipate Chinese intervention, mainly because he believed his close staff officers (like Willoughby) over all others, and they tended to avoid telling him anything he didn't want to hear.

Linkys:
Under Fire
Retreat, Hell!

I'll keep an eye out for them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 02:57:41 PM EST
Halberstam also talks about how Mac felt he understood the Oriental mind, and how they would react. Lots of racism on his part and Almond's about what sort of fighters the Chinese would be.

Palms and Bunnies by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:02:01 PM EST
I actually wrote software for those buggers; my M-i-L still has my 3c. Don't think she uses it, though.

On the other hand, M-i-L also has bunnies and isn't happy about that whatsoever - last year they pretty much ate her entire garden. My brother in law and I dug a trench around the whole thing this year and ran a fence of chicken wire around it, 4" above and 12" under. It's anybody's guess if that will keep them out...

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
The front garden is all flowers by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:03:34 PM EST
the back garden has veggies, and the dog. So far bunny stays in front.

I bought a book on Palm programming for Dummies, but I'm not a programmer at heart.

.... OMFG. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:07:44 PM EST
Do you still have it? Do me a favor.

Check the appendix. Page 350.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I will when I get home by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:10:09 PM EST
I think I still have it, in the basement of old computer technology.

LoL. No biggie. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:12:30 PM EST
It was one of my brief brushes with, what, not fame, relevance maybe?

They included an app I wrote on the CD as an example of how to write Palm software - but I never actually met anyone who bought a copy of the book.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I used to have that book by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 04:22:30 PM EST
I ditched it years ago.

Cicero, The Republic
Probably for the best. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 09:01:45 AM EST
I have a copy I could lend you if you ever need it.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Astro Info v 1.10 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 04:52:18 PM EST
but they didn't list P.D. Clown.

Yeah, I was forced to use a pseudonym. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 08:59:57 AM EST
They were trying for a broader demographic than the just the coding-clowns audience.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Took them for bagel's WHAT?!? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:29:31 PM EST
FINISH THE STORY!

bad mistaken apostrephoe by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:31:22 PM EST

i wrote by 256 (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 01:09:54 AM EST
about the first 10% of the novel i'm currently finishing on a Palm V.

shit... i should work on completing things faster.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I used to write web pages on mine by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 06:40:50 PM EST
in Grafiti.