Print Story on bits and pieces
By clock (Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 08:02:58 AM EST) (all tags)
It's been an eventful couple of weeks.

Having blixco drop by last weekend was awesome.  We always have a great time getting out the guitars, making dumb in-jokes, and generally taking things too far.  Which, in my opinion, is as far as they need to go.  I must note that most of the recordings that we released here were done stone cold sober.  There was some whiskey added later, purely for his voice.  Medicinal needs and all.  We'll adjust that next time.  And when will next time be?  WE'LL NEVER TELL.

There's something that might have been intimated in another user's diary in The Hole that I am not going to discuss for quite some time but it's effects are already being felt in our household.  I've been losing some weight and generally trying to up my level of fitness.  I'm going to do the 100 pushups in 6 weeks or what-the-fuck-ever thing it was that I downloaded a while back.  To keep up with The Dude and pick up any necessary slack will require me to be ON.  And it is ON that I shall be!

Yes, I am excited.  Probably moreso than I let on.  If you know what I'm talking about, try not to mention it on that evil site that a lot of us visit.  I wouldn't want certain people finding out and all that.  Everything about this project is under wraps for now.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is the new hotness around the house.  I think that I do a pretty good reading of it.  Enough to get giggles most times, but Grammy gets all out laughs when she reads it.  I think my son is laughing at his maternal grandmother.  This is not surprising given my relationship with my maternal grandmother.  It's how we roll,  yo.

Stacky finished my work pants.  They have pockets.  Lots of pockets.  In fact, there is a pocket ON a pocket.  Take that to the bank, motherfuckers.  I can carry some shit!  I haven't had a chance to wear them yet as my garage activities have been put on hiatus by the fact that it is NINETY-PLUS FUCKING DEGREES ALL DAY EVERY DAY UNTIL SEPTEMBER.  That's right kiddies, it's clock's time of the year to bitch about the weather.  It's over the top, kids.  Over the top.

That said, I still need to finish up a couple of instruments and am hoping that working in my studio to do that will be doable.  Mostly, it's carving.  No sanding or particulate creation.  Though I do have a lute that needs some finishing.  Hrm.

I ordered one of the shiny new iPhones.  Stacky thinks it is a silly toy.  She is correct, but allows that I can have silly toys.  The fact that getting said phone originated with a discussion on how we could lower our cell phone bill because we never use our phones serves to fill the irony quotient.

Hopefully we will stick with our no plan weekend.  Breakfast with my dad on Saturday is the only commitment I can bring myself to make.

Since I'm not going into my studio nightly due to the general creative doldrums that I hit at this time of year, every year, I have taken to killing the stack of books on the end table.  Knocked out an interesting biography on Erik Satie.  I like the nature of his work and he's an interesting character to follow.  Now I am re-re-re-reading The Great Gatsby because I like it.  Next up: One If By Heaven, Two If By Hell by the guy who grew up in the house next to ours.  He sent me an autographed copy that arrived yesterday.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I respect that he wrote it while commuting into and out of Boston every day.  The pile gets deeper from there as I have allowed a backlog to build up.  It will be addressed right quick!  I always forget how much better I feel if I read before bed.  OH!  And I will finally get around to ordering certain local authors' books.  There's a summer to fill here, people!

< We'll not carry coals. Or: this could be a big mistake. | My weekend was manlier than yours >
on bits and pieces | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
iPhone by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 09:10:58 AM EST
There's an argument coming between me and The Wife.

If only it was on Verizon. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 09:13:11 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That is a point against it by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 09:15:22 AM EST
But AT&T actually seems to have solid coverage around here, so I'm not too put off.

heh by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:21:54 AM EST
i just don't see the value in paying that much for a phone plan.  but that's just me - i miss my star tac phone, so what do i know?

i'm switching to pay-as-you-go.

My current phone is work-provided by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:30:36 AM EST
I can't run a business from my day job's phone, and I can't run it from wherever I am on a cheapy.

I <3 pay-as-you-go by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:44:03 AM EST
I have VirginMobile, which seriously sucks in customer service and their phones are utter crap, but I pay about $7/month. I think when my current phone finally dies for good, I'll probably switch to Verizon's pay-as-you-go service. It's a bit more expensive, but it looks like substantially better quality.

i'm going with T-Mobile by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:07:20 PM EST
$100 for 1000 minutes, good for a year.  So you're just paying for the minutes you use and that's it.

Maybe I should point out by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:47:53 AM EST
That The Wife has a go phone with texting disabled, and only carries it begrudgingly.  Suggesting that I pay $200 for a phone and $80 a month to use it is crazy to her.

sounds like stacky! by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:57:34 AM EST
but she is very tolerant of my eccentricities.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

She tolerates my eccentricities by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:06:36 AM EST
Unless they come with monthly payments.

you wont regret it by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:36:40 AM EST
they kick arse, best thing around atm.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Me too by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 10:55:44 AM EST
My wife wants one but:
  • It's a silly toy
  • She breaks/loses phones roughly every 2 months
  • How much? For a phone?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well I wouldn't buy one as a silly toy by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:05:54 AM EST
If you actually plan on using the features for actual purposes, it's a screaming deal.

Well by Herring (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:18:42 AM EST
I'm not planning on using it at all. It'll just be another piece of tech for me to pay for and support.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Satie by Herring (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 11:23:42 AM EST
I have a big book of his piano stuff. Quite interesting to play. He was barking mad though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
agreed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 12:10:37 PM EST
and a fascinating composer.  the bio was OK.  i'm sure i would like it less if i read it again which is quite unlike his work.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Alexander and the Terrible by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:05:51 PM EST
was very popular with grandmothers around my house, too, in years gone by.

For me, though, the sentimental favorite is How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight. We must have read that hundreds of times, with me in the recliner with a kid or two on my lap.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
just panned gatsby last night. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #18 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:27:01 PM EST
girl on the bus asked for some classic recs, she mentioned an interest in GG and i told her jay was a trustafarian. she winced and said she'd pass on it after all . . .

Excellent. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #22 Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 05:51:49 AM EST
You know, sometimes I think it's a while since you made a great comment, and then you come out with something this good. Cheers, ammo!

The fact that Jay was a racketeer being shafted by trustafarians makes it even funnier, of course.

Weather issues by theboz (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 09:05:36 PM EST
A coworker asked me today why I was breathing funny.  This is after we took our "smoke break" to walk to a nearby shopping center at about 3:00pm to get some ice cream.  Like you, I'm not made for this weather.  However, at the same time, I've grown more accustomed to it so I am too weak against the cold anymore and couldn't live further north.
- - - - -
commuting into and out of Boston every day by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 09:11:03 PM EST
is a great way to write.

Kellnerin + train + iPhone = unstoppable (in her own mind, at least, and whoa is there a lot of room to wander around in there)

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

I've been out by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 04:51:11 AM EST
of the buying-toys loop for a while now but...I'm getting an iphone when I get back.

on bits and pieces | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback