Print Story Rum.
By ana (Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:06:57 PM EST) Rum. (all tags)
A review.

So in Key West there's a joint called Rum Runners, which is a small bar that specializes in, you guessed it, rum.

For the great unwashed, they have various concoctions involving umbrellas and fruit juices.

But on the top shelf... Oh, what a top shelf they have.

Last May (the one in 2008), we were in Provincetown at a B&B called the White Porch Inn (heartily recommended, by the way). In the parlor, they had a cut-glass decanter of something wonderful, with some small cordial glasses, and the guests were invited to help themselves to a nightcap. We wrote down what it said on the bottle, but it turns out that it was a rum they'd picked up in the Dominican Republic that wasn't available stateside.

So we picked out a different Dominican Rum at the liquor store, Ron Zacapo Centenario, 23 years old. It's pricey, like a single-malt Scotch. It's also very very smooth, and goes nicely with the cranberry and rhubarb pie I happen to be eating at the moment.

Anyway, in Key West last week, we wandered in to Rum Runners, told Randy the barkeep the above story, and asked him what else he had that was comparable. Quite a lot, it turns out. The three we tried (over three days, I think) were Pyrat (not quite as smooth, and a bit tobaccoey), Ron Augustura 1919, which was a delight (but the liquor store here only has the 1824; this is not the date it was put to bed, no). And Ron Centenario 20 year, which comes in a trendy leather-covered bottle. Also very very smooth.  Oh, and Zaya, from Trinidad, 12 years old. With a bit more bite than I actually like.

Sorry, blixco, I can't do justice in words to a bottle, unlike your memorable review of a very special bottle of Rye.
< Translation | Fascism in the UK - All Labour's Fault? >
Rum. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I am not a huge fan of rum by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:24:30 PM EST
but I will drink it.

I had a bottle of Pyrat at one point, some high end version.  It was decent.

I wish I liked it more than I do.  I really do.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Try Ron Zacapo. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:25:19 PM EST
It's astonishingly good.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Also, I will quote myself. by blixco (4.00 / 6) #6 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:41:54 PM EST
Some of these people are dead (as this appeared March 13th, 2003 for fucksake, on k5):

A toast to the lost and the sick. A toast to the found and the healthy, the wonderful energy inside of each drop of blood. A toast of rum for MisterQueue! A toast of jackal's blood and gasoline for coillte! A toast of warm cinnamon liquor for superdiva! A toast of vodka, on fire from a match from the hand of a beautiful waitress, for trhurler. A toast of trapper's ale for Canthros! A toast of whiskey for Mr Badger! A toast of kapusta and rye for johnny! A toast of anything flammable for mrgoat! A toast of catnip and gin for fluffy! A toast of meade and monacle polish for rusty! A toast of chai and tequila for moonvine! A toast of scotch for my friend czernobog! A toast of Canadian Mist for Froopyloot! A toast of Irish Cream for Audrey II! A toast of red wine with a chaser for clark9000! Rice wine for muchagecko! Room tempereature ale for hulver, and codemonkey_uk, and whoever tombuck is these days! Cinammon schnapps for duxup! Some 151 and a manhattan for Wing Envy! A toast of whatever Jim wants for jimgon! Meade for kellnerin! Irish Whiskey for myself and Alarmist and Slothrop! Mortismo gets something green and effortless! Toast to anon868, wherever he may have gone, and whatever he may want! A toast to terpy, something dark and powerful! A toast to bukvich who gets more vodka! A toast to jw32767, some rye and a chaser! Infinitera and I drink to self-rule, a glass of tequila and a chaser! A toast to littlepest, a cocktail of brain powered drugs! A toast to iGrrrl, some dopamine enhanced solution! To Stick a toast of treacle and rum! To the Bedlington Ape, a banana daqueri! Wachusett Winter Warmer, a pint for leviramsey! For Bob Abooey, a slug of Thunderbird!

And for the rest of you malcontents, you writers, you readers, arguers of symantic fine-lines, creators of worth in this ocean of chaos, makers of opinion and consumers of resource, life giving wonder and ageless argument.....to you, I raise my bottle of whiskey, I drink in your name, in your honor, in your memory. And lastly, two things:

A toast to the dead, to the forgotten and the cold, the hungry and the lost, the stoic and the insane, the soldiers and the trenchmen, the beggars and the sailers!

And finally, long live the world! This holy thing, steeped in the blood of our forefathers, awash with the frailties of our dreams, a blue candle-light in the darkest space...our lives, our hopes, our wanderlust, the endless sphere of our universe, I drink to the world.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Amen. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:52:04 PM EST

Most of those people are here at HuSi. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:49:53 AM EST
Sometimes, anyway.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

oh, man, the names by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 09:04:11 PM EST
Sometimes I find it hard to believe how long I've been me.

Also: Mmmm...mead.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

I find it somewhat amusing... by ana (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 09:34:04 PM EST
that I was under the radar at this stage.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

You and many by blixco (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:33:11 PM EST
were, indeed. Plus I was drunk when I wrote it.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
And I find rye appalling. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:30:56 PM EST

Find some Old Portrero by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:36:42 PM EST
if it exists any longer.  Cask strength, scary spirit.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Sigh. Old Potrero by R343L (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 10:55:22 PM EST
So, when I lived in Potrero Hill, I once wandered into my corner store which has a pretty decent liquor selection and noticed Old Potrero up on the shelf. I pulled it down, checked the little price sticker (they do those rectangular house-printed ones) and it looked like maybe 50-something but was hard to make out.

I took that and the beer I really came for to the counter. It rang up at around $120.

Sadly I had to ask him to take the Old Potrero out, apologizing for my inability to read a price.

Sad. Perhaps I should just get some regardless of price?

Yes you should. by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 02:03:14 AM EST
I confess I'm more of a rum guy than a rye guy, but that would probably honestly be worth it.

It is very good, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 09:52:50 AM EST
and I can't find it any longer but the most I ever paid was $85.  It was well worth it, very very good frontier rye whiskey, especially with a touch of ice or water.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
well... by R343L (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:11:32 AM EST
This was a neighborhood corner store.

And... by blixco (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:14:40 AM EST
...they had it, which is a rarity.  They can charge more just for that reason.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
It was $58.95 in chicago when I got it by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:01:33 AM EST
Actually, that was the sticker price. The liquor store was going out of business and I got it at 20% off.

Yah yah yah. That sounds good. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 09:32:09 PM EST
I think msrat and I will be visiting Key West sooner rather than later -- And she need not know about this part of the trip.

Love Key West by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:02:27 AM EST
The Conch Republic is extremely cool.  I'm glad you and TF got a chance to go there.

I had a company meeting there once in 2001 or so (back when you could go to cool places for meetings) and loved it.

I got annihilated at Irish Kevin's and took in the length and breadth of Duval Street, drag queens and all.

Wonderful food, excellent atmosphere.  +++Would Go Again.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
Just umbrellas and fruit juices? by duxup (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 10:56:57 AM EST
I demand battery powered robotic characters entertaining me in my drinks!

____